Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92" polaris indy lite that I use for ice fishing..I pulled it out of the barn last week, and found that the handlebars are froze up...I got it to turn about 2" to the right and left. but thats it ,any suggestions?..Thanks...Tom

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Sounds like either the spindles, the tie-rods (inners and/or outers) or the steering shaft or all the above are seized up. In any case get yourself a can on "PB Blaster" or other quality penatrent and soak all that stuff down.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i second the PB blaster, thats good ****.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I have been spraying it for about 3 days now, with penetrating oil and it dose'nt seem to be helping....Probably have to replace some parts I'm sure....Thanks...Tom

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Try talking to a dealer..best to go to the dealership....kick some tires...look for a way to see the mechanic on the Q.T......and get an answere from him.....Whatchya think???;)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Tom22 said:
I have a 92" polaris indy lite that I use for ice fishing..I pulled it out of the barn last week, and found that the handlebars are froze up...I got it to turn about 2" to the right and left. but thats it ,any suggestions?..Thanks...Tom
When you "pulled it out" did you drag it or was it on a trailer? Look to see if something is wedged somewhere. If it moves 2" left and right oil wont do any good. Sounds like some sort of mechanical bind and not a seized part. (could be wrong) Had a buddy "pull" his sled out of his shed one year and couldnt turn the handle bars. Turned out to be a piece of firewood wedged between the ski and suspension bar. :confused: **** happens. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Tom22 said:
Handle bars won't turn

just lean into the turns. lol

seriously, it sounds like something may be jammed in the steering. have you checked it out real good under the hood and around the skis?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked it out really good, there is not any object that is wedged or causing the binding...Thanks....Tom

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have you thought of pulling the tie rods off of where they connect to the ski's to see if the binding is in the skis or in the steering column?

Busterboy

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Busterboy said:
Have you thought of pulling the tie rods off of where they connect to the ski's to see if the binding is in the skis or in the steering column?

Busterboy
:yeahthat: Great and easiest place to start. It will give you an idea if the binding is in the steering or one/both of the spindles.

On the steering, you should/might have tie-rods on the bottom of the steering arm. They're sometimes dam near impossible to see. I've seen lots of those seize up because of were they're at it hard to get to, to lube and is a great place for water/snow to get into and cause rust/seizing. ;)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions,, The penetrating oil worked, it loosened the steering up, turns nice now...Thanks again....Tom

·
Registered
100 Posts
you should really find out which heim joint locked up..because it will do it again and at the worst possible time..and then replace it or them

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sometimes something as small as a little nut or bolt can wedge itself between the steering linkage and the exhaust pipes. Try tipping the sled on it's side back and forth. I had an Arctic Cat ZRT that this happened to. Ended up trying to "force the issue" and bent some linkage in the process.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts