Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing to research and establish NSWG at my property in NW LP. The search function on the site hasn't produced much detailed info and I want to compare with other MI resources. I'm looking for some insight on proper herbicide for weed control, planting instructions, timing (spring vs. fall planting), where to purchase seed, etc.

I'm currently planning and working on my habitat plan from Jake E. I will strongly suggest any landowner to hire his services. To receive the actual plan may take 3-4+ months but it will be well worth the time and money saved in the long run!!!

So far Star Seed seems good. We have pretty dry soil. Here is Star's suggested MI mix:
Well Drained Soil (DRY) - State Wide Mix: 25% Big Bluestem, 8% Little Bluestem, 3% Green Needle Grass, 18% Indiangrass, 5% Sideoats Grama, 25% Switchgrass, 5% Canada Wildrye, 13% Virginia Wildrye

Thank you for your response,
Brandon

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
How do you plan on getting it into the ground? Are you renting a drill from the CD or do you have one? Or are you using hand spreader?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Google.... 'Old Field Management Quality Whitetails' by Craig Harper and John Gruchy.
Someone posted a link to this article the other day...GOOD READ!!!

Maybe they will copy the link here for you. I cant remember where it was.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I'm preparing to research and establish NSWG at my property in NW LP. The search function on the site hasn't produced much detailed info and I want to compare with other MI resources. I'm looking for some insight on proper herbicide for weed control, planting instructions, timing (spring vs. fall planting), where to purchase seed, etc.

I'm currently planning and working on my habitat plan from Jake E. I will strongly suggest any landowner to hire his services. To receive the actual plan may take 3-4+ months but it will be well worth the time and money saved in the long run!!!

So far Star Seed seems good. We have pretty dry soil. Here is Star's suggested MI mix:
Well Drained Soil (DRY) - State Wide Mix: 25% Big Bluestem, 8% Little Bluestem, 3% Green Needle Grass, 18% Indiangrass, 5% Sideoats Grama, 25% Switchgrass, 5% Canada Wildrye, 13% Virginia Wildrye

Thank you for your response,
Brandon
Did you call on the price? How much per acre for that mix?
Talk to me fast1967!! I have 10 - 15 acres of wasteland we need improve so this is the the plan Im leaning toward also. I plan on mixing in strategically placed transplanted shrubs and trees in there also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Current pricing from Star Seed:
-MI Deer Cover Native Grass Mix 1 acre bag
-Well Drained Soil (Dry) = $117.09/acre = 15# bag
-Poorly Drained Soil (Wet) = $104.02/acre = 15# bag

They recommended drilled seed but if broadcasted add 15-20%. They also preferred late fall (November) dormant seeding. Shipping would roughly be $20/bag for lower MI.

I was planning on broadcasting.

That was a great read Jigin! Thanks for the tip. Here is the link again:
http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/habitatmanageoldfields.pdf

I had found a few yesterday that I haven't had the chance to read yet but seem helpful:

http://http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/personnel/charper/pdfs/PB1752.pdf

https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/SP731-B.pdf

Found this from the MI DNR:
http://ww2.dnr.state.mi.us/publicat...abitat/Reports/WLD-library/3000-3099/3082.pdf

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Current pricing from Star Seed:
-MI Deer Cover Native Grass Mix 1 acre bag
-Well Drained Soil (Dry) = $117.09/acre = 15# bag
-Poorly Drained Soil (Wet) = $104.02/acre = 15# bag
:yikes::yikes: They dont give that stuff away ..thats for sure.
Im hoping to burn next winter/spring and go the au-natural route of producing the NWSG and also add some switchgrass for cover and screens in certain places.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
If your not required by a program for a specific planting, I would advocate diversity. Plant winding strips of NWSG throughout the field and inbetween these strips, disc and let mother nature regrow. Maybe plant some dogwoods or some other shrubs to help mother nature along. Dr. Craig Harper will be speaking about this natural regeneration at the SEMI Habitat day.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I would try switchgrass. Who is craig harper?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Good luck on your project, make sure to post some pics. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you are searching the forum for "NSWG", that might be why you're not getting a lot of results.

Native Warm Season Grasses, (NWSG) is what you're looking for and the mix you mentioned looks to be a good one. No, these stands are not inexpensive to establish, but if you do it right, they become a permanent part of the landscape. What's more, they belong there and are a tremendous benefit to many species of wildlife; even the very soil, itself. With semi-annual burns to help reduce competition from non-native weed species, these stands of NWSG are the perfect bedding and fawning cover.

Do a search for "dbltree NWSG" and I imagine you'll find much of the information you're seeking. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts