Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after hunting late season and using my buddys gun i decided i needed a 3 1/2 inch. what would be a better choice a 870 or a benelli nova?

·
Registered
565 Posts
My vote is for the Benelli Nova, it's an excellent gun for the money. I've put about twenty cases (250 shells per case) of shells through mine in the past two years and it hasn't missed a beat. I'm not that consistent about cleaning my gun either. I love it when people come out with big $$ autos and they jam up - I've seen just about every auto loader jam up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
you are looking to start a riot arent ya? i can see this thread going 3 pages of people back and forth. your best bet is to go to a shop, play with each one and decide on your own. they are both great guns.

or you can take my advice and buy the remington ;)
~chris~

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
bartley said:
you are looking to start a riot arent ya? i can see this thread going 3 pages of people back and forth. your best bet is to go to a shop, play with each one and decide on your own. they are both great guns.

or you can take my advice and buy the remington ;)
~chris~
yeah i second that, i have both and i dont like the safety on the nova. it just dont feel right to me so go and handle each one and pick the one that feels better.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've owned both, as well as a Mossberg pump, and the one I've shot the longest (and still shoot) is the Benelli. It fits me better than the others, and it seems to clean easier. The plastic stock is the best thing in a duck blind - I don't care what happens to it. Try them out and see which fits you best though, you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Come on now who whats to intruduce the auto loaders into the mix?????:evil:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I own a Benelli and a 870. Buy an 870. They never ever break down. The only thing that goes wrong with them is the firing pin. They are a dime a dozen, darn near a throw away! I have a SBE also, after 10 year's of abuse it has broke down on me twice. Don't forget though, it has had over three cases of 3 1/2's through it per year. Not to mention all of the target load's. Anyone who was at the MS meet and skeet can tell you, that day alone I shot 1 flat (250 round's) of ammo. That wasn't a fluke either. What it boil's down to is, find what fit's you. What can you afford, and what are you mainly gonna do with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys i think i'm going down to williams to check em' out :bash:

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
cupped-n-locked said:
because they've been for sale longer!!!! :)
i would bet that rem 870's sold this year eclipse just about all other shotguns combined. think they still sell them at wally worlds which i'm sure helps.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
of bankruptcy. Although I like both the 870 [shot many Trap tournaments with them] and the Benelli Pump is also a nice gun.... So many choices!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Browning BPS. If you're looking at pumps then have them pull one off the rack for you. I know it's not an 870 or Benelli, but thought that I'd give it a mention.

Handle a bunch of 'em. The fit is what will sell you in the end.

·
Registered
522 Posts
OHHH come on now. Im investing into a new gun too a 10g auto or pump Gotta have one:yikes: . Over compensating NO! Cheaper than shooting 12G bisth or tung. Just a thought. Actually how many here have a 10g or would like to buy one. Not trying to start a war either so just some thoughts.:hide:

Mykass

·
Registered
622 Posts
I owned one and sold it to Lii' Tanker. Some of the other guy's in our group own 10's as well. Most have retired them and gone back to a 12. I think every waterfowler at some point desire's a man cannon.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Super X 2.......Hands down the best 3.5" 12 around....Buddy has a SBE...he hates it, been back to shop 3 times, broken everything. I have had my SX2 for about 6 years....no problems...roughly 10,000 rounds total through it, even cycles 1oz trap loads, and will cycle 7/8 oz trap loads with sure cylce spring in.

For the price, you could buy two SX2's for one SBE....you do the math!

·
Registered
11,636 Posts
SWMIH20FOWLER said:
Super X 2.......Hands down the best 3.5" 12 around....Buddy has a SBE...he hates it, been back to shop 3 times, broken everything. I have had my SX2 for about 6 years....no problems...roughly 10,000 rounds total through it, even cycles 1oz trap loads, and will cycle 7/8 oz trap loads with sure cylce spring in.

For the price, you could buy two SX2's for one SBE....you do the math!
I have a superX2 and 870sp. The 870sp you do NOT have to clean ever (if you don't care) and it will continue to shoot. The superX2 can't go without cleaning....tried it a few times this year. I've never claimed i take good care of my duck guns.....but when you hunt everyday sometimes its gets low priority. But i would list the X2 as the best auto i've shot.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I will second you on the fact that I do not take great care of my guns either, during the season...I put well over 2,000 rounds through my SX2 before cleaning it, and the only reason I cleaned it, was I had time.....never had any problems...And when it was -40 earlier this year.....ok, a bit of an exaggeration, but I watched it make ice around me for about 4 hours, my gun was iced up, and it still shot wonderfully! It is a tough gun.

Don't count on your Benelli, or Rem for that...although Rem would be second choice.

·
Registered
622 Posts
SWMIH20FOWLER said:
I will second you on the fact that I do not take great care of my guns either, during the season...I put well over 2,000 rounds through my SX2 before cleaning it, and the only reason I cleaned it, was I had time.....never had any problems...And when it was -40 earlier this year.....ok, a bit of an exaggeration, but I watched it make ice around me for about 4 hours, my gun was iced up, and it still shot wonderfully! It is a tough gun.

Don't count on your Benelli, or Rem for that...although Rem would be second choice.
I was caribou hunting up near NT in true -40 and my SBE cycled fine when I was shooting tarmigan's. Gasoline was freezing, that's f'ing cold. The SBE2's are the one's with problem's that I have heard. The SX2 couldn't even compare to a Benelli, unless you need wieght to anchor your boat.:lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts