Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my understanding the handgun safety inspection process is no longer required. So, it appears we are no longer required to have the handgun safety inspection card on our person when we are in possession of a handgun. Can any of the C.O.'s on here confirm that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This will actually be my first post. Nice to meet everyone.

I had not heard of this bill so I went looking. From what I have found the effective date is September 21 2008 at 12:01 am.

Sorry I can't post the link to the bill, don't have the privilages yet. It is House Bill 4491

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
i got this from the m.s.p web site you never had to have the card with you before or now

3. Is an individual required to carry a copy of their Safety Inspection Certificate with them at all times?

Michigan law does not require a person to have a copy of their certificate with their pistol after it has been registered; nor does the law require that a person keep a copy.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
i got this from the m.s.p web site you never had to have the card with you before or now

3. Is an individual required to carry a copy of their Safety Inspection Certificate with them at all times?

Michigan law does not require a person to have a copy of their certificate with their pistol after it has been registered; nor does the law require that a person keep a copy.
Exactly correct.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
That's what I like to see. A question asked, and the members answered it. No arguing, name calling, DNR bashing, etc.... Quit spoiling me!:)

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Effective date of the bill is Sept. 2008. In the bill itself, it states it will go into effect Jan. 8, 2009.

At that time you will be "required" to carry a copy of the sale ( RI-60 or permit to purchase) for 30 days.

This will actually be my first post. Nice to meet everyone.

I had not heard of this bill so I went looking. From what I have found the effective date is September 21 2008 at 12:01 am.

Sorry I can't post the link to the bill, don't have the privilages yet. It is House Bill 4491

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I think there is a major change coming on the registering of handguns also. i don't personally handle the inspections at work but my understanding is that once u buy purchase permit u don't need to bring it to the sheriff's dept for inspection. u can send in the information directly to Lansing.

again, I DON'T know the full understanding of this or WHEN this takes effect but if someone can find it please post it.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
You are correct.........After Jan.8, 2009 you will no longer be required to return with the firearm. Your only responsibility is to return the paperwork and carry a copy of the sale for 30 days after the sale. And the paperwork may be returned by mail if you wish. It's all in the law.

I think there is a major change coming on the registering of handguns also. i don't personally handle the inspections at work but my understanding is that once u buy purchase permit u don't need to bring it to the sheriff's dept for inspection. u can send in the information directly to Lansing.

again, I DON'T know the full understanding of this or WHEN this takes effect but if someone can find it please post it.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
ok i was wrong i made that post up with a bunch of lies and the d.n.r wouldn't know what a green card was if it bit them in the [email protected]#
What in the world is this post about. It was stated that your post was "Exactly correct".

Looks like a perfect example on how things get screwed up sometimes.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Too bad there is no agreement on getting rid of REGISTRATION. Hitler loved it.

What has ever been accomplished with it (in MI)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts