Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michigan law does not seem to specify handgun magazine restrictions.

"It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semi-automatic rifle that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and magazine combined, unless it is a .22 caliber rimfire..."

Am I getting this right? There is a separate law (9 rounds, I believe) for deer, but I want to know about coyote. Can I take along a 9mm with a 15+1 capacity? Laws are screwy. We know that. What say you, fellow discerners of screwy laws?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I would say no due to it being semi-auto and centerfire.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I would say no due to it being semi-auto and centerfire.
Show me where it says you can't hunt coyote with a center fire, pistol or rifle? I think the law you are thinking of only applies to deer in lower part of the state. I do believe you can hunt coyote with center fire firearms. As to the capacity the OP asks about, I am not sure on that one. You may want to ask this question in the law forum below.

·
Banned
444 Posts
I always thought deer was 5, but someone said no limit. But I have seen anything either way, not that I really scoured it.

I would get a concealed carry permit, if you don't have one, if hunting with a hand gun. Less chance the DNR can screw with you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Keys words are shotgun and rifle. Revolvers and pistols are not mentioned. And you do not need a CPL to carry one if it is in the open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts