Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some misfire issues with my TC Venture, and looking for some gunsmith recommendations in the SE Michigan area. Preferably within 30 minutes of Ann Arbor/Ypsi.

·
Premium Member
30,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get it fixed and sell the gun. With an issue like that I would never be able to trust that it will perform the only job it has to do. That or see if they will take it in on trade instead.
If it had been a consistent problem, I'd probably agree... and it's be easier if it weren't the rifle my kid shot his first deer with.

The gun has shot great for a couple years though, and it IS the rifle my kid shot his first deer with - so I'm inclined to go for another repair, and then run several boxes of ammo through it at the range.

...but any issues after another repair, and it'll definitely be gone.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Having some misfire issues with my TC Venture, and looking for some gunsmith recommendations in the SE Michigan area. Preferably within 30 minutes of Ann Arbor/Ypsi.
Johnson’s sporting goods in Adrian on m52 that should be do able distance and we’ll worth it.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
It's not within 30 minutes but Dick Williams is near Birch Run and they are worth the drive. I'd say it's around an hour from your area. 989-777-1240.

·
Registered
12,697 Posts
Am I the only that is itching to look at this gun deep down inside? Sure seems like with a bolt action there has to be some logical reason for this issue that can be pin pointed. Most bolt actions arent that complicated. Wish I wasnt so far away and heading out of town for awhile!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Could care less about members that don't see eye to eye. I've had a few myself so nobody's perfect. We're talking about a youth hunter that had a bad youth weekend, not his Dad. He didn't ask for that experience. Either help or stay the hell out of his thread. Have a little respect for the young man and not bring your personal BS between him and his father to this thread.

·
38,569 Posts
If you are up that way again, might give Williams another chance. The returned spent casings seem odd, but it also seems like they didn't have time to truly investigate and figure it out, so they checked the most obvious things. Maybe if not in a rush they'll pinpoint the issue and give you confidence back.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
At least call them and tell them it’s not fixed. See what the guy says and go from there

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Many times on newer model rifles, dirt and lack of cleaning can be a problem. Could be they tried to clean it up and when it fired for them as It did for the OP prior to using it to hunt, they assumed that was it. Unfortunately that wasn't the issue. Sure hope his son gets a chance to redeem himself with that same rifle this November whether the same place repairs it or another shop takes care of it. My guess is it's a weak firing pin spring or damaged firing pin. Something a Smith can easily determine. More than likely the spring if Williams checked it out. They'd have seen a bad firing pin.

·
Premium Member
30,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Am I the only that is itching to look at this gun deep down inside? Sure seems like with a bolt action there has to be some logical reason for this issue that can be pin pointed. Most bolt actions arent that complicated. Wish I wasnt so far away and heading out of town for awhile!
Bolts are pretty simple, but I have none of the measuring equipment necessary for checking things like headspace, firing pin protrusion, etc.

I know it's not dirt or gummed up old grease in the bolt, and I know the firing pin spring isn't broken... But beyond that I'm at a loss.

I AM really interested - because I've never had a centerfire have misfire issues, and because this rifle had never misfired once in a couple hundred rounds prior to this fall. What changed, and why?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts