Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a source of pictures for handline reels to see the different makes and models? I have a nice A&S, but my other is quite an enigma. Looks like a Shaller(I think), except the spool is wooden, and the top and bottom plate that contain the spring are wood, too. I know some of you guys are collectors, so maybe you could post up some pics with brand names.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
They have one just like it on display at M & M sporting goods in Chesterfield on 23 mi.
I.m sure they could answer your question.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Take it to Bill Bell. He will know what and when it was done. he is good and has knowledge of the reels that I was so surprised there was anybody around with that much love for handline stuff:yikes:

. Riverrat(gary) has a good knowledge as well from what i learned just a few mins with him. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Oh, Hotwired..... :)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
kbkrause said:
Oh, Hotwired..... :)
:yeahthat: him to from what Bill says...I guess hotwire and mr. bell are bud's as well..those guys have more knowlegde and I would love to write a book from what I learn from them...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
brdhntr said:
Anyone have a source of pictures for handline reels to see the different makes and models? I have a nice A&S, but my other is quite an enigma. Looks like a Shaller(I think), except the spool is wooden, and the top and bottom plate that contain the spring are wood, too. I know some of you guys are collectors, so maybe you could post up some pics with brand names.
Sounds like you have an early Schaller.
Can you see any ink stamping on the metal wrapping part of the spring cover?
Post or send me a pic and I'll let you know for sure.
I would post pics of the different kinds but there are at least 30-40 different reels that were made out there.
Does it look similar to these?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hotwired said:
Sure do, also have a pair in near mint condition.
Along with 97 others. :D
So explain, how do those mount to the boat or do you have to hold them in your hands? I have seen the ones in music boxes, but not like those yet.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
motcityman said:
So explain, how do those mount to the boat or do you have to hold them in your hands? I have seen the ones in music boxes, but not like those yet.
They clamp on just like the one in my avatar, you can't see the clamps in the pics they are hidden on the opposite side of the spring cover.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hotwired said:
They clamp on just like the one in my avatar, you can't see the clamps in the pics they are hidden on the opposite side of the spring cover.
if it catches fish. then thats all good

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Hotwired said:
Model might be different but the clamp could be similar to this one shown.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alex,
That is identical to mine. Springer4ever even caught a few fish on it yesterday! :D My main reason for posting this is I occaisionally see different kinds and many don't have any kind of ID on them that I can find. I haven't seen any stamping on mine, but I never really looked closely. Will look and take some picks tonight.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts