Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions about handgun laws in michigan

1) I am 18 years old and i read on the nra-ila websight that in order to purchace a handgun in michigan you must be 18 years old if the dealer is not a federal licenced dealer, if the dealer is federally licenced you must by 21. so could i purchace a handgun from a private owner at a gun show? and if so could i hunt with it?

2) I also read in the (youth handgun protection act) that it is unlawful to let somone use a handgun if they are under 18, unless it is for target use or hunting, so could i legally hunt with my dad's handgun if he is in verbal contact with me?

·
Banned
634 Posts
Hi jeep258......Unless the law has been changed lately if you are 18 you can own a hand gun if it was originally owned by a family member like your dad but you can't purchase one from any one else until you are 21.....you can't hunt with a hand gun until you are 21 and you are of legal age to carry it and no you cant hunt with any one elses hand gun....how ever if you are 18 and under you can target shoot with your dads handgun at a range if he is there present with you ....i think i am right there could have been some law changes since i was a gun rep but i am not sure ,but i am sure that Ray will give a correct answer in case i was wrong ...thanks

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I bought one Handgun from my Step father when I was 18, and another one from a private party when I was 20(I'm 26 now). Both times I was fine as the seller did not have an FFL. Just go do the paperwork at the sherrif office.

Note that by law, someone cannot purchase a handgun with the intention of re-selling it to you, atleast thats the way I was explained back then. You and your dad couldnt legally both go to the sherrif, get purchase permits, him buy the gun from the dealer, then you buy it from him. A dealer told me, and I think based on the wording of the legal questionare thing you fill out, that you cant purchase a handgun with intenet to sell.

If you do go though and buy one from someone, you get the same saftey inspection card as everyone else, and can do anything a 21 year old can do with their gun.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
This question came up on the Michigan Gun Owners msg board just recently, like this morning, with some informative responses.

The thread is here:
New to Firearms
I beleive that you will be able to read the thread without registering at the web site.
Basically, you can buy a handgun from any private individual but not from a Federal Firearms License dealer. You will need to pull a permit from your local police department. You will be able to handgun hunt with that gun with a valid hunting license.

How you buy the ammo is up to you.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Jason Adam said:
I bought one Handgun from my Step father when I was 18, and another one from a private party when I was 20(I'm 26 now). Both times I was fine as the seller did not have an FFL. Just go do the paperwork at the sherrif office.

Note that by law, someone cannot purchase a handgun with the intention of re-selling it to you, atleast thats the way I was explained back then. You and your dad couldnt legally both go to the sherrif, get purchase permits, him buy the gun from the dealer, then you buy it from him. A dealer told me, and I think based on the wording of the legal questionare thing you fill out, that you cant purchase a handgun with intenet to sell.

If you do go though and buy one from someone, you get the same saftey inspection card as everyone else, and can do anything a 21 year old can do with their gun.
I bought my first handgun on my 18th birthday (I'm now 32). Anyway, a friend of mine bought the gun from a ffl dealer, and then "sold" it to me, on the same day. We even both went to the county building for the safety inspection, and registering. We were up front with the people at the sherriffs dept. Came as no surprise to them, as the lady behind the counter said she's seen many people do that. So unless the law has changed, I don't think having your dad buy it and then sell it to you would be a problem. Best thing to do would be to call the sherrifs dept in the county which you live and ask them how they interpret the law...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
When I turn 18 can I purchase blackpowder and sabots for my muzzleloader?

Or how about a package of 180 gr nosler bullets for reloading?

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Jr.BowmanMI said:
When I turn 18 can I purchase blackpowder and sabots for my muzzleloader?

Or how about a package of 180 gr nosler bullets for reloading?
I do not know of any age restrictions on bullets, sabots, primers, or empty cases. You should be OK on all the components you mentioned. When it comes to powder the best thing would be to check the rules. The powder is something I had not thought of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts