Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Harbor Beach

13K views 89 replies 32 participants last post by  seabass810 
#1 ·
Up for the weekend and so far have a walleye, Atlantic and a steelhead in box. Tried the trick with or 16s on the dipseys and a 50ft lead of fleuro to the lure and the Atlantic and steelhead came on those. 170 and 185 back, screwball and mixed veggies. Walleye on a 300 weighted steel with a purple carbon.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
View attachment 845136

#50 ·
When my dad died (tragically, suddenly)- the most comforting thing I did in his honor was to travel up to the thumb to “ be with him”. I placed a cedar wreath on sanilac pier with his old wonderrod and reel. Still have some ashes and I owe him a sprinkle over that way. He always mentioned epic trips to north island by bay port as a child. If I ever get a boat- the ashes will be spread out there.

#52 ·
Teenage memories: Had a ton of rain in the fall of 1977 which swelled up the creeks. Mature kings swimming between rows of beans couple miles east of Ruth. Carl was out there with a pitchfork until told it was illegal. Smelt dipping, spring of 79 in Forestville. Of course slinging cleos, shoulder to shoulder, off the breakwall in Harbor Beach every September. Brown trout in the Willow creek in the fall. Late April trolling for salmon with bombers off the cemetery in 20ish fow in the late 80's.
Could go on and on, I had to get a few in....

#54 ·
Teenage memories: Had a ton of rain in the fall of 1977 which swelled up the creeks. Mature kings swimming between rows of beans couple miles east of Ruth. Carl was out there with a pitchfork until told it was illegal. Smelt dipping, spring of 79 in Forestville. Of course slinging cleos, shoulder to shoulder, off the breakwall in Harbor Beach every September. Brown trout in the Willow creek in the fall. Late April trolling for salmon with bombers off the cemetery in 20ish fow in the late 80's.
Could go on and on, I had to get a few in....
Sorry for the good old days rant…but I have to respond to this post. I most definitely remember the fall of 77. I know some might not believe that.. but I do. The thumb got a several inches of rain in late August. School hadn’t started yet. Every river,creek,ditch went out of it banks from Port Huron to Grindstone. About every 5-6 days until the end of October we got rain. The creeks never dropped. The kings were in anything that flow to Lake Huron. I remember sitting in my tree stand bow hunting and watching kings bust a creek the that normally you just jump over. It sticks in my mind only because of what happened one morning. The first buck of my life with a bow….a decent six point walked in but was in some thick stuff down stream from me. He started heading in the wrong direction. A king busted up and went over a log jam and was flopping around, it spooked the deer and he trotted back towards me. That buck stopped and focused on this king flopping around and gave me a shot. Funny a king was player in my first buck with a bow. 1977…got my drivers license had a $75.00 Ford Pinto..last bell of the school day..what do I do tonight? Hunt or fish? thanks for jogging my memory.

#59 ·
Please keep the good old days stories going! We use to have a place just north of HB right on the water. Was an old canal right next to the house that during my time, was always filled with cattails and phragmites. Anyway, my father recalls there was one small ditch that ran into the canal that went through the yard and into the woods. One fall while closing the place up for the winter it rained a lot a few days prior. There were salmon trying to jump over the culvert under the driveway. He said there are pictures somewhere of fish laying on the driveway.

#65 ·
I don’t even think my reel guides would pass a loop that large and it just seems clumsy on top of that. One thing I worry with this setup that I’m about to trial run is if a thrashing fish and force against the diver would allow for the clips to fully release while retrieving. Almost thought about a secondary attachment off the front of the dipsy with a snap swivel to the mainline in case of accidental release. But then that is just one more thing to disconnect to remove the diver.

#67 ·
Launched around 1 pm. Planned on fishing the evening Checked temperature and sonar in multiple spots found nothing I liked until 160 fow. Picked up a walleye on-7 color, ryan's flounder in 165fow.Had a double- rigger and dipsey went off at same time in 170fow both silver fish .Green jeans on rigger lost fish at boat. Sand Burr on dipsey 75 ft lead with s clip set at 200.I was solo went 2 for 3 only fished about an hour and 2 footers turned into 4 footers. 1 other boat fishing went 2 for 4 in about the same time frame. His fish and mine in picture.
Food Ingredient Staple food Seafood Animal product

#68 ·
My long line dipsy rig with the offshore pin clips as mentioned in earlier posts above did well today. It ended up taking one lake trout, one steelhead, and hooked up with most likely a second steelhead. I will be upgrading all my dipsies with the offshore releases. The long lines definitely have the advantage! Ran two other standard length lead dipsies with similar spoon patterns and depths with only a small walleye to show.

#78 ·
Thanks. I must be doing it the hard way but I gave up on slide divers after trying to set the firs pair out. I don't know, it just seemed like a pain in the a$$ but I'm pretty lazy and I was deploying lines solo. Went back to the normal wire divers with longer leaders and figured I'd just handline them in. Next season its going to be braid and S-dipsy's.

#87 · (Edited)
I ran the SW dipsey and replaced the "S" snap with a big Duo Lock from one of my Jet Divers and it seemed to work good during a recent trip to Wheatley. I ran it with both #0 and #1 dispeys. I think a 25 yard leader is too long. I didn't have a 10lb rocket on the end of the line to see how easy it was to unclip it from the loop during the battle.

Bicycle part Eyewear Rectangle Symbol Triangle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.