Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Thanks for posting. I was thinking that you could do a hybrid between the two videos that might be even easier to manage. Why couldn't you connect 50 feet of 25-30 lb test mono or flouro to your braid with a Uni-Uni knot (or whatever knot you prefer). That way, I could just put the OR-16 on the braid (behind the pin) and it would slide down until it hit the double Uni and it couldn't go any further. I would put the second OR-16 on the mono, behind the pin and it should stay put as-is, since spoons don't pull that hard. If it was sliding, you could always add an overhand knot in the mono, or put a stopper on the line, etc. After removing the Dipsey, the knot would reel right up the guides and into the reel, no problem.

This way, you wouldn't have to mess with the 3 loops on either side of the OR-16s, etc. Just attach them and off you go. Anyone see any reason this wouldn't work?

The only upside that I see with the method from the second video is that it would allow you to experiment with various distances from the bait to the diver, whereas my method would be fixed based on the length of your mono leader.
Hey, I watched the video and came up with I think exactly that. Going to test it out Sunday. Obviously the snubber would serve no purpose to blanket the release of the dipsy. I just left it on while tinkering.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Hey, I watched the video and came up with I think exactly that. Going to test it out Sunday. Obviously the snubber would serve no purpose to blanket the release of the dipsy. I just left it on while tinkering.
View attachment 846543
I'm finding this method kind of interesting but I keep coming back to the S-dipsy that just seems easier to rig and remove with just a loop in your braid. I put this ? in as I contemplate switching my wire reels over to braid for just this reason. They need re-spooling anyway and have just not been the well performing rig on the boat for 2 seasons now. I figure the braid, loops for the S-hook and my deeper divers can't be any worse than whats running now.

Can someone explain how the OR releases are easier or faster to deploy?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I'm finding this method kind of interesting but I keep coming back to the S-dipsy that just seems easier to rig and remove with just a loop in your braid. I put this ? in as I contemplate switching my wire reels over to braid for just this reason. They need re-spooling anyway and have just not been the well performing rig on the boat for 2 seasons now. I figure the braid, loops for the S-hook and my deeper divers can't be any worse than whats running now.

They definately aren't, even though I havent tried the other way yet. The reason i wanted to try this way because I liked the idea of a variable lead, wasnt sure how a dipsey would run or release with only one point of contact with the line and didnt like the idea of reeling a loop up into the reel.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I don’t even think my reel guides would pass a loop that large and it just seems clumsy on top of that. One thing I worry with this setup that I’m about to trial run is if a thrashing fish and force against the diver would allow for the clips to fully release while retrieving. Almost thought about a secondary attachment off the front of the dipsy with a snap swivel to the mainline in case of accidental release. But then that is just one more thing to disconnect to remove the diver.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Launched around 1 pm. Planned on fishing the evening Checked temperature and sonar in multiple spots found nothing I liked until 160 fow. Picked up a walleye on-7 color, ryan's flounder in 165fow.Had a double- rigger and dipsey went off at same time in 170fow both silver fish .Green jeans on rigger lost fish at boat. Sand Burr on dipsey 75 ft lead with s clip set at 200.I was solo went 2 for 3 only fished about an hour and 2 footers turned into 4 footers. 1 other boat fishing went 2 for 4 in about the same time frame. His fish and mine in picture.
Food Ingredient Staple food Seafood Animal product

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
My long line dipsy rig with the offshore pin clips as mentioned in earlier posts above did well today. It ended up taking one lake trout, one steelhead, and hooked up with most likely a second steelhead. I will be upgrading all my dipsies with the offshore releases. The long lines definitely have the advantage! Ran two other standard length lead dipsies with similar spoon patterns and depths with only a small walleye to show.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
View attachment 846543
I tested it at Wheatley on Friday and the method worked, however, it only caught walleyes so far. Here's what I ended up doing. I tied a loop knot in my 30# braid about 12" above the double uni knot, then 50 feet of 20 lb flouro. I used the S clip through that loop to the front of the dipsey and then a red OR-16 off the back clip. I put that below the double uni, so that it couldn't slide up any further. It was easy to put on and take off. No issues. Just couldn't find many steelies. Only went 1/2 on the day. Both up high behind boards.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I tested it at Wheatley on Friday and the method worked, however, it only caught walleyes so far. Here's what I ended up doing. I tied a loop knot in my 30# braid about 12" above the double uni knot, then 50 feet of 20 lb flouro. I used the S clip through that loop to the front of the dipsey and then a red OR-16 off the back clip. I put that below the double uni, so that it couldn't slide up any further. It was easy to put on and take off. No issues. Just couldn't find many steelies. Only went 1/2 on the day. Both up high behind boards.
I ran about 50’ of 14 lb flouro as leader, to about a 6” piece of hi vis 20 lb mono to 30lb braid. Double uni both ends of the hi vis. The hi vis was nice as I let line out, knew exactly what to look for to clip dipsy to. I rigged the offshore pin clips(maybe it’s an OR 16, didn’t bother to check.) one on both the release end and leader end of the dipsy. The release end clipped above the mono to braid mainline uni and the lure end of the dipsy release clipped below the double uni towards the leader line. The 6” was enough travel play to let the dipsy release completely.
Kids and I had a great day on Lake Huron. One lake trout, one coho, two steelhead, three walleye, and lost most likely two other steelhead. Three dipsy fish, the rest were a mix of 6 and 7 color Suffix Advanced core on planers. Every spoon we put out got bit I think. Rasberry carbon, Orange and golds, blue and glows, chrome and chartreuse, sorry just don’t know all the pattern names like I know my Maglips :D
Smile Water Boat Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I ran about 50’ of 14 lb flouro as leader, to about a 6” piece of hi vis 20 lb mono to 30lb braid. Double uni both ends of the hi vis. The hi vis was nice as I let line out, knew exactly what to look for to clip dipsy to. I rigged the offshore pin clips(maybe it’s an OR 16, didn’t bother to check.) one on both the release end and leader end of the dipsy. The release end clipped above the mono to braid mainline uni and the lure end of the dipsy release clipped below the double uni towards the leader line. The 6” was enough travel play to let the dipsy release completely.
Kids and I had a great day on Lake Huron. One lake trout, one coho, two steelhead, three walleye, and lost most likely two other steelhead. Three dipsy fish, the rest were a mix of 6 and 7 color Suffix Advanced core on planers. Every spoon we put out got bit I think. Rasberry carbon, Orange and golds, blue and glows, chrome and chartreuse, sorry just don’t know all the pattern names like I know my Maglips :D View attachment 847093
That’s an awesome crew you’ve got there. Way to go.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I’m curious why the red OR 16 clip on that set up? I’ve always just run the S clip with no issues.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

Maybe same concept overall. I just didn't feel like messing with loops and used a spare set of releases I had on hand. I think end of the day it's preference. Perhaps the knot-release style a little quicker to deploy because you simply have to clip the releases above and below a knot. I think the braid loop may be better off hauling big fish like kings in. I am relying solely on knots up against the releases during fighting the fish. Ultimately if enough tension was put on the release, perhaps it would pop one free. I guess the second release should at least stay put til you get it into the boat and remove. I'll continue with it.....until when and if it fails at that point I'll try something different...or just purchase slide divers..:sneaky:

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Thanks. I must be doing it the hard way but I gave up on slide divers after trying to set the firs pair out. I don't know, it just seemed like a pain in the a$$ but I'm pretty lazy and I was deploying lines solo. Went back to the normal wire divers with longer leaders and figured I'd just handline them in. Next season its going to be braid and S-dipsy's.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
I am relying solely on knots up against the releases during fighting the fish. Ultimately if enough tension was put on the release, perhaps it would pop one free.
All of the pressure of the fish would be on the line either way. The loop and the release simply hold the dipsey on the line or keep it from sliding up or down. The fish doesn't add any pressure on the release against that knot. With braid loops, you still have line to line knots, which would be the weak point of the line either way.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts