Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whether a blessing or a curse, my daughter Hadley has been saturated with my obsession with deer, and deer habitat her whole life. She just turned 7 has been involved her whole life with food plotting, endless practicing with archery tackle, and obsessively reviewing forecast and radar praying for rain or a cold front depending on the season.
As a 6 year old last year she was determined to harvest her first deer. Early in the year I told her I’d consider it but only if I thought she was ready. That part was very important to me. We, as hunters, some times take for granted the message we may send to kids. I wanted to be sure she understood the significance of taking a life. And the effort required to prepare for that task. Unfortunately, with the way the world went last year I ended up working 6 days a week from March to end of August and just didn’t have the time to spend with her behind the trigger. She was bummed but I made it clear this was my fault and nothing she did wrong. But we needed to be responsible and ready. It’s owed to the animal.
Fast forward to 2021.. there was no way she was missing out this year. As fate would have it, I acquired a great piece of land early this year as well. So we got busy getting everything ready and it was all coming together nicely. Food plots got in the ground, a new elevated blind designed and set in a spot just for her. She spent a ton of time behind the trigger of her new gun and finally she was ready.
Saturday evening we snuck in to the blind at 4p and got settled. The trail camera showed deer browsing in this food plot every evening last week, so my confidence was high on an opportunity. There were plenty of bucks on the cam in daylight but she said she wanted to shoot the first adult deer that presented a shot.
Plant Property Sky Plant community Wood

30 minutes into her first hunt as the shooter a lone doe stepped out from our left. I left the gun in the corner and just watched her. After a minute or so Hadley couldn’t handle it anymore and glared at me and said “DAD, gun”. I eased the gun out the window and we went right into the cadence that we had practiced so many times all summer. Let me know when the scope is full circle, I whispered. A simple nod, yep she said. Are you on the shoulder? I whispered, I barely finished and she sharply said yes. I took the safety off and reminded her squeeze slow.
It didn’t take long and her rifle cracked off! Immediately you could see the doe was hit hard, Hadley had hit her mark. The doe lunged into the nearby cover.
As many of you fathers out there can attest to, the moments following that event are something that will be with me forever.
Ok, ok enough of my long winded story. Here are the pics. She hit the top of heart and the deer made it about 30 feet. Just enough for her to track which she was excited about.
To top it off, mom, or Mrs. Jet to all of you was also in the blind and did a great job getting the whole thing on film. If I can figure out how to post a clip of the video I will.
Clothing Plant Smile Wheel Tire

Smile Plant Grass Fawn Happy

One proud daddy!!!
Smile Plant Hunting Deer hunting Vertebrate

Vertebrate Sunglasses Grass Mammal Tree

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Great story - great preparation - great hunt...and even greater smile from that beautiful young lady!

Well done dad and congrats to the successful hunter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats to her and to you. Neither of my daughters will consider hunting, and both are young adults now, so pretty set in their ways on that one. They have both gone fishing (including fly fishing) with me a few times, but even that is mostly them doing something "with dad" rather than them having their own desire to fish. You're lucky to have a kid that shares the passion.

·
Administrator
17,950 Posts
Congrats! Great story and AWESOME pics of one fine doe! Congratulate Hadley for me!
I surely can attest to the fact that this experience will be a lifetime memory for both the huntress and the dad!
I was up north this past weekend with my now 35 year old son. We had a great time together recounting the story of his first deer ever, that he took in 2000 during the first youth hunt ever!
#SpecialTimes!
<----<<<

·
Registered
19,876 Posts
Good hit on the deer Hadley. Well done.

Congrats! Great deer! And a first too!
Finally.....l.o.l...

Congrats Dad!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Congrats to her on her first of many deer ! Awesome story a great way to tell what this youth season is all about memories made you two will never forget !

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a clip of the shot and her reaction but I can’t figure out how to post it.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only way I have figured out how to load a video is to host is on a third party site such as Youtube and then post the link here.
I’ll give that a shot once I bring the SD card home. I left it at the cabin. I have a cell video of the camera recording but not nearly as good quality as the real thing.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Whether a blessing or a curse, my daughter Hadley has been saturated with my obsession with deer, and deer habitat. She just turned 7 has been involved her whole life with food plotting, endless practicing with archery tackle, and obsessively reviewing forecast and radar praying for rain or a cold front depending on the season.
As a 6 year old last year she was determined to harvest her first deer. Early in the year I told her I’d consider it but only if I thought she was ready. That part was very important to me. We, as hunters, some times take for granted the message we may send to kids. I wanted to be sure she understood the significance of taking a life. And the effort required to prepare for that task. Unfortunately, with the way the world went last year I ended up working 6 days a week from March to end of August and just didn’t have the time to spend with her behind the trigger. She was bummed but I made it clear this was my fault and nothing she did wrong. But we needed to be responsible and ready. It’s owed to the animal.
Fast forward to 2021.. there was no way she was missing out this year. As fate would have it, I acquired a great piece of land early this year as well. So we got busy getting everything ready and it was all coming together nicely. Food plots got in the ground, a new elevated blind designed and set in a spot just for her. She spent a ton of time behind the trigger of her new gun and finally she was ready.
Saturday evening we snuck in to the blind at 4p and got settled. The trail camera showed deer browsing in this food plot every evening last week, so my confidence was high on an opportunity. There were plenty of bucks on the cam in daylight but she said she wanted to shoot the first adult deer that presented a shot. View attachment 786749

30 minutes into her first hunt as the shooter a lone doe stepped out from our left. I left the gun in the corner and just watched her. After a minute or so Hadley couldn’t handle it anymore and glared at me and said “DAD, gun”. I eased the gun out the window and we went right into the cadence that we had practiced so many times all summer. Let me know when the scope is full circle, I whispered. A simple nod, yep she said. Are you on the shoulder? I whispered, I barely finished and she sharply said yes. I took the safety off and reminded her squeeze slow.
It didn’t take long and her rifle cracked off! Immediately you could see the doe was hit hard, Hadley had hit her mark. The doe lunged into the nearby cover.
As many of you fathers out there can attest to, the moments following that event are something that will be with me forever.
Ok, ok enough of my long winded story. Here are the pics. She hit the top of heart and the deer made it about 30 feet. Just enough for her to track which she was excited about.
To top it off, mom, or Mrs. Jet to all of you was also in the blind and did a great job getting the whole thing on film. If I can figure out how to post a clip of the video I will.
View attachment 786755
View attachment 786756
One proud daddy!!!
View attachment 786757
View attachment 786763
Fantastic!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts