Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to Ludington State Park camping this coming weekend with my wife and 3 year old daughter. This will be my first real chance to introduce my daughter to fishing (other than just bringing fish home). I'll be boatless, although I'm aware rentals are available. Completely unfamiliar with the lake...are there shore fishing opportunities from within the state park or nearby areas on the lower lake reachable by rowboat? I don't imagine taking more than a couple hours with her, but I'll be packing the ultralight and some basic gear. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated by this anxious dad!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Be sure to fish all around Lost Lake via walking trails. There are some really nice largemouth/bluegills up in there. Wears the kids out too!
Bring the wife and daughter, but pack a lunch and water.

We use a plastic type minnow lure with just a worm hook for weight and catch tons them in there on the right day.

If you rent a boat, just go straight out from the campground. Anywhere in there out to and just beyond the island is great for bass/pike.
I like to drift or slow troll thru the deeper parts with a weedless plastic crawler. Or use a bobber with half a crawler for your daughter.

Good luck and let me know how you do! That's such a spectacular place!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is that the lakes right by the State Park that is connected to Hamlin? I fished Hamlin quite a bit growing up, but we always stayed at Laman's Landing on the NE side of the lake, and never really ventured that far from there. We did quite well on bass and pike, but I'm looking at fishing Hamlin again this summer, and would appreciate any advice on the rest of the lake.

For reference, we never really went past the narrows at all.

Thanks

muskymoose

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes Muskymoose, it is the same.
You will be glad to hear there are fish just about everywhere in that lake.
I'm not too familiar with the upper end, but I've caught some smallmouth and largemouth in there. If you want perch/walleye, head to the south end of the main lake and find a flat. I've also caught some walleye trolling along the east shore below North Bayou.
If you go up by the dunes, there is a flat out from shore about 75 yards or so where you can't go wrong. Try drifting or trolling through there.
That lake can be really nasty if it's windy, but luckily there are some bays and of course Upper Hamlin. One old couple I know slowly troll with electrics dragging miniature jigs and absolutely kill the bluegill, etc. in the Upper.
Never tried it myself, usually going after walleye or bass.

Good luck, and remember...throw some back! Especially the big ones.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
always been good gill fishin in the upper lake. however last time i was there a couple years ago... they all had parasites.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
dddehaan - On the North side of Lost Lake you'll see a small, sandy dune slide. To the west of it is a small bay. I've done very good on the perch there in years past. Try using minnows below a bobber there. You'll need to follow the Lost Lake Trail on the North side of the Beechwood Campground to get there. Perch fishing can also be good fishing from the "new" boardwalk (second circle in Beechwood, across from the bath house).

Gills, bass and pike can all be caught in the coves along the Island Trail...but don't forget the bug spray!

I've seen several walleye caught off the dam (on the lake side) last year, by an angler using a piece of crawler below a bobber. Bluegills can be fun to catch (and easy to see) in the dead water on the top side of the dam.

Below the dam, off the Cedar Bridge and near the M-116 bridge are good places to try on the Sable River. Good Luck!

Buffalo2112 said:
...If you want perch/walleye, head to the south end of the main lake and find a flat...
Buffalo2112 - is right on about these locations, but unless the water surface temp get above 74*, I rarely have to leave the upper lake to catch any walleyes. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts