Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently planted 1200 seedlings (red pine, White spruce and Norway spruce). We are having very dry weather. Would any one suggest hand watering 2000 trees (total amount)? Any tips or suggestions...the river is only 1/4 mile down the road...I have buckets, garbage cans.

Brian B.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
James, it sounds like all you need is a good atv, trailer, maybe one helper and some beer and you'll be good. Hard to believe you are so dry up there. I used to live in Delta county and it seems that it was always wet. Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to water those seedlings but would warn against watering too much. Maybe 1/2 to a gallon per tree should get them through for quite some time. That is, I'm assuming you are on sand.

But before you do anything, dig down about 4 inches and see what the ground is like. It might surprise you.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
James P. Bipps said:
I recently planted 1200 seedlings (red pine, White spruce and Norway spruce). We are having very dry weather. Would any one suggest hand watering 2000 trees (total amount)? Any tips or suggestions...the river is only 1/4 mile down the road...I have buckets, garbage cans.

Brian B.
My idea is too late to help you but for anyone else planting; don't forget the water gel.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had a similar situation. What I did instead of hauling five gallon buckets of water-very time consuming-is convert a 55 gallon barrel into a watering station.

Basically I drilled a hole near the bottom of my plastic barrel, inserted a spigot, secured it on either side of the barrel, and hooked a garden hose to the spigot. Obviously this system is gravity fed so what I do is place the barrel in the back of my pick-up and then fill it. Fortunately I am able to drive to within 25' of my trees. I simply turn the faucet on and hold the hose over the area I want watered. Works very well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I did use terra sorb when I planted. I have hand watered all of them 1x...my trailer was unavailable so I filled up large garbage cans and other various containers, I used watering cans and the help of my 8 year old (she volunteered)...it went quicker than I thought it would. Of course it rained the night after we finished, but at least now I know it's doable. I think I will take bishs' advice and put sawdust/woodchips around them as well. Watering them was a whole lot easier than planting them.

Brian

·
Registered
127 Posts
ive plant a lot of trees over the years seemed to had best luck by planting in the fall. not much you can do now, watering most times dont work. need cool weather and rain. good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts