Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just found this site looking for a last ditch effort to save my bear season for this year.

I am hoping to find a guide with an open spot for me this coming weekend. I work on a large dairy farm in southwest Michigan and drew a tag for the late season in Gwinn BMU. Harvest on the farm was much later than normal this year and this is my only weekend off and only opportunity to hunt.

If anybody can point me in the right direction for a guide with either bait or dogs I would really appreciate it. I can only hunt all day Saturday, and Sunday morning, as I can travel north after work on Friday, and have to be back to work by 4:45 AM on Monday.

If I can't find anything quickly, I will have to scratch the plan for this year and start collecting points again.

Thanks for any help and leads.

Rick Olson

·
Registered
35,268 Posts
Good luck. Most have gone into hibernation. There was a couple inches of snow on the ground about 20 miles north of the bridge this morning. The weather forecast showed more snow in that BMU.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Hi everyone, just found this site looking for a last ditch effort to save my bear season for this year.

I am hoping to find a guide with an open spot for me this coming weekend. I work on a large dairy farm in southwest Michigan and drew a tag for the late season in Gwinn BMU. Harvest on the farm was much later than normal this year and this is my only weekend off and only opportunity to hunt.

If anybody can point me in the right direction for a guide with either bait or dogs I would really appreciate it. I can only hunt all day Saturday, and Sunday morning, as I can travel north after work on Friday, and have to be back to work by 4:45 AM on Monday.

If I can't find anything quickly, I will have to scratch the plan for this year and start collecting points again.

Thanks for any help and leads.

Rick Olson
PM me.

·
Premium Member
9,485 Posts
A lot of Acorns in the UP this year. Every bear except one that visited my stations was very fat. I'm sure many of those a snoozing.

1076.JPG

Except this guy.

The bigger boars are still wandering around I imagine. Good luck OP!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Click on the user name and start conversation.
I tried that and it gave me an error message. Says I do not have permission for that.
Do I have to be on this forum for a certain length of time, or number of posts before that permission is granted by the admin?

·
Registered
35,268 Posts
You may not have enough posts to be able to start a conversation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you to everyone that offered help and insight to my post. Unfortunately, it is not going to work out for me this year. As I said, I knew it was a long shot. Back to building points. Have decided to stay home and bow hunt this weekend instead. I have a few pics of a couple large whitetails on my game cameras.

Thanks again!!
Rick

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Many bears go into hibernation in late September to Early October.
People don't understand this.... But its true! I've seen them out in December and January several times in last ten years but there are bears that go under way earlier then most people would think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts