Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up for the weekend and so far have a walleye, Atlantic and a steelhead in box. Tried the trick with or 16s on the dipseys and a 50ft lead of fleuro to the lure and the Atlantic and steelhead came on those. 170 and 185 back, screwball and mixed veggies. Walleye on a 300 weighted steel with a purple carbon.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
View attachment 845136

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Up for the weekend and so far have a walleye, Atlantic and a steelhead in box. Tried the trick with or 16s on the dipseys and a 50ft lead of fleuro to the lure and the Atlantic and steelhead came on those. 170 and 185 back, screwball and mixed veggies. Walleye on a 300 weighted steel with a purple carbon.

View attachment 845136
I’m relatively new to the deep water game. But I know I like a long leader off my divers (mag dipseys). Fishing out of a small boat and little room on the deck, we usually end up hand lining diver bites in.

Thinking of giving slide divers a go next year, but I’m kinda on the fence. I’m a fan of KISS and they seem like one more point of failure….

Would you mind elaborating on the dipsy/50’ lead you referenced? Maybe a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Reactions: BucksandDucks

·
Registered
6,116 Posts

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m relatively new to the deep water game. But I know I like a long leader off my divers (mag dipseys). Fishing out of a small boat and little room on the deck, we usually end up hand lining diver bites in.

Thinking of giving slide divers a go next year, but I’m kinda on the fence. I’m a fan of KISS and they seem like one more point of failure….

First time I've tried it, tie 50 feet of fleuro directly to the braid on a diver rod. Attach or 16's to each end of the mag dipsey and use those clips to attach the dipsey to the line. As you reel the fish in you remove the dipsey from the line completely and then reel in the fish. No more handlining.

There are videos on YouTube how to do it

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

I am using slide divers this year to get the longer lead. There is a Q and A I posted in the general discussions to help with line twist issues I was having.

Here is a NFN youtube video on how he does the dipsey long leader.

Steve

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Reactions: Sampsons_owner

·
Registered
16,142 Posts
I am using slide divers this year to get the longer lead. There is a Q and A I posted in the general discussions to help with line twist issues I was having.

Here is a NFN youtube video on how he does the dipsey long leader.

Steve
I like the SW dipsy. I tossed one together while out on the water last year. Reel was spooled with only 20lb mono. Worked well. Might not be a good idea on lk M. The braid, floro lead sw dipsey works well too.

·
Premium Member
7,312 Posts
Can’t guys fish where they like anymore or is everyone now required to be the same? Why aren’t you going to Lake Ontario? You can catch 10 kings that size instead of just one.
That’s what I do travel to lake O every free chance I get , 10 fish a outing is about the norm this year. It’s been great fishing but Michigan actually sounds better then last few years but still not good enough. I’ll drive the extra cpl hours

1 - 20 of 79 Posts