Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a boy, my dad and grandfather would often run down to the Detroit River late in the day and handline into the night. This seemed to be a fairly productive way to catch walleye at just about anytime of the year. I did a quick search on this forum, but posts related to handling appear to be quite old. Does anyone still handline? If so, would you say that it is more or less productive or about the same as it was back in the 80's?

· Premium Member
7,580 Posts
When I was a boy, my dad and grandfather would often run down to the Detroit River late in the day and handline into the night. This seemed to be a fairly productive way to catch walleye at just about anytime of the year. I did a quick search on this forum, but posts related to handling appear to be quite old. Does anyone still handline? If so, would you say that it is more or less productive or about the same as it was back in the 80's?
Right now you can use any tactic you want there is so many eyes in the system , take your pic. No matter what this spring will be productive, casting , jigging , trolling or hand lining. Fishing 100 times better now then 80s

· Registered
9,129 Posts
Right now you can use any tactic you want there is so many eyes in the system , take your pic. No matter what this spring will be productive, casting , jigging , trolling or hand lining. Fishing 100 times better now then 80s
Had one grab on taking a leak last year...some guys gotta be careful...gettin dangerous out there.

· Registered
4,152 Posts
Yep, yep and yep....I think that handlining is much more productive than jigging or harness fishing except in the spring and very cold water....a buddy of mine grew up handlining & still does, but has switched to rod & reel too, lol....his older buddy has more years on the river than anyone I know & has never owned a fishing pole !!!!!....sorry, but there's something wrong with that to me, lol....

But DANG if he don't know some area's for fish !!....

Check out Big John ? he's got a u-tube channel and does some handling on the river....me, I want a pole dance, forget a wire snagged Walleye :p....cheers....

· Registered
16,520 Posts
The only reason handlining is popular is because the Detroit River is largely too rocky on the bottom to just troll lures. Handlining allows people to pull lures close to the bottom, without getting hung up, and breaking off, as much. It is very popular in the Trenton Channel, since that is one jig-eating, lure scarfing SOB. lol

· Registered
240 Posts
Some days I will jig downstream and handline back up. This year will 57th year of handlining, have handlined Detroit, St Clair, St Mary's River, Lake Erie, And Lake of the Woods, caught walleye, musky, bass(of all kinds), white bass, sheephead, perch, and lake trout. I think it is a little tougher with clearer water, so have gone to longer leads and using fluorocarbon line, more natural color lures. The picture is the reel I bought when I was 12, I made the money shoveling snow and cutting lawns. The reel cost about $20 in 1966.

Bob
Idiophone Musical instrument Cookware and bakeware Wood Gas

1 - 20 of 52 Posts