Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the week off, Started Friday with gusty winds boat control was key and temps around 46 we managed a 4 man limit of nice eaters..Took a while we had many short fish and a bunch that got off seem to be a lite bite..I stayed home Saturday and the kids went solo and to a 2 man in short order..Sunday we fish again temp up to 49 and BAM game on Finished a 4 man ticket in 1.5 hrs and most fish were bigger then the past 2 to 4 lbs on average.. Lastnight we figured we go since we have some wet weather coming in and same results alot of really nice fish were boxed and a 4 man ticket punch in 2 hrs...Most fish were caught on pinks and purple chartreuse custom Tippit Lures,water was about 50 in T.C.The fish seem to be getting more active with the water temps raising and were most defiantly hitting hard and 11 and 13' raps the later into the night it got..Good Luck Fella's hope this helps..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Willie, we were fortunate to get on and get off with our 12 pretty quick Saturday. I don't think I've used anything bigger than an F-9 this year and colors don't matter right now. We have had quite a few come unbuttoned on the way up or after a headshake or two as well. Pretty amazing that water temps are just now getting close to 50. Cold nights are keeping the water temps down for sure. As always there were a few "Underlit Boats" out there. One nearly got run over by a south bound boat just below the stacks. We figured he was within 10 feet or so. Were you guys close to that? Never ceases to amaze how people feel its ok to put themselves or someone else in danger like that. Definitely moronic.
Yes that was us coming down to fish I was 100 ft from him and gave him a ear full I did see him tho even at the speed i was going it would have crushed him...Glad you got into them I'll be out again tonight....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weather has not cooperated this year for me to go out. That being said I fished for the first time Monday morning in the lower TC. I started at 6:45 and by 7:45 I was doing catch and release with all nice eaters.
Black/silver #7 worked early then I switched to orange fluorescent #7 and it was game on.
Thanks for your handlining reports , it’s my favorite way to catch these fish
Weather has not cooperated this year for me to go out. That being said I fished for the first time Monday morning in the lower TC. I started at 6:45 and by 7:45 I was doing catch and release with all nice eaters.
Black/silver #7 worked early then I switched to orange fluorescent #7 and it was game on.
Its mine too,This time of year we take a week off from work to fish Nice Job on the fish...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fished Last night again, took a new to handling guy out And I think I hooked an other one....;) We started late and there was a cluster at the launch..We pIcked away at the fish for 4 hrs throwing back many shorts Good To see so many ...Started with a few customs in dark purple that I've painted and then Bam Vampire hit the stage and it was pretty much non stop action till we finished a 4 man Limit in 4 hrs Bigger fish coming later at night ...Seem to be a slower speed 1.2 1.6 maybe because of the rain I'm not sure same spot as monday night tho and the temps seemed to be cooler than Monday 47 it was 49 Monday Good Luck Hope this helps Be Safe...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How are you handling that handlining stuff? I used to go with a buddy, and bleeding hot olive was almost always the hottest lure.
[/QUO
Rapala’a durning the day in cold water, over 50 spoons at a faster speed July and August homemade spinners or wobblers tipped with a worm night time after the water hits 50 and clean then sept oct nov night time dec rapalas in the daylight slow
Pretty routine every year the spoon bite is fun. It’s quick and fast here’s a couple I’ve painted View attachment 830498
How you been brent

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Fished this morning 6-7:30. Same spot as last Monday morning. 5 good eaters and 1 throw back. Vampire 5, clown 9 and fluorescent orange 7. Broke bills on 2 lures and I broke the line on another snag. Looks like I will be going to the bait shop soon.
I will be at the same spot tomorrow morning at 6:30
I can fix lips if you need help with that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Living the dream... fishing working fishing when the winds aren’t howling out of the north east or east. now it’s crunch time getting the big boat ready
Oh Nice Jan 1st be my lastday of work I cant wait so ill be fishing fishing fishing LOL
I have 15 broken raps in my garage
I can fix them for you 3 apeice or can sell you lips for a dollar apeice I will most likely be in Trenton Friday and Saturday night..what sizes do you have i am running low on 9 and 11s

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i would like you to fix them. I have 4-#11’s, 4-#9’s and 5-#7’s.
I’m out of town until Saturday evening(Grosse Ile) my name is Tim and my cell is (734) 368-2855
I’m trying to attach a picture but I’m not too good at it.
Thanks
I found a custom floating yesterday when I came in.
View attachment 831429
That looks like a latham custom he puts his name on the bottom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Willie I tell you what that one that looks somewhat like a pimp Daddy minnow it almost left the store. I kept looking at it thinking man I bet pulling wire with that on my bottom lead :p. Your work is Very Nice. Skinner2 was the actual first person I ever seen airbrush them and I was amazed at the detail. Just one more to the 188 extra talents that guy has. I remember back when I was a young man buying a stick of dowel Rod and making our own pencil plugs and using whatever model paint we had. I hope your business keeps growing for you and your son. I even commented to the store owner about how well done they were.
Roger
Thanks Skinner does a nice job as well,Back in the day we did what ever it took ,It fun and now im retiring in december ill have even more time to do this craft...I have a bunch of wood plugs that i got froma lady hows hubby died he was developing them there different than anything ive seen im going to work on a few and try them and see how they pull...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
What a Difference a week makes water temps close to 60,Took us a while to get a 4 man with them other fish hammer in down on some out tippit customs we stayed the course and got it done, Purple is still the color for the year..a new to us pattern we put in to play lastnight worked real well as well as charlie brown ..think will give it a shot tonight as well more than likely our last handline trip...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
We picked a 2 man limit EARLY this morning. Clown rap, blue and chrome and purple pencils did the trick! Took longer than we thought especially the last 2 fish!
Good job ,we didn't get out last night everyone was tired LOLThis time of year i like to run the plugs It keeps some of the other fish off and walleye seem to smash them hard...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts