Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Hand held GPS

1239 22
Hey guys, every plunge I take that involves options and large price ranges that I have no experience with I like to do my homework to be as satisfied as possible with my purchase. Obviously the title gives it away but here is what I'm looking for and seeking advice for:

Price: Cheaper the better but I'd spend up to $250ish

Brand: Don't really care as long as it is well known and quality, probably leaning Garmin

Main Use: Get me safely from parking lot and back in case of a whiteout or something like that (no machine yet as I'm needing a new vehicle first so I'm walking and will probably fish past dark most times)

Other Uses: I would like something with a bay chip or map already built in or something that can be upgraded via downloads or other cards and things you can buy to at least see contours and depth changes so I know when I'm close and obviously be able to mark and label waypoints.

Miscellaneous: Something pocket sized (just something you don't have to mount, my coat has big pockets or I have other storage spaces) that runs on batteries or at least have the capability to use those as back up in case it has rechargeables that go dead on the water, water/weather proof (not dunking down a hole but snow or maybe a little rain proof), no combo unit like those being made in flashers and graphs because I like my Vex and don't plan on retiring it, ability to save paths/tracks

Done quite a bit of research and just haven't been fond enough of one yet to make a choice so I'm wondering if any of you have something similar but I also know most of you have machines and GPS mounted right on there and probably use phones as back up too

thanks for any help
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
I use a lowrance h20. Works great, older units. But they are reliable and have never let me down
Those h20 where great units with large easy to use screens, great for following a trail in after dark with. Sadly they haven’t made them in quite a few years and lowrances hand held options are pretty sad these days. I went with a garmin map 62, nice large screen and easy to use. Think I paid about 250 on cyber monday a few years back. Pretty sure you can pick one up for about that price now. Finding something with a chip with lake maps for under 250 will be difficult. Your best bet may be to get the gps and then download the navionics app on your phone to use as the map for contours and such.
which navonics app do you guys recommend see a lot of different ones
Those h20 where great units with large easy to use screens, great for following a trail in after dark with. Sadly they haven’t made them in quite a few years and lowrances hand held options are pretty sad these days. I went with a garmin map 62, nice large screen and easy to use. Think I paid about 250 on cyber monday a few years back. Pretty sure you can pick one up for about that price now. Finding something with a chip with lake maps for under 250 will be difficult. Your best bet may be to get the gps and then download the navionics app on your phone to use as the map for contours and such.
I got my h2o off ebay. Can still get them on their in like new condition. Have had mine for 7 years and love it. Chip wise i run the lake master chip in my h2o. And ya finding a u it and chipnfor under 250 isnt gonna be easy. But if u hunt you can find some deals
I also had the H2O with a lake master chip. I really liked it,and just recently replaced it because some Jackwagon decided he needed the **** in my truck more than I did. I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 64s and haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, I'm hoping to get acquainted with it this week. I wish I would of thought of the EBAY thing. One thing I wanted that the H2O couldn't provide was a plat book chip for where I hunt in the UP.
I got my h2o off ebay. Can still get them on their in like new condition. Have had mine for 7 years and love it. Chip wise i run the lake master chip in my h2o. And ya finding a u it and chipnfor under 250 isnt gonna be easy. But if u hunt you can find some deals
Reactions: wolf76
Back Country Navigator app used with your smart phone.

Constantly being updated. $15 one time fee. I won't use a dedicated GPS again. Still kicking myself over all the money I've spent over the years for a dedicated GPS hand held.

PS: you do not need a cell signal to use this. It works exactly like a GPS hand held.

The marine maps available are just amazing as well.
Personally I’m not comfortable being on the bay and relying solely on a smart phone. As far as which navionics app, I have the boating US one.
What's the difference?
You still use the phone as a GPS.
You can lose or drown both.

The phone will store easy more way points and maps. Plus, if you are good about backing up your phone, you won't lose all those way points and maps.

Restore new phone and all that data is back.
Phones die quickly in 0 degree weather, I can carry extra batteries for handheld, just my personally preference
I like Garmin 62 nice big screen like the h2o.
It'll take lake master chips.
Garmin. Garmin. Garmin.. On the boat. On the dog. In the woods. I have my first Garmin chartploter, it still work's..Its got to be 25 years old. Still using an old yellow etrex every time out. Now I'm looking at Garmin Striker 4, for the ice Garmin..
Reactions: Bay BornNRaised
Agree 110% I have navionics on all phones, tablets. But I carry the Garmin etrex and extra batteries on the bay. Navionics definitely has its place, but so does a extra set of duracells
Personally I’m not comfortable being on the bay and relying solely on a smart phone. As far as which navionics app, I have the boating US one.
Reactions: hawgeye
Bought a garmin 64st to replace an old etrex. Hoping to try it out this weekend. Seems to work good in the woods so far.
Is that a touch screen? I need to replace my 15yo etex legend... power switch is going out on it and I have a helluva time seeing the screen nowadays!
Bought a garmin 64st to replace an old etrex. Hoping to try it out this weekend. Seems to work good in the woods so far.
No I bought it specifically because it still uses buttons. That way you can use it with gloves on.
Is that a touch screen? I need to replace my 15yo etex legend... power switch is going out on it and I have a helluva time seeing the screen nowadays!

Attachments

I just bought the striker 4 portable for ice and my yak. Couldn't find a reason not to buy. Price compared to vex or marcum, plus basic GPS. Can't wait to get on river.
Garmin. Garmin. Garmin.. On the boat. On the dog. In the woods. I have my first Garmin chartploter, it still work's..Its got to be 25 years old. Still using an old yellow etrex every time out. Now I'm looking at Garmin Striker 4, for the ice Garmin..
Garmin Etrex and Navionics on the phone. (compass in the tackle bag for last resort)
Reactions: fishbuster
Sounds like u want a GPS for same reason I wanted one - to get out and back without all the fancy bells and whistles. My wife got me a Garmin eTrex 20. Works perfectly. And I mounted a RAM Mount to my 4 wheeler that works perfect for it.
Reactions: fishbuster
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.