Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard if this event is going on this year? I have received fliers in the mail in the past but nothing this year. Thanks all - Steve.

·
Registered
210 Posts
lakeside fishing report mentions something about it

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It is August 13th, Wednesday. 9am. I have worked this event for 3 years and will be there again this year to volunteer, very worthy cause in my opinion. They are looking for more captains to take kids out. Anyone with questions can call Kelvin or Nick at Island Harbor marina at 586-778-5670. Perhaps one of the moderators can make this a sticky until Aug. 13th. Thanks, Al :chillin:

·
Registered
353 Posts
This will be my 3rd year taking these really special kids out. Can anyone give me some suggestions where to go to pick up some perch within a reasonable distance from Island Harbor Marina. I have a 19 foot Lund and I don't want to have to go too far especially if it is rough.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not a bad turn out this year and the weather held out until the event was done. I am 29 years old and I have been doing that for as long as I can remember, I only missed it three times. I usually help my dad out, back in the day we ran The Clinton ( the old Queen ) and now we run The Believer ( 31 ft Bertram). My uncle runs his Lurhs and has been doing that for as long as us. Had a girl who never caught a fish before and she got about a 8 inch perch, she was tickled pink. It is always a great day for that.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Not a bad turn out this year and the weather held out until the event was done. I am 29 years old and I have been doing that for as long as I can remember, I only missed it three times. I usually help my dad out, back in the day we ran The Clinton ( the old Queen ) and now we run The Believer ( 31 ft Bertram). My uncle runs his Lurhs and has been doing that for as long as us. Had a girl who never caught a fish before and she got about a 8 inch perch, she was tickled pink. It is always a great day for that.
I was the guy helping load and unload kids onto the boats when you docked, I was the one admiring your rig. Nice job on taking the kids out fishing!! Hats off to you bud!!!! Al

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must have seen both of you guys, I recall the Believer for sure. We caught a few small perch, kids were happy but each one got a turn at the wheel on the way back in , that seemed to put a big smile on their faces. I spoke with one of the organizers and they said the threat of rain probably kept about 100-150 more kids away. Still had about 250.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I must have seen both of you guys, I recall the Believer for sure. We caught a few small perch, kids were happy but each one got a turn at the wheel on the way back in , that seemed to put a big smile on their faces. I spoke with one of the organizers and they said the threat of rain probably kept about 100-150 more kids away. Still had about 250.
Are you Terry? Me and my buddy helped tie your boat off and spoke with you after the event, my buddy Mike was the big fireman. Al :chillin:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I voluntered my boat for the Fishing Derby and we took out 2 mentally chalenged men, Steve and Keith, who were in their mid-fortys. Steve had a little bit of experience shorefishing on the Detroit River and Keith had never been in a boat before. My wife,Rosemarie, came along to help out and everyone had a ball. My wife has no interest in my boat or fishing but she did go along last year and had such a good time that she wanted to go again.

Our guests caught a few perch and then Keith tied into a nice small mouth. In spite of all the noise and confusion, we were able to net the fish and get it in the boat. I was going to suggest that the bass be released but Keith beat me to the punch and, without me saying a thing, he said to release the fish. I tried to explain how catch and release helps the fish population and both of them seemed to understand the concept. After the shouting died down Keith sat down in a chair and said "Thank you Jesus for my big fish. I am not going to press my luck and not fish any more today."

Its interesting to observe that in spite of their severe handycaps, Keith and Steve understood at least some of the concepts of good sportsmanship which is more than you can say for some people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts