Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle has just suddenly became gun shy. I've shot both shotguns and rifles around her ever since I got her as a pup and she did just fine. Just the other day I went to take her hunting and she was all for it until she saw the gun. Once she saw the gun she ran into the house and started shaking. I felt so bad, I tried to get her to go hunting all day and had no luck she just ran in the house and started shaking again. I think my neighbor shot at her. I've shot around her since then trying to reassure her in between shots that the gun won't hurt her and it doesn't seem to be working. I can't think of anything else to do to convince her that the gun won't hurt. Is there anything else I should be doing besides shooting around her and petting her etc... in between shots. It's all I have ever been taught to do. So I'm looking for advice. Any at all would be greatly appreciated. shes two years old.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The first thing I would do is try and take her hunting without a gun. Leave the gun at home and try and take her into the woods and let her run some rabbits. After a few times of that maybe you can slowly introduce guns again. Also I wouldn't shoot around her and then console her about her fear as you are renforcing her behavior of being affraid.

Good luck,
Bear Creek

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I agree with BC

remember one thing dogs are not born gun shy they are made that way

scott

·
Registered
391 Posts
You are going to have to gun break her all over again, but it will be more difficult this time. Do like Bear Creek said. Next, I would get a partner with a gun a long ways away. Far enough to where it is not at all loud. Keep the dog excited with a toy, dummy or whatever and keep moving closer as long as the dog can take it. You are going to have to associate the gun shots with POSITIVE things. If the dog shows ANY signs of nervousness, STOP, begin again the next day. This is what I would do but I am by no means a pro. This is how I break my dogs and have broke other peoples gun shy dogs (that they messed up) for them like this. The key is excitement and positive association.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Bear Creek said:
The first thing I would do is try and take her hunting without a gun. Leave the gun at home and try and take her into the woods and let her run some rabbits. After a few times of that maybe you can slowly introduce guns again. Also I wouldn't shoot around her and then console her about her fear as you are renforcing her behavior of being affraid.

Good luck,
Bear Creek
That is some good advice from bear creek.
As a bird dog guy, I feel kind of funny saying this, but here it goes...
Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits. get your dog on a bunch and keep him excited about chasing them.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I have never heard of a dog becomming gun shy after it was gun broke.

Unless it had been shot.

I would try and run her some as bear creek said. But it is not likely she will come out of it if she reacted that bad to the gun.

Was she recently vaccinated? Just curiouse.

·
Registered
26,583 Posts
I want to observe this disscussion. My beagle was never afraid of gun shots and actually became excited about them until one bad night. We went to a friends' in Newport to go fishing and one of thier friends' snuck behind the fence and started letting off fire works and the D!ck wouldn't stop. Even after he saw my dog going bezerk! Now thunder storms or the neighbor sighting in gets him cowering and shaking. I wish I could get his confidence back. When we are hunting it's no big deal, cause when he's on a rabbit, he knows what the game is there. Oh and he's a 3 year old spoiled rotten house dog but lives to chase the bunnies. (I can't say rabbit, he might hear me and he knows that word)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
As you all know my old beagle was shot 1 year ago

never stoped him he is still a crazed rabbiting fool

I dont think they know what really hurt them to be honest

scott

·
Registered
26,583 Posts
timbergsp said:
As you all know my old beagle was shot 1 year ago

never stoped him he is still a crazed rabbiting fool

I dont think they know what really hurt them to be honest

scott
Very good to hear Scott. I was very impressed with him and happy that he is still with you. I hope that kid that shot him got :bash:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Robert W. McCoy Jr my dog has not been recently vacinated. I'm not sure if the dog has been shot because I have never seen any wounds or injuries that would lead me to believe that she had been shot. Thanks guys for all of your advice, I guess I'll start by hunting her without the gun tonight.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I wonder if you were to carry a walking stick for a couple times and then
maybe the gun without shooting. Just so when you try to reintroduce Ole Betsy,
the dog won't notice you're carrying something new that it thinks may hurt it.
Huh? I think I confused my self....:yeahthat:

·
Registered
26,583 Posts
Ballgame19 said:
I wonder if you were to carry a walking stick for a couple times and then
maybe the gun without shooting. Just so when you try to reintroduce Ole Betsy,
the dog won't notice you're carrying something new that it thinks may hurt it.
Huh? I think I confused my self....:yeahthat:
Maybe a training pistol hidden in the pocket to fire a shot when the chase is really heated too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts