Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'll admit - handguns is an area i know little about.

i'd like to get a ccw at some point. all i have right now are revolvers that are more suited to hunting than concealing.

my "guns & ammo" and "shooting times" articles never seem to have too much bad to say about ANY guns.. :dizzy:

i've shot my FIL's 40 s&w. i've also shot a few 9's and 45's. i think i like the 40 as a nice compromise. ammo seems cheap enough, with decent enough accuracy and stopping power.

i'm not going to be carrying right away, and even then, it won't be all the time. looking for something that's fun to shoot, as well as somewhat more concealable than the 6" barreled 357's that i have. kind of "all-purpose" if you will. i don't mind guns on the heavy side as far as shooting goes, though i understand that weight is not an advantage when carrying.

while at gander the other day, i looked at a smith & wesson M&P, chambered in the 40. they were asking $479. heck, it felt good in my hand - not too big, not too small, i think it was 14+1 capacity. but i've not handled a lot of guns.

anybody got recommendations? i'd prefer it to stay under $400, i've got a lot of projects going right now...:lol: is that realistic? i don't want to buy junk, and if i simply can't get a gun in that price range that will operate reliably, i'll have to wait. i'm open to all suggestions, guns, calibers, any other suggestions as well.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Guns are so subjective, that it is hard to recommend one. I have heard great things from owners of the M&P, so that would be a good choice if it fits you well. If the price is too much, you could try and find a used one. I like to buy used guns, as you can find some good deals on guns that people buy, but don't like.

How are you planning on eventually carrying? It is possible to conceal a large pistol, but larger guns require more work to conceal effectively. I had a hard time concealing my P228 in the summer and eventually just decided to go with a P239. You might try and find someone that carries the M&P and see how they do it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey RZDRMH:
Looks like I'm the first to post a reply. I used to sell guns, so I do know something about handguns. I'm sure others with more knowledge will post their responses as well. When I had a customer who wasn't sure what kind of handgun he wanted, I'd take him to the gun show or a good gun shop(I only kept a limited inventory on hand), and to the gun range if possible with my personal handguns. Try a range that rents guns so you can try firing several different types. Remember the decision is yours-do not buy a gun because a shop has many "in stock" and may be pushing them to get rid of them. There will be many good ideas put forth here by other members. Consider all of them. A .40 cal seems to be a reasonable choice to me. I am a .45 auto guy, and not a big fan of the 9mm for defense, but that is just my preference. Bottom line is-compare, shop, and comparison shoot if possible. Do NOT rush your decision. The best choice is what feels/fits right and shoots best for you. Recommending a specific handgun without knowing any details about you is difficult. Having said that, I would try not to limit yourself too much based on price-a number of excellent choices might are just above your $400 budget. You'll have this gun for a long time. I'd rather see you spend a little more and get a better product than limit yourself and second-guess yourself later.

Happy "Hunting" so to speak!

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
rzdrmh,

Very prudent advice from costanza! How a gun fits/feels in your hand is very important, as is being able to test out a few models that you are considering. If you like the S & W MP model, you might want to read an article in the June 2007 issue of Combat Handguns about their M&P Compact model. Any insight you can get into your decision may be helpful. Don't rush and enjoy.........it's a very personal decision in the end!:)

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
More than 400 dollars but if yu get a chance check the Kimber 1911's on their website they are beautiful. I want a Kimber 1911 in .45. Only drawback is they are more than 400 for ya

Ganzer

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Last week I picked up my Springfield XD sub compact. For about 3 weeks I was waivering back and forth between the M&P and the XD. I have heard great things about both and they both felt good in my hand. I finally ended up with the XD. It seemed a little thinner over all and I thought that might be more comfortable when it comes time to carry concealed.

Both had pros and cons for me and when funds allow I will have an M&P also.

I got a chance to shoot my XD last weekend and was very pleased with it so far.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
MERGANZER said:
More than 400 dollars but if yu get a chance check the Kimber 1911's on their website they are beautiful. I want a Kimber 1911 in .45. Only drawback is they are more than 400 for ya

Ganzer
I own a 1911 frame Kimber 45. The fit, finish and function are outstanding. It also fits my hand and I can actually shoot it well. I shot in a league last summer with it and that made all the difference in the world as far as getting comfortable with it and hitting the target. Mine has the 5 inch barrel so its probably not a good choice for concelled carry. I bought mine used from a local shop, but it was in like brand new condition. If you look around its amazing what is out there at the gun shops for a decent price.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
The Spingfield XD is always a solid choice. I'm not big on the blocky looks, but that is purely subjective and does nothing to limit their performance. I really, really like the S&W M&P series of autos. I will be buying one in 9mm or .40 soon. I want the fullsize version which for me is still small enough to conceal but may not work for everyone. They do offer it in a compact version though that would be ideal for carry. You'll have to hold them and shoot them if possible to make your own decision. One thing to keep in mind as you are looking at DAO combat style autos is that trigger pull can vary widely in both travel and weight. The M&P's have a nice smooth pull that is about 7# but doesn't feel it.....many are in the 9-11# range and have lots of travel. These are not easy guns to master for everybody and take some getting used to. You won't have any problems to speak of, but make sure you play with the trigger before purchase. I love the single action 1911's and have a S&W lightweight Commander size frame. Weighs in at 28oz and works well for carry as long as carrying cocked and locked doesn't bother you. It bothers some, and thats fine, only you can decide your comfort level.
Another brand to look at is the Kahr Line of guns.....very nice with good triggers and built for carry. You can get the polymer framed models for the $500 range+

One gun I would stay away from is the Taurus PT series of compact autos. I have one in .45acp. I like the way it feels, weighs in at only 21oz so it's easy to carry. For the first year, it ate everything I fed it, never once jamming...a.ctually it's only jammed once and that was with a cheap aftermarket magazine. But, the trigger pull is about 12#, very long and not smooth at all. Your trigger finger will get sore long before your hand or wrist will. Mine broke though....due entirely to a cheap small piece of plastic that was used to reset the trigger. Lifetime warranty ofcourse but I will never ever trust it again. I have 2 Taurus revolvers, a Tracker 6" 22lr and a Tracker 4" .44 Mag. Both have been excellent guns....smooth and accurate. Would not have a problem buying another, but I won't touch their autos anymore.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
sullyxlh said:
well good luck on predicting when you might need it......
on another note,you can't go wrong with any Sig Sauer,there's a reason all the big agencies carry them.
http://sigforum.com
Sig has a program where you buy used Sigs from law enforcement departments. Gander sells them I know. These are law enforcement trade ins and are refurbished as necessary by Sig. They come with a full warranty. The units I've seen are nice, they show a little wear here and there but not bad..everything seemed good and tight. These guns are carried far more than they are shot in most instances. They cost half what a new Sig costs....and a new Sig is more than 2x your initial budget. Something to consider. Sigs are great guns.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i have to auto pistols one is a s&w40ve 40 cal 14 +1 nice winter carry for me the gun is only 249.00 i carry this in the winter because i do plowing and dont like my xd getting dirty or salt on it..

all around great gun best thing i ever did 569.99 springfeild xd 45 acp 13+1 double stack great gun it comes with a holster duel mag pouch and a easy loader. factory sights suck tho i put some tru glow sights on it and a rubber grip that kept the gun from creaping around in my hand as i fired multi shot bursts..

both guns came with a matted s.s. finish i polished both of the guns up a little so dont expect to buy one that looks like them...

you can get some great deals here-- http://www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.com/ and here is a link to the sale add--
http://www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.com/fffcontent/adcontent/flyer.pdf

i hope this helps....

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the full size m&P in 40cal and I really like it. I bought the one that came with the holster package. I am taking my CCW class this weekend with it. I have fired their sub-compact ones and like them also. Their are a lot out there. I know a lot of guys that carry Glocks and snubbies. My only advice is go to a range and try them out. I thought I would like shooting the glock 36 (single stack 45) and really hated it. If your interested in the M&P line check around on price. Some people are cheaper than others. Hope this helps:D

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the advice guys, really helps..

would you guys say that a 40 is a good self-defense caliber? i understand that shot placement is key, putting shots on target. the 45 seems like more recoil and expense than i want to get into, cause i'll want to spend some time on the range.

i'm 6'4", 215 lbs. i don't think concealing will be too much problem, but i've never tried it. right now, my primary thought is being able to carry it in the glove compartment, as i am in the car quite a bit.

maybe a sub-compact 40?

if i'm hearing things correctly, i should look for a reputable brand in the price range, and then handle a number of models?

would the springfield XD and S&W MP fall into that category? potentiall the kahr as well? any other good brands in the 4-500 range that i should handle?

·
Registered
644 Posts
it might be too much of a concealed weapon for you but i have a kahr in 40 s.w. and it its fun to shoot. we have small 5 round mags for concealment and we alost have longer mags that hold 13 rounds. great gun

·
Registered
320 Posts
look into a xd in the 40 cal. they make a compact one also i think ....you need to go to a xd site http://www.xdtalk.com/ read about them and find the torture test they put these things through

check this one out -- http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=66 :fish: :fish: small but power full i shot all these before getting the 45 acp the felt recoil is not bad

ill put it this way my s&w 40ve kicks twice as hard as the xd45. its felt recoil is much better

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
If you like S&Wessons look at the Chief Special I have that chambered in .40 and it is nice and compact and will be easy for you to conceal in the summer(that's why I bought it) Kind of hard concealing a Glock 23 in the summer.Try to stay away from double staked Magazines,them guns tend to be a little thicker and harder to conceal.I also went to the .40 for price of ammo,it's fairly cheap compared to.45 Plus you still have great knockdown power.

·
Super Moderator
11,756 Posts
Howdy-

"would you guys say that a 40 is a good self-defense caliber?"

The .40 was created as an intended compromise between the .45 and it's good stopping power but perceived recoil, slower target acquisition on follow-up shots, and occasional over-penetration and the 9mm and it's sometime lacking stopping power.

The .40 has rapidly become one of the front-runners for law enforcement issuance.

Yes, it is considered a good self-defense round.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
rzdrmh said:
thanks for all the advice guys, really helps..

would you guys say that a 40 is a good self-defense caliber? i understand that shot placement is key, putting shots on target. the 45 seems like more recoil and expense than i want to get into, cause i'll want to spend some time on the range.

i'm 6'4", 215 lbs. i don't think concealing will be too much problem, but i've never tried it. right now, my primary thought is being able to carry it in the glove compartment, as i am in the car quite a bit.

maybe a sub-compact 40?

if i'm hearing things correctly, i should look for a reputable brand in the price range, and then handle a number of models?
.40 is a good choice, as is 9mm and .45

I have a Sig P 239 in .40, which is a nice concealable gun, though it will run you more than $400. You should try before you buy and handle as many as you can to get an idea as to what fits the best.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts