Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Bolts are pretty simple, but I have none of the measuring equipment necessary for checking things like headspace, firing pin protrusion, etc.

I know it's not dirt or gummed up old grease in the bolt, and I know the firing pin spring isn't broken... But beyond that I'm at a loss.

I AM really interested - because I've never had a centerfire have misfire issues, and because this rifle had never misfired once in a couple hundred rounds prior to this fall. What changed, and why?
I'm no gunsmith but I do put together some rifles. I've seen more weak firing springs from fairly new rifles than you'd believe. If your rifle shot fine for X amount of firings then became hit and miss, it's possible the spring needs replacing. Just an observation from your experience. I'm sure you'll get it remedied. Please post your findings.

·
Premium Member
30,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm no gunsmith but I do build rifles. I've seen more weak firing springs from fairly new rifles than you'd believe. If your rifle shot fine for X amount of firings then became hit and miss, it's possible the spring needs replacing. Just an observation from your experience. I'm sure you'll get it remedied. Please post your findings.
Based on a bunch of internet research - weak springs seem to be somewhat common for TC.

So much so that a few different online folks specifically sell replacement kits for their break action rifles/muzzleloaders - and people are often told to remove hammer extensions due to misfire problems.

...now, that is the break open guns... But a bit suspicious.

·
Registered
788 Posts
A few years ago, maybe 4 or 5, I had a shotgun to Dick Williams 3 times to get fixed for a similar issue. Each time they said it was good. Unfortunately it was not. In their defense they only charged me the first time, but the issue was still never resolved. I just ended up getting a different gun.

2 other people I know also had one hell of an experience there(not in a good way) with their gunsmithing services. These were both pretty recent.

I'd say try Williams Gunsight in Davison. They used to be a TC warranty center I believe. But with TC essentially out of business I'm not sure how that works. But at the very least I'd have pretty good confidence the problem would be solved after getting it back.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Based on a bunch of internet research - weak springs seem to be somewhat common for TC.

So much so that a few different online folks specifically sell replacement kits for their break action rifles/muzzleloaders - and people are often told to remove hammer extensions due to misfire problems.

...now, that is the break open guns... But a bit suspicious.
Like I said, I'm no smith. I don't do any chambering or machine work. Assembly is all I do. I've assembled several various manufacturers rifles and that problem IS common in bolt guns with factory actions. Customs, hardly ever. Once a non-OEM pin and spring purchased to replace the factory one, that problem disappears or rarely is ever an issue.

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
Bolts are pretty simple, but I have none of the measuring equipment necessary for checking things like headspace, firing pin protrusion, etc.

I know it's not dirt or gummed up old grease in the bolt, and I know the firing pin spring isn't broken... But beyond that I'm at a loss.

I AM really interested - because I've never had a centerfire have misfire issues, and because this rifle had never misfired once in a couple hundred rounds prior to this fall. What changed, and why?
I read through all your posts from both threads. My gut feeling is one of two issues. It is either the ammo or weak spring as others have said. I highly doubt you have an issue like head clearance that suddenly started. I read through some forums and found some guys who claim to have had issues with primers on hornady ammo for your caliber. One guy cited your gun specifically not liking hornady ammo. It wouldnt be unheard of for a box of ammo to have 20-30% of the rounds with primer seating issues. I have an older 16 ga that has had an issue with Rio brand shells and no other brand. It is definately a primer issue. I can run the same rounds through my ithaca pump with no issue but my Remington semi auto will misfire 4-5 out of every box. I stopped buying rio brand and problem was solved. My son has simiar issue with an 870 and estate brand shells.

·
Premium Member
30,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If it were the ammo, I'd generally expect it to be consistent though.

My .22 bolt gun for example will not fire one particular ammo. Lots of misfires, and rounds won't extract - but it's been that way since the first time I ever tried it, and it's consistent.

This gun has been shooting the same ammo, without a misfire, for a few years... Then suddenly started in the middle of a box.

·
Registered
12,696 Posts

My .22 bolt gun for example will not fire one particular ammo. Lots of misfires, and rounds won't extract - but it's been that way since the first time I ever tried it, and it's consistent.

This gun has been shooting the same ammo, without a misfire, for a few years... Then suddenly started in the middle of a box.
Is it new ammo or old? Tons of things have changed over the last few years in the ammo world. Suppliers are making rounds for other brands. Brands that make their own are scrounging for alternative primers. You could easily have a single bad box that is 40% bad 60% good. It makes more sense than the gun mysteriously breaking over the summer in storage.....unless you disassembled it at the end of last season and put something together wrong. I did that one year. Put a spacer on the wrong end of a spring on a shotgun. Ruined my sons youth duck hunt one morning with misfires.

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
A $10 set of calipers from an auto parts store will allow you to measure the primer depths on your shells. You could also measure the length of pin protruding through the bolt face.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts

How's the bolt close when chambering a round ? Has it been the same since you our based the rifle ? Not bolt lift but bolt closure on a live round.

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
Those dents, although difficult to really see in pictures, didn't look too bad really. But light strike is still the most likely.
I felt the same way about the dents. Although it is possible that too long of a pin can cause the same issue. The bolt will not gain proper speed if the pin is too long. You can actually slowly dent a primer without firing. Much less likely of a scenario to just pop up like this. Combined with abnormal primer seating in the round can cause it though. Two issues slightly out of spec.

I still say lousy ammo. Especially if it was bought this year with the shortage going on. Manufacturing issues are higher. I was shopping for a new fridge. Salesman warned me that I was going to be unhappy with scratches and dents. He said 8 out of 10 deliveries are complaining. Lots of quality issues in manufacturing.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I still say lousy ammo. Especially if it was bought this year with the shortage going on.
I had a brick of CCI250 primers I couldn't trust in multiple rifles that I bought during Obama Scare I.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Probably more than the time you mentioned but how far is Dick Williams in Saginaw, actually 10 mi or so South.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Can you just order a new spring? I'm the fix it myself kind of person. I had a Savage Axis that suddenly developed similar issues and I built a spacer into the bolt head to preload more tension onto the old spring and viola no more problems. I imagine a new spring would have worked for me and would work for you..

I would bet it's something simple like a marginally weak spring that gave up the ghost. This based on the information you supplied. Try and find a new spring.. You said that you had already disassembled the bolt so it should be just as easy except to install a different spring..

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Can you just order a new spring? I'm the fix it myself kind of person. I had a Savage Axis that suddenly developed similar issues and I built a spacer into the bolt head to preload more tension onto the old spring and viola no more problems. I imagine a new spring would have worked for me and would work for you..

I would bet it's something simple like a marginally weak spring that gave up the ghost. This based on the information you supplied. Try and find a new spring.. You said that you had already disassembled the bolt so it should be just as easy except to install a different spring..
Yep, Brownells carries parts for most rifles. Midway does also.

·
Premium Member
30,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
A $10 set of calipers from an auto parts store will allow you to measure the primer depths on your shells. You could also measure the length of pin protruding through the bolt face.
Yeah, I have like three sets and all of them were missing...

I found a set this morning, and measured some primer depths.

The Superformance ARE deeper than the other primers, but not nearly enough that I'd think it would matter (or would even trust the measurement).

Remington Silvertip: 0.002"
Browning BXR: 0.003"
Superformance: 0.005"

I'm not seeing 2 thousandths making much difference.

How's the bolt close when chambering a round ? Has it been the same since you our based the rifle ? Not bolt lift but bolt closure on a live round.
Hmmm... I will say it seems to chamber a bit easier than when new.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts