Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the rules on gutting your deer on state land? How about private land?

I have always done it but I heard it is technically not lawful.

thanks

·
Banned
11,839 Posts

thanks
I have never read any law that made it unlawful, technically or otherwise. There could be some new law that I am not aware of since the CWD thing in the last year but not to my knowledge.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts

thanks
So technically what did you think one was supposed to do with the gut pile?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I know I read in the past, and more than once over the years, that you cant discard the guts into any water system such as a lake, river or pond. Figures, when I try to find it, I cant.

Here are a few DNR links about field dressing

http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/deer_field-dressing.pdf

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10856_10905-47502--,00.html
Look in the fishing rules, I believe that is hwere you read it, I am sure it applies to all animals though and should be included in the hunting guides as well.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
As to removing heart/liver-any area-hunters have been ticketed for removing-and that would be from a pile that you came on-not from your kill. Untagged deer I suppose.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
As to removing heart/liver-any area-hunters have been ticketed for removing-and that would be from a pile that you came on-not from your kill. Untagged deer I suppose.
I'm guessing you heard that from a friend of a friend?

·
Registered
391 Posts

I don't think that u can get a ticket for taking a heart from a pile of guts in the woods. I also would not do this myself but if someone wants to go rooting around in an old gut pile I think they can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I quit gutting my deer in the woods. I have actually taken the extra effort to drag the deer in and hang it with the guts in it. It's tough but feasible. When you hang it, put a trash bag in a five gallon pail below it. Cut and pull the guts into the bucket, zip, tie, and discard. I was just curious because I know it is quite common to gut deer in the woods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To my knowledge, there is no law against gut pilin'. I wouldn't think the DNR would want to track down every pile and it's owner. Hell gut piles feed the wildlife in the area. There's my two cents lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts