Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my girlfriend a 20 gauge. Her and I mostly shoot clays together and she might occasionaly come out to the duck blind with me. She currently uses my mossberg 500 20 gauge, but it is a full size gun and a little to large for her to handle comfortabley. I don't want to spend to much since she won't be using it too often and it won't be getting much abuse. I am looking at a Charles Daly youth field hunter semi-auto and the stoeger condor youth o/u. Both guns have a short length of pull (12 1/2" and 13") similar weight (a little over 5 lbs.) and 22" barrels. I need input on which is a better gun for the situation. She made me a beautiful oak gun cabinet for Christmas :D with the help of her uncle, he is a custom cabinet maker. The gun cabinet is amazing and top of the line, probable worth around $3,500. Think she's a keeper? :lol: So I want to give her something she can shoot comfortabley without any problems.

·
Registered
890 Posts
In a 20GA if she is going to shoot 3" shells I would go with an auto, 3" 20 GA in a Youth Model kick pretty good and that could be an issue with a pump or O/U.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have her try out a Remington 11-87 20ga. Mag. they shoot 2-3/4 & 3" Shells
I have one and love it for Skeet/Trap. and also have made a Few Kills with it.
Just not a Long Range gun. They run Around $500-600.
If thats to Much, Try a Benelli Nova, Pump 20. I have Noticed that my 12 Pump does not seem to have any more Recoil Shooting 3" Mags compared to my Gas Auto. ALso Benelli makes a shorter Stock that Easier to hande{I am short armed} they have Shims for the Stock to Adjust the Comb, and also Make a Mercury Compensator that goes in the Stock to Reduce Recoil, they Run about $75.00. You can Pick up a Benelli at Gander Mountain New for Around $300.00. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Beretta 391 20ga. is the perfect women's gun.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If she is used to the Mossberg 20 ga. and likes how it works, get her a youth stock for it. Most likely can find one for under $50.00...least thats what mine cost me when I bought one for my kids too shoot the Mossberg 20 ga. pump I have had since I was 11. Real good starter gun.
If she really takes off with the shooting sports, I would go along with lwingwatcher with the Remington LT-20. And yes....sounds like you have a keeper.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
TSS Caddis said:
Beretta 391 20ga. is the perfect women's gun.
I will agree with this, I own one that I use for some late season grouse and woodcock hunting as well as preserve pheasants. It doesnt kick hard and is as smooth as can be. If you dont want to break the bank and dont want a pump either than I would suggest the O/U over the autoloader between the two you mentioned above. It might have a little more kick but in the end when you are buying a lower grade gun the O/U has a lot less things that can go wrong compared to a auto loader.
Ric

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
don't want to sound like a stoegger slappy, but...

the stoegger 2000 might be an option if cost is big consideration. camo'd they're about $400 for the 12 gauge. They must make a 20 (I'm assuming).

My dad has one and likes the 12ga. just fine and it won't break the bank.

I also saw a 20ga. rem 1100 at a wally world on clearance for $450 - gloss wood it was pretty nice looking! (thought even crossed my mind!)

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Branta said:
\
the stoegger 2000 might be an option if cost is big consideration. camo'd they're about $400 for the 12 gauge. They must make a 20 (I'm assuming).

\!)

actually they dont. Kinda surprising but they are sticking to the 12's.

Im going to ask my wife to chime in on this one. She has alot to say about proper gun and fit for a smaller lady like herself. :lol:

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you are going to be using it for clays I'd say go with a 12ga and light loads much better than a 20 ga >
You can adjust the loads for the use much better than a 20 ga.
I have been teaching kids and they handle the 12ga well your gal should too.
Just use 7/8 or 1 oz loads to start with .
Get a gas auto that fits !

·
Registered
565 Posts
My wife has a 391 beretta youth 20 ga. and loves it. Light, fits well, and shoots real smoooooooth!!! To me it was worth every penny because I knew she would use it for a long time because doesn't shoot that much - ussually the women that shoot regularly end up moving up to a 12 ga. Also it will be a good gun for a kid to learn with.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think you are on track with the Condor O/U 20 gauge. They shoot 3 in. shells and is a very light, good looking gun. I have one for quail hunting and I like it quite a bit and am thinking of getting a full choke for my lady to possibly try in the turkey woods. I will have to see how it patterns and kicks with turkey loads but for shooting trap and ducks for a lady I think it would be ideal. Also, I think it is a lot safer, compared to the semi-auto for those folks who don't shoot that often and it has a good classic look to it. Go with the Condor....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts