Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the week off, Started Friday with gusty winds boat control was key and temps around 46 we managed a 4 man limit of nice eaters..Took a while we had many short fish and a bunch that got off seem to be a lite bite..I stayed home Saturday and the kids went solo and to a 2 man in short order..Sunday we fish again temp up to 49 and BAM game on Finished a 4 man ticket in 1.5 hrs and most fish were bigger then the past 2 to 4 lbs on average.. Lastnight we figured we go since we have some wet weather coming in and same results alot of really nice fish were boxed and a 4 man ticket punch in 2 hrs...Most fish were caught on pinks and purple chartreuse custom Tippit Lures,water was about 50 in T.C.The fish seem to be getting more active with the water temps raising and were most defiantly hitting hard and 11 and 13' raps the later into the night it got..Good Luck Fella's hope this helps..

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hey Willie, we were fortunate to get on and get off with our 12 pretty quick Saturday. I don't think I've used anything bigger than an F-9 this year and colors don't matter right now. We have had quite a few come unbuttoned on the way up or after a headshake or two as well. Pretty amazing that water temps are just now getting close to 50. Cold nights are keeping the water temps down for sure. As always there were a few "Underlit Boats" out there. One nearly got run over by a south bound boat just below the stacks. We figured he was within 10 feet or so. Were you guys close to that? Never ceases to amaze how people feel its ok to put themselves or someone else in danger like that. Definitely moronic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Willie, we were fortunate to get on and get off with our 12 pretty quick Saturday. I don't think I've used anything bigger than an F-9 this year and colors don't matter right now. We have had quite a few come unbuttoned on the way up or after a headshake or two as well. Pretty amazing that water temps are just now getting close to 50. Cold nights are keeping the water temps down for sure. As always there were a few "Underlit Boats" out there. One nearly got run over by a south bound boat just below the stacks. We figured he was within 10 feet or so. Were you guys close to that? Never ceases to amaze how people feel its ok to put themselves or someone else in danger like that. Definitely moronic.
Yes that was us coming down to fish I was 100 ft from him and gave him a ear full I did see him tho even at the speed i was going it would have crushed him...Glad you got into them I'll be out again tonight....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Weather has not cooperated this year for me to go out. That being said I fished for the first time Monday morning in the lower TC. I started at 6:45 and by 7:45 I was doing catch and release with all nice eaters.
Black/silver #7 worked early then I switched to orange fluorescent #7 and it was game on.
Thanks for your handlining reports , it’s my favorite way to catch these fish

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weather has not cooperated this year for me to go out. That being said I fished for the first time Monday morning in the lower TC. I started at 6:45 and by 7:45 I was doing catch and release with all nice eaters.
Black/silver #7 worked early then I switched to orange fluorescent #7 and it was game on.
Its mine too,This time of year we take a week off from work to fish Nice Job on the fish...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fished Last night again, took a new to handling guy out And I think I hooked an other one....;) We started late and there was a cluster at the launch..We pIcked away at the fish for 4 hrs throwing back many shorts Good To see so many ...Started with a few customs in dark purple that I've painted and then Bam Vampire hit the stage and it was pretty much non stop action till we finished a 4 man Limit in 4 hrs Bigger fish coming later at night ...Seem to be a slower speed 1.2 1.6 maybe because of the rain I'm not sure same spot as monday night tho and the temps seemed to be cooler than Monday 47 it was 49 Monday Good Luck Hope this helps Be Safe...

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Fished Last night again, took a new to handling guy out And I think I hooked an other one....;) We started late and there was a cluster at the launch..We pIcked away at the fish for 4 hrs throwing back many shorts Good To see so many ...Started with a few customs in dark purple that I've painted and then Bam Vampire hit the stage and it was pretty much non stop action till we finished a 4 man Limit in 4 hrs Bigger fish coming later at night ...Seem to be a slower speed 1.2 1.6 maybe because of the rain I'm not sure same spot as monday night tho and the temps seemed to be cooler than Monday 47 it was 49 Monday Good Luck Hope this helps Be Safe...
loved that Vampire when I used to handline!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure what color bleeding hot olive is. Up until June it will be all Rapalas, 5,7,9 and 11’s. Black/silver, black/brown, orange and green fluorescent and blue. Haven’t had much success on the other newer colors. Maybe it’s because I don’t run them!!
June I switch to F-5 flatfish and crawler harnesses.
I would really like to do some nighttime fishing with pencil plugs this year. We used to do that 45 years ago and I need to try that again. Just waiting on the right condition’s I guess.
I talk to some old timers on the water and they are using spoons. Never tried that. Don’t know what it’s about.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Rapala’a durning the day in cold water, over 50 spoons at a faster speed July and August homemade spinners or wobblers tipped with a worm night time after the water hits 50 and clean then sept oct nov night time dec rapalas in the daylight slow
Pretty routine every year the spoon bite is fun. It’s quick and fast here’s a couple I’ve painted
Surface lure Vertebrate Fish hook Green Fishing lure

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How are you handling that handlining stuff? I used to go with a buddy, and bleeding hot olive was almost always the hottest lure.
[/QUO
Rapala’a durning the day in cold water, over 50 spoons at a faster speed July and August homemade spinners or wobblers tipped with a worm night time after the water hits 50 and clean then sept oct nov night time dec rapalas in the daylight slow
Pretty routine every year the spoon bite is fun. It’s quick and fast here’s a couple I’ve painted View attachment 830498
How you been brent

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fished this morning 6-7:30. Same spot as last Monday morning. 5 good eaters and 1 throw back. Vampire 5, clown 9 and fluorescent orange 7. Broke bills on 2 lures and I broke the line on another snag. Looks like I will be going to the bait shop soon.
I will be at the same spot tomorrow morning at 6:30

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Fished this morning 6-7:30. Same spot as last Monday morning. 5 good eaters and 1 throw back. Vampire 5, clown 9 and fluorescent orange 7. Broke bills on 2 lures and I broke the line on another snag. Looks like I will be going to the bait shop soon.
I will be at the same spot tomorrow morning at 6:30
I remember when Rapala would replace baits with broken bills. Anyone remember those days?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts