Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent yesterday fishing upper Hamlin Lake with Sixshooter by Wilson Hill park. We limited on bluegills in 10 fow, jigging teardrops tipped with mice or wax just off the bottom beneath slip-bobbers. None were smaller than 7", and several were over 8".

Jim smoked me, even though I caught a lot of fish myself. The guy was on fire. For example, he caught a jumbo perch. Then he put on an extra jig and got a double, pulling in 2 slab gills at once. :eek: My fish story of the day was when my rod bent in half upon setting the hook, and the reel screamed for a moment. Then it broke. :(

We only saw a few hammerhandles caught on tipups all day; ours never did trip. The ice up there is clear and solid, about 5" thick.

Ken

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Nice report Ken, wish I was able to go with. Sounds like you had fun! Maybe next time.

Rick

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Thanks for the report Ken.

Glad to hear they have some decent ice. Just got off the phone with my parents who live on Upper Hamlin and the said a shanty & ATV went through the ice earlier in the week.

I'll be heading up myself in a couple weeks. Can't wait! :D

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I also fished hamlin the last couple of days with limit catches, this afternoon the fishing slowed down a bit compared to what it has been. The ice is good if you to the right when you go out from the park, if you go to the left you chance running into thin spots where the river current is.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Thanks for letting me tag along Ken...I had a lot of fun and all...

Except cutting my fingers cleaning the fish...haha...

Lets do it again...

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good deal. Was anyone popping flags by chance?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I was there Monday morning, everyone was still getting limits. As to flags, I saw two, both wind, no pike on the ice.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Three of my Buddies went to upper Hamlin Tuesday afternoon,
All got there limit of 7" to 9" Gills in about 3 hrs. They are heading back this morning.

·
Registered
377 Posts
thinking of goin' there this weekend,hope the fish still will cooperate. about how thick is the ice?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey guys, I was thinking of heading up to Hamlin on Saturday and have never fished there...Is the Wilson Hill park the best spot to access the upper lake for good gill fishing right now?..Also, are most the fish being caught in one area there?( would be easier to find--lots of ppl grouped together usually means fish) or is the Vexilar a necessity? Is the gill fishing still as good as it was earlier in the week? feel free to PM with any info/advice if you want...THANKS ALOT for any info...

quillback

1 - 12 of 12 Posts