Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
For me it the late 70’s til 84…grew up in Lakeport. Spent my summers either working at Shomers in Sanilac or Angler Rod in St.Clair. Believe it or not I remember a time before Kings..The fall was all Browns and Steelhead. Until one morning a local guy walked in the shop at Sanilac and asked me and Dennis to look at a fish…it was a chrome king. From that point on it was Ping A Ts,Carlisle floats and a gobs of skein,Cleo’s. The little town of Sanilac was alive all night long in September and October. The parking lot filled at the shop with guys waiting for me to open at 5 am. Heck one Friday night we were so busy we didn’t close..kept the shop open til late Sunday afternoon. Busy all day and all night. We sometimes fail to recognize the great times while there happening. Boy I feel fortunate to have experienced those times. I couldn’t tell you how many pounds of skein I whipped in mule team borax. Lol Again an old guy talking about the good old days.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Funny you mention it. A nice employee at Schommers was indirectly responsible for hooking us up with the freshest of fresh spawn- and mini marshmallows. And I still have a few virgin Pingatees. Also from Schommers. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
When my dad died (tragically, suddenly)- the most comforting thing I did in his honor was to travel up to the thumb to “ be with him”. I placed a cedar wreath on sanilac pier with his old wonderrod and reel. Still have some ashes and I owe him a sprinkle over that way. He always mentioned epic trips to north island by bay port as a child. If I ever get a boat- the ashes will be spread out there.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
When my dad died (tragically, suddenly)- the most comforting thing I did in his honor was to travel up to the thumb to “ be with him”. I placed a cedar wreath on sanilac pier with his old wonderrod and reel. Still have some ashes and I owe him a sprinkle over that way. He always mentioned epic trips to north island by bay port as a child. If I ever get a boat- the ashes will be spread out there.
I often wonder if that rod and reel were salvaged by someone or if it was left to become part of Huron- taken by the waves.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Teenage memories: Had a ton of rain in the fall of 1977 which swelled up the creeks. Mature kings swimming between rows of beans couple miles east of Ruth. Carl was out there with a pitchfork until told it was illegal. Smelt dipping, spring of 79 in Forestville. Of course slinging cleos, shoulder to shoulder, off the breakwall in Harbor Beach every September. Brown trout in the Willow creek in the fall. Late April trolling for salmon with bombers off the cemetery in 20ish fow in the late 80's.
Could go on and on, I had to get a few in....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Teenage memories: Had a ton of rain in the fall of 1977 which swelled up the creeks. Mature kings swimming between rows of beans couple miles east of Ruth. Carl was out there with a pitchfork until told it was illegal. Smelt dipping, spring of 79 in Forestville. Of course slinging cleos, shoulder to shoulder, off the breakwall in Harbor Beach every September. Brown trout in the Willow creek in the fall. Late April trolling for salmon with bombers off the cemetery in 20ish fow in the late 80's.
Could go on and on, I had to get a few in....
Sorry for the good old days rant…but I have to respond to this post. I most definitely remember the fall of 77. I know some might not believe that.. but I do. The thumb got a several inches of rain in late August. School hadn’t started yet. Every river,creek,ditch went out of it banks from Port Huron to Grindstone. About every 5-6 days until the end of October we got rain. The creeks never dropped. The kings were in anything that flow to Lake Huron. I remember sitting in my tree stand bow hunting and watching kings bust a creek the that normally you just jump over. It sticks in my mind only because of what happened one morning. The first buck of my life with a bow….a decent six point walked in but was in some thick stuff down stream from me. He started heading in the wrong direction. A king busted up and went over a log jam and was flopping around, it spooked the deer and he trotted back towards me. That buck stopped and focused on this king flopping around and gave me a shot. Funny a king was player in my first buck with a bow. 1977…got my drivers license had a $75.00 Ford Pinto..last bell of the school day..what do I do tonight? Hunt or fish? thanks for jogging my memory.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Yep. That's how I'm doing it

Sent from my SM-A526U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Thanks for posting. I was thinking that you could do a hybrid between the two videos that might be even easier to manage. Why couldn't you connect 50 feet of 25-30 lb test mono or flouro to your braid with a Uni-Uni knot (or whatever knot you prefer). That way, I could just put the OR-16 on the braid (behind the pin) and it would slide down until it hit the double Uni and it couldn't go any further. I would put the second OR-16 on the mono, behind the pin and it should stay put as-is, since spoons don't pull that hard. If it was sliding, you could always add an overhand knot in the mono, or put a stopper on the line, etc. After removing the Dipsey, the knot would reel right up the guides and into the reel, no problem.

This way, you wouldn't have to mess with the 3 loops on either side of the OR-16s, etc. Just attach them and off you go. Anyone see any reason this wouldn't work?

The only upside that I see with the method from the second video is that it would allow you to experiment with various distances from the bait to the diver, whereas my method would be fixed based on the length of your mono leader.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thanks for posting. I was thinking that you could do a hybrid between the two videos that might be even easier to manage. Why couldn't you connect 50 feet of 25-30 lb test mono or flouro to your braid with a Uni-Uni knot (or whatever knot you prefer). That way, I could just put the OR-16 on the braid (behind the pin) and it would slide down until it hit the double Uni and it couldn't go any further. I would put the second OR-16 on the mono, behind the pin and it should stay put as-is, since spoons don't pull that hard. If it was sliding, you could always add an overhand knot in the mono, or put a stopper on the line, etc. After removing the Dipsey, the knot would reel right up the guides and into the reel, no problem.

This way, you wouldn't have to mess with the 3 loops on either side of the OR-16s, etc. Just attach them and off you go. Anyone see any reason this wouldn't work?

The only upside that I see with the method from the second video is that it would allow you to experiment with various distances from the bait to the diver, whereas my method would be fixed based on the length of your mono leader.
I tied 50ft of 20lb fleuro with a double uni knot the only issue i see with your idea is that there has to be slack between the two clips, like a tattle flag on a planer, if it slips one way or the other theres no slack then the dipsey wouldnt be able to release. The other way is definately quicker and more simple I just wasnt sure if the dipsey would release or run differently with the line only being attached to one end. Also was concerned with reeling a loop up into the reel.
I got quicker with the loops after doing them for a couple days and they come off pretty easy but it may be a little different on the west side with a ticked off king on the end of the line. Already told my buddy we are going to be running them further than 50ft back when we go to manistee the end of the month.
We also decided to run traditional style dipsies in the dark so we wont be messing around with stuff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Please keep the good old days stories going! We use to have a place just north of HB right on the water. Was an old canal right next to the house that during my time, was always filled with cattails and phragmites. Anyway, my father recalls there was one small ditch that ran into the canal that went through the yard and into the woods. One fall while closing the place up for the winter it rained a lot a few days prior. There were salmon trying to jump over the culvert under the driveway. He said there are pictures somewhere of fish laying on the driveway.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts