Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone uses handling for fish other than Walleye? I've wondered about situations where rather than messing with downriggers a person could handline. thanks,

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
A friend of mine has done real well on Lake Leelanau for Lake Trout pulling spoons with a handline. He outfished the locals using down riggers.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
A friend of mine has done real well on Lake Leelanau for Lake Trout pulling spoons with a handline. He outfished the locals using down riggers.
That would make sense, the greasers usually swim bottom.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Back in the late 70's, A&S Stamping manufacturer of A&S TROLLING REEL"S under the ownership of the Taylor brothers was commissioned to manufacture a limited quantity of 400 Ft reels that were sent up to Alaska for purposes of handlining Silver Salmon staging at the river mouths and inlets along the Coast during the fall spawning run as they proceeded up those streams to spawn. The concept & idea potentially had promising merit as hundreds of thousands of these fish congregated in these areas. Consequently things went south quickly as King Salmon also intermingling joined in as marauders of the spawn feeding on eggs. Take a moment & think about hooking into a wild king weighing 45 to 65 lbs. who is determined to prove you're NOT going to take him hostage. One or two of these battles at the end of your finger, as he is stripping line at warp speed will humble you quickly. If not, your certain to be digging into your First Aid Kit for medical assistance. It was NOT PRETTY. Gloves didn't help much some even went to Stainless Steel Linked Mesh Gloves. They helped but didn't resolve the punishment your hands and arms encountered. Several consecutive days of punishment and these heavyweight marauders would put you down on the mat waiting for the count of 10. Anything that is considered a predator species can be caught on a hand line. Just use caution & be careful what you ask for!:yikes:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Growing up in NYS , I thought the only fish that people fished for with handline was Lake Trout. Also caught a 44" Musky in Wyandotte last year.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Growing up in NYS , I thought the only fish that people fished for with handline was Lake Trout. Also caught a 44" Musky in Wyandotte last year.
Yes indeed...I've sold quite a few victrola boxes to a guy in the finger lakes region of upstate New York.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
I immediately thought of the wire line ripping through your fingers with a (pick one): decent musky, sturgeon (on a harness maybe), salmon, etc. Then it occured to me that a steelhead, whipping a 1 to 2 1/2 lb hunk of lead through the air could do a lot of damage. No thanks, I think I'll stick with my downriggers ...

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
I immediately thought of the wire line ripping through your fingers with a (pick one): decent musky, sturgeon (on a harness maybe), salmon, etc.
Happens all the time. One of the reasons some of us use finger tabs or wear a glove. I have caught plenty of muskie and so have others. I have not caught a sturgeon but did get a nice sized king salmon one Sunday. Was a fight but not a problem.

Then it occured to me that a steelhead, whipping a 1 to 2 1/2 lb hunk of lead through the air could do a lot of damage. No thanks, I think I'll stick with my downriggers ...
I doubt that a steelhead could toss the sinker back at you unless it was under a foot of two away from the sinker like it would be on the kicker. On a long leader like a 15 foot or longer leader it will not be a problem. Might be something if the steelhead was on a short kicker like a 2 or 3 footer but even then I doubt that would pose much of a problem.

Plus, if we go around worrying about a steelhead throwing a sinker it would not be long before we worry about a large Walleye doing the same sort of thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts