Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will have a kayak up there starting Monday.............staying at Lakeview Campsite but was wondering how fishable the water is at the park launch.

I am set up with rod holders and FF so I can troll for walleye, pike, etc.

What should I expect if I go there? Fishing good on the West side? What should I expect for water depths and bottom. I like to drag harnesses on a bottom bouncer but will also use hard baits.

Lost Lakes for fishing?

Anyone take a kayak on the canoe trail? The website says there are 6 short portages. I have a rough terrain cart or are they short enough portages to carry?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You should have a lot of fun on Hamlin. I have fished the area around the state park and have had a lot of luck on bass all around the area. I haven't done well on walleye at Hamlin but have heard that the area around the narrows is a good place to start. I am not sure if you want to paddle that far or not.

Good luck, be sure to post some pictures.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
You should be fine on the canoe trail w/ your yak. Most of the portages are like 10 feet between bayous, and alot of the bayous we used to get back into w our 14 foot boat.
For fishing from the state park launch, lost lakes are fine for panfish, bass, and probably a few pike. Out just in front of the launch, the channel opens up and there is an island to the N and a dune to the south called strawberry dune. There is a nice flat out there w/ a drop...the flat I would say is about 12-16 foot w/ mixed weeds, and heavier weeds along the drop. Trolling body baits towards dark will take pike, eyes, and bass. Drifting crawler harnesses will take all of those as well, along w/ rockies, and perch. Stick to the 12-16 foot range for the most part, but tuck in by the drop some too. And you will be fairly protected from the dominant W and SW winds, so it should be fishable most of the time. Otherwise, fish lost lake and the canoe trail, or there by the launch up closer to the dam in the deeper channel and hold above the dam. Like was mentioned, the narrows and infront of the big dunes is good too, but way too far to be worth paddling.

See Dave at Hamlin Sport Center or North Bayou Resort, and he can give you a good update on fishing and some tackle/bait.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I visit the State Park all the time with my kayaks. Lost Lakes are very shallow. They hold fish in the spring. It wont have much of anything in it in the summer. Same goes for the river downstream of the lake (also has strict hook regulations). Pike are abundant as you head out into the main lake. Have fun.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Same goes for the river downstream of the lake (also has strict hook regulations).
Actually, the river below the dam holds a suprising number of impressive fish all summer long. Take a float down it with a snorkel and mask, and you will be suprised by what you see. Catching them can be a little difficult, due to the hook regs in place limiting how you can fish, and the constant train of people floating the river on tubes, but they are in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts