Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just moved to a VERY humid location and I am worried about storing my guns. My plan is to get a small gun safe to store them. The ones I have looked at do not have doors that are sealed to moisture. Does anyone have any tricks to help keep them from rusting?

My wife suggested that I might want to vacuum seal them - maybe with something to dry the air inside the bag. Has anyone tried this and does it help?

My guess is I would not want to use salt as a desiccant. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a desiccant?

·
Registered
18,972 Posts
Reactions: WMU05

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I guess it depends on if it's long term storage or just locked up but ready to use.
Long term I would coat them in some type of Grease (Like a modern version of WWII vintage cosmoline) to seal out moisture.
Short term I would invest in one of the plug in dehumidifiers for gun safes and also pick up some of the rechargeable desiccants to throw in there.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Heater in the storage case. Not sure it should be sealed or not.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sealing them in a bag will help. I would still keep a close eyeball on them. IMO its where we store guns that is the most important thing. If your already questioning the local, maybe you need to find a better place...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I have the same thing as cscott711 and it works great.just check it every so often to make sure it doesn't need recharged.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Tractor supply has the rechargeable type dehumidifier for $23.00? Picked one up today, will see how it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts