Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Gun Maintenance ?

1K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Topshelf 
#1 ·
How often do most of you "break down" your shotguns, removing bolt and trigger mechanisms? I've heard varying opinions on this. Obviously, how often used and shooting conditions play a role but is there an accepted rule of thumb, especially for autoloaders?

I guess a gun can never be too clean, but it can be a bit of a pain and I'm not quite gunsmith status.
Yes I'm looking at O/U's...

#2 ·
I really don't use my 1187 much anymore but I would give it a good cleaning depending on the weather. If it was relatively dry, I'll just wipe it down before putting away.

Most spray lubes can gum them up, so I would always apply liberally. I wouldn't tear it apart but try and give a little squirt in the trigger mechanism and any moving parts.

I ended up going to sxs because the autoloaders I had got heavy after a weekend of humping them around. Of course, my first sxs was a Browning 12 guage that I find just as heavy now.

After I got my new CZ Bobwhite 20guage, I feel sorry for all the guys carrying those 6 pounders!

#4 · (Edited)
Depends on what I've been doing. If it was a wet day and the gun was brushing against all manner of brush with crap falling into the action or something, I'd make sure to clean it before the next outing. If I went clay shooting and put a box of shells or more through it, the same applies.

Depending on the auto, it might be good policy to clean it after every trip that you fire it. Rumor has it that guns like the Remington 11-87 need a good cleaning after every 100 rounds or so, but I don't know if there is anything to it.

I only use a pump gun and an O/U at the moment however and I'm a bit of a stickler for keeping guns clean and oiled. I don't however take the bolt out of my pump very often, mostly because it's a pain. Regardless, a clean and oiled gun of any make is a functioning gun that's less likely to jam or have other problems...that's how I see it. It also helps ensure that it will last you a long while.

#5 ·
mmm yikes,,,, im about to p.o. all the gunsmiths....
i don't think i have had my 870 apart in a decade.
my winchester ducks unlimited once since i owned it , about 5 years, because i dropped it in the lake.
my winchester model 17, built in 1937... i think my dad cleaned it before he passed away.....

most i ever do is swab the barrel, and wipe er down with gun oil

#6 ·
I called my buddy Chamookman to tell him about taking the girls to Bear Creek to shoot some Phez. Then I asked him if he was sitting down. He said no and I said well you better sit down. OK, what's up? he says. That's when I told him I was cleaning the Fausti. There was a thud and someother noise over the phone and a long silence. Then he comes back and says, Geez man, you almost gave me a heart attack. YOU are cleaning a gun??? Yeah well it had to happen some time. I kinda hate to clean my guns. I wipe them down and everything, but I rarely do a full teardown cleaning.:D:coolgleam FRANK

#7 ·
When in the Army it was after each use.

While unemployed it was after each use.

These days my upland guns and deer rifle get a quick swipe down for fingerprints, etc on the outside after each use or two and a barrel swipe after a few uses followed by a good tear down cleaning end of season.

#10 ·
Can't say I've ever done it as a matter of routine maintenance. Once - long ago - I slipped off a log while crossing the Middle Branch of the Muskegon River and my Remington 3200 went to the bottom - luckily about three feet. Retrieved it, wiped myself off and went on hunting. Can't specifically remember pulling the stock and cleaning up the innards. Again I've never done this sort of thing unless there's been a specific problem.

Hoppe's no.10

#12 ·
I called my buddy Chamookman to tell him about taking the girls to Bear Creek to shoot some Phez. Then I asked him if he was sitting down. He said no and I said well you better sit down. OK, what's up? he says. That's when I told him I was cleaning the Fausti. There was a thud and someother noise over the phone and a long silence. Then he comes back and says, Geez man, you almost gave me a heart attack. YOU are cleaning a gun??? Yeah well it had to happen some time. I kinda hate to clean my guns. I wipe them down and everything, but I rarely do a full teardown cleaning.:D:coolgleam FRANK

Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one. I haven't even taken mine in the house since the end of August:yikes:

#15 ·
I clean my Benelli often, some times every year. :yikes:

#16 ·
most guns are never worn out by shooting them. they are worn out by taking them apart for cleaning, I clean my barrels regularly and wipe the gun down often but have never taken one apart for cleaning.
Despite varying opinions, yours creeps into my mind when I ponder how clean is "clean". I always at least swab the barrell and wipe down after each session. I still wonder if I need or should do more.

I was handed down an older Franchi about 2 yrs ago from an uncle that passed (GRHS).
A 12 ga auto-very light- with a fixed open choke, a true European bird gun. I hold this gun in high regard. Works fine the few times shot since I'ved owned it. Not sure if it was ever completely broke down and I'd like the peace of mind of knowing its as clean as it can get. The magazine tube was gummed up big time, I'm concerned the trigger group and bolt/slide are as well. Maybe I'll just pay a pro to do it, as I'm not confident to pull the pins out of it for fear of doing more harm than good.
My other auto is a Winchester Super X2 that is a breeze to break down, I've only done it once in the few yrs I've owned it. I don't want it to lose its "smoothness" weather its from wear and tear or cleaning.

Thanks for the replies

#17 ·
Despite varying opinions, yours creeps into my mind when I ponder how clean is "clean". I always at least swab the barrell and wipe down after each session. I still wonder if I need or should do more.

I was handed down an older Franchi about 2 yrs ago from an uncle that passed (GRHS).
A 12 ga auto-very light- with a fixed open choke, a true European bird gun. I hold this gun in high regard. Works fine the few times shot since I'ved owned it. Not sure if it was ever completely broke down and I'd like the peace of mind of knowing its as clean as it can get. The magazine tube was gummed up big time, I'm concerned the trigger group and bolt/slide are as well. Maybe I'll just pay a pro to do it, as I'm not confident to pull the pins out of it for fear of doing more harm than good.
My other auto is a Winchester Super X2 that is a breeze to break down, I've only done it once in the few yrs I've owned it. I don't want it to lose its "smoothness" weather its from wear and tear or cleaning.

Thanks for the replies
If you're thinking of breaking it down that far, I'd recommend finding a good gun smith. There's giving the gun a good cleaning, and then there's total disassembly.

#18 ·
Rem 1100's are so easy to pull the trigger group I did it often.
I've had my Benelli for three years and haven't pulled it apart yet. :yikes:
So my answer is somewhere between often and every 3 years...or so.
What he said about 1100's. I trap shoot with mine so I tear it down about every other shoot. Talk about well engineered with the consumer/average guy in mind. Unscrew the knob holding the barrel, pull the barrel off and the O ring. Push two pins through on the reciever, drop the whole trigger group, insert finger into the reciever and push the latch holding the bolt, pull the bolt and then clean and reassemble. So easy a caveman can do it.

My model 12 Winchester...... Umm only the gun smith cleans that one inside the reciever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.