Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellow Duckheads......

I discovered my lanyard was missing while preparing for a hunt with my 17 year old son last Thursday night. The 2 of us had hunted the day before in the general vicinity of Fish Point, not with the FP Lodge, but out on our own,....and a combination of errors by both of us left the lanyard laying in the marsh. It wasn't hanging on anything, just resting on some bent over marsh grasses about 8 inches above the water level. My gut was in knots, and I was truly just sick at losing my lanyard.

Like many of you I'm sure, I had some sentimental stuff hanging on that dang leash. There were 2 calls (one given to me by my Dad) a dog whistle, a goose band, and a duck band, the only bling that I've bagged in nearly 20 years of this goofy-*** sport. And the lanyard was a Christmas present from my Mom about 5 years ago....

Anyway, on my sons suggestion, I sent an email to FPL at 9:45pm Thursday night, with some specific directions as to where I hoped it might still be. I didn't sleep worth a crap for the 3 hours I laid down Thursday night, and Friday morning found us in our blind down on Lake Erie.

At 10:30am, my cell phone rings and I'm shocked to hear "Hi, this is Christine from Fish Point Lodge" and she went on to tell me that Doug had found my lanyard, and how he mentioned how lucky I was that the wind had stayed somewhat northerly for the last couple days, otherwise, my duckin necklace woul have been looooong gone!

Operation Lanyard Rescue,... Mission Complete!!! Thank you very much Christine and Doug!! A reward check for 5 times the cost of the overnight postage package is on its way to you!!

From now on, every time I put that lanyard on, I'll remember that I'm wearing it because there really are some caring, wonderful, and just plain Good People out there.

Thanks Again to Fish Point Lodge!!!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Great story with a great ending....kudo's to all involved. I've heard good things about the lodge and the people who run it.........:)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
like said before amazing story
after seeing the post about the stolen decoys and that whole saga just when you think you cant trust anyone you see a happy ending to something like this and you realize that true waterfowlers are gentelman and there are still some good people out there:):):)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I echo Mike's sentiment...I've heard nothing but good things about FPL! It's nice to see good people are out there!:coolgleam

·
Registered
583 Posts
Doug and Chris are great people! A few years back me and a buddy headed that way to frelance on our own for our first outing over there and stopped by the lodge to check it out. We had no lodging accomidations set up and after a an hour of conversation Doug offered a cabin for the two of us for $40 for the night also some good advice as to where to hunt the next day. I would recomend them to anyone.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Outstanding story! And I have to say I'm surprised they found it, but I'm not surprised that they went out of their way to do it for you. We've hashed it over on this site many times over the last several years, and I don't want to sound like too much of an advertisement for FPL because some folks here aren't particularly fond of them, but I've stayed there several times over the years, and have never been disappointed. Honestly we've never shot all that many ducks from their blinds, but the times we've been there they've always gone out of their way to make us feel comfortable, and to help us out where possible. Now mind you, we're not some of the high-rollers who use the lodge, just regular hunters. But I've never felt neglected when I was there, and I'd recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
great story. this is not the first one like this about this crew at FPL.

ok now the important stuff..did you kill any ducks???..andy

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am an everyday average hunter that has the equipment and the means to kill birds on my own. But for a traditional duck hunt and all around good experience I would highly recommend the
folks at FPL. Great story and it doesn't surprise me one bit that they went out of there way to find the lost goods
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
478 Posts
Never would have thought to e-mail a business such as theirs for such a reason. Their actions speak loudly for them.

I will certainly remember this story, as well as share it.

Thanks for posting

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I attended the Delta Waterfowl show in Sebewing this past summer. I met Doug and Kris as they had a booth set up. I talked to them for a bit and they seemed like nice folks. I told him I brought my mud boat up with me to get a taste of really needing it. He said I could put in at his place, just leave $5.00 in the box as it asks. So after he gave me intrsutions how to get there I did that. We explored the area and had a lot of fun. Doug pointed me the right way, but was not very specific, which is cool. I am like Fowlattitude, I have the equipment to hunt and the means to do it on my own, but I would not hesitate to stay with them. I might prefer to hunt from my own blind and boat but I would not hesitate to stay with them and listen to his advice.

·
Registered
11,702 Posts
seen the title and thought we had some japanese massage parlor's spamming the site with XXx ads again.

:) grats on getting your lanyard back. if i lost mine i would have to call insurance company...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Doug and Christine are great people. I'm not surprised in the least that they went out of their way to go find your lanyard.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
...I am like Fowlattitude, I have the equipment to hunt and the means to do it on my own, but I would not hesitate to stay with them. I might prefer to hunt from my own blind and boat but I would not hesitate to stay with them and listen to his advice.
Pretty much the same as us. I can say I've never paid for their guided hunts, just for their blind with their taxi ride out in the AM. And of course a bed and food, which is outstanding. The taxi ride came in handy on one particularly foggy morning when they literally needed a GPS to find the blind :yikes: If we hadn't had that, we'd still be wandering the bay at FP :lol:

One of the best things about staying at the lodge is coming in after a cold, wet, nasty day on the bay, changing clothes and catching a hot shower, then having an adult beverage or four :evilsmile around the roaring fireplace at the lodge, while sharing stories of the hunt with the other folks there. Pretty cool indeed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts