Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used A&S reel that also came with used weights and shanks.

I have a collection of Original Floating Rapalas in F7, F9 and a few F11s and wanted to add to my collection after seeing some that were custom painted.

I have about ten F7s and eight F9s that could be painted, I was thinking of having Jim at Downriver Tackle do some custom paint work.

Can you suggest any favorite patterns? (Custom or factory versions)

If you would rather PM me your “secrete” pattern that would be great too!

Just a beginner looking for some basic advice.

·
Registered
15,385 Posts
I used to handline with a buddy sometimes, and Bleeding Hot Olive (stock color) was by far our best color for Walleyes while handlining. By FAR. Floating rap, F5 size usually. Neither of us had any custom raps, but we always caught fish.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Can't go wrong with a wonder bread!
Here are a couple that treat me well, black squiggly line and we call the other lolliepop.
I agree there are enough good standard colors that customes are necessarily needed......... but I have over 100 of them :) they kinda turn you into a horder LOL
Favorite standards: Blue Holograph, Vampire, Black n silver, firetiger, Bleading Olive, Orange n Gold.
May want to check out or talk to John Lathem aka Lurewhore he's been painting customs for ever, has a FB page.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Personally have been handlining with my "brother from another mother" for the past 10 years. We use mostly Rap F13s and pencil plugs. Colors in the raps: Vampire, Hot Steel, Purple Decent, and Fire Tiger. Custom paint on the pencil plugs (various colors, but purple and chrome seems to do the trick). Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Personally have been handlining with my "brother from another mother" for the past 10 years. We use mostly Rap F13s and pencil plugs. Colors in the raps: Vampire, Hot Steel, Purple Decent, and Fire Tiger. Custom paint on the pencil plugs (various colors, but purple and chrome seems to do the trick). Good luck!
My favorit
My favorite was a perch pencil plug I painted myself

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I just bought a used A&S reel that also came with used weights and shanks.

I have a collection of Original Floating Rapalas in F7, F9 and a few F11s and wanted to add to my collection after seeing some that were custom painted.

I have about ten F7s and eight F9s that could be painted, I was thinking of having Jim at Downriver Tackle do some custom paint work.

Can you suggest any favorite patterns? (Custom or factory versions)

If you would rather PM me your “secrete” pattern that would be great too!

Just a beginner looking for some basic advice.
Jim's Copper Crazy Tiger

·
Registered
882 Posts
Handlining my all time favorite way to fish walleye,after you have acquired every color imaginable,then the fun begins;learning what colors produce the best in certain water and moon conditions,of all the fish walleye seem to be the most color conscious.Good luck to ya,with vertical jigging and trolling with harnesses,spoons,and plugs,wire lining almost a lost art.Kalash,Kendal and Smith taught me a great deal over the years,leading to a collection of over 1,000 pencil plugs,lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.