Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me as to why there is such a price difference between buying a handgun online & going to a local gun shop? i don't mean a few $ either. I can find guns at least $100 cheaper online than i can locally, for the same make/model. any input? Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its up to the dealer to set the pricing on the weapon. Your gonna pay FFL fees to have the gun shipped to the local shop and then pay their fee. I would just ask them if they will price match with the fee added and go from there. Good luck

·
Registered
290 Posts
Don't expect to go into your local gunshop and ask to handle their inventory, and pick the brains of the staff while you try and figure out what kind of gun you want then ask them to match some online retailer then expect to be treated nicely. You may be shown the door.

If you want to buy from an online dealer, know what you want, set up the transfer and pay the fees and move on. Don't waste your dealers time by trying to save a few bucks at their expense. Next you'll be complaining about the poor customer service you recieved when the dealer wouldn't knock off $100 to price match the online retailer.

·
Premium Member
30,996 Posts
Online dealers reach a much wider audience than most brick and mortar shops do.

·
Registered
639 Posts
1. Online retailers don't have to pay salesmen.
2. Online retailers don't have to put up with people who handle 20 guns and then don't buy anything.
3. Many times, online retailers don't even handle the gun themselves. They drop ship from the distributor.
4. Online retailers don't have to pay extra for and expensive retail location. They can be located in a much cheaper industrial park.
5. Online retailers deal in volume. Local shops have to account for the time that business is slow.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I've done both. My 2 cents

Local shops
The upside for this is you can fondle the weapon and drool and decide in person between A and B. Once it leaves the shop its a manufactures problem to fix if there is an issue. Which is normal I guess. Warranty work is just that, so it makes sense. It keeps your money local which I like.

Online:
Yeah you may save some money, but like was pointed out prior, you will pay FFL fees and shipping so the savings will be small usually. Unless you know exactly what you want its probably not the best way to go.
The upside to this is you can buy that hard find model in the finish you want and have it in hand in a few days.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Or, you can split the difference and buy though a local outfit that may or may not be brick and mortar and will order you what you want at low markup.

Then, you can always buy used and if you know what you are doing, can get great deals sometimes. But, like anything, sometimes sellers think that their used gun is worth more than a new one because it is broken in.:lol:

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I've done both. My 2 cents

Local shops
The upside for this is you can fondle the weapon and drool and decide in person between A and B. Once it leaves the shop its a manufactures problem to fix if there is an issue. Which is normal I guess. Warranty work is just that, so it makes sense. It keeps your money local which I like.

Online:
Yeah you may save some money, but like was pointed out prior, you will pay FFL fees and shipping so the savings will be small usually. Unless you know exactly what you want its probably not the best way to go.
The upside to this is you can buy that hard find model in the finish you want and have it in hand in a few days.
I try and keep it local but local typically means a high dollar screwing in Michigan
Case in point-
Beretta Nanos
Local seller in state on MGO
Beretta Nanos in stock!...
450.00 OUT THE DOOR AFTER TAX
[email protected]
Online seller out of Ohio-
We have for sale (2) NIB Beretta Nano 9mm pistols.
....Cost…… $365 Shipped FFL to FFL !!!
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/7150001882

So even with a $20 FFl fee it's still way cheaper
$10-20 difference is no big deal and I'd conduct business local
but when there's that much of a margin
the only thing I see is the local dealers trying to screw ya so screw them.

It's the same situation with local sellers screwing the consumer on cans
The mark up in this state is ridiculous on those.
Again local seller on MGO
Mission Critical Firearms
Coastal Ultima 9mm, 1/2-28, $520
He even advertises this-
Did another dealer beat my price? Show me the price I have to beat and it's DONE!
If I don't have what you are looking for in stock, I will offer a price you can't refuse to make up for your wait.

(I showed him that price from the vendor below and he balked and would not touch it and they are a dealer for them)

Another Ohio vendor exact same can-
So again kinda hard to keep business in this state
When they're constantly trying to screw ya.

And ammo prices???
We won't even go there..........

·
Premium Member
15,033 Posts
Quote:
Beretta Nanos in stock!...
450.00 OUT THE DOOR AFTER TAX
[email protected]
Quote:
We have for sale (2) NIB Beretta Nano 9mm pistols.
....Cost…… $365 Shipped FFL to FFL !!!
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/7150001882

So even with a $20 FFl fee it's still way cheaper
$10-20 difference is no big deal and I'd conduct business local
but when there's that much of a margin
the only thing I see is the local dealers trying to screw ya so screw them.

So when you contacted Genos and mention that you want to keep your business local but just cant afford the large price difference, what did he say?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I try and keep it local but local typically means a high dollar screwing in Michigan
Case in point-
Beretta Nanos
Local seller in state on MGO

OK, so an idiot in Ohio wants to lose money on a gun sale. Why would Geno's want to do the same. Distributor price of a new Nano is $350. With shipping, there is no way to make a profit at $365.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts