Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
NOTICE:

DNR- Fisheries Division will be conducting a bass population estimate survey as well as looking at the general fish community of Gun Lake for the next two weeks.

Two electrofishing boats and two tagging boats will be on the lake each night from 7 pm until 2 am from Oct. 6 through Oct. 17.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Fished Gun on Saturday. Nothing special, we caught a few pike, the biggest was about 28 inches on a crankbait.

There was something jumping right out of the water all over the place. I could not figure out what they were but they were. They looked too slender to be bass and too short for pike. If I didn't know better I would have though rainbows, but I have never heard of them being in Gun.

·
Habitual outdoorsman
988 Posts
There was something jumping right out of the water all over the place. I could not figure out what they were but they were. They looked too slender to be bass and too short for pike. If I didn't know better I would have though rainbows, but I have never heard of them being in Gun.
Jumping right out of the water- like you saw the whole fish head to tail, all in the air at once??? And you saw a lot of these??? How big were they?

Gun does have a strong gar population, but they are of course quite distinctive looking, and they would not be jumping clear out of the water. They actually sip air from the surface and then tail & splash on the way down, that's what you'd see from them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts