Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Once burned once learned. Those that do not learn from history are bound to repeat it.

View attachment 628969

Buy things when they are available not just you need them.
I have plenty of Small rifle primers and some good ones but one particular load in one particular rifle favored the Remington 7 1/2 primers I even have quite a few of those just wish that Remington wasn't discontinuing their reloading components.. I hardly feel burned by this, just sad to see a good thing end..

Reactions: Luv2hunteup

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
It would be the first .30 cal I would own and would become a bit of a 'do all' medium-big game rifle for whitetail upto elk. I am wanting to go on some western trips to chase some different species and had settled on something in 30 cal. After many hours of scouring forums and websites for anecdote, opinion, and worse I settled on .30-06.
I think you will like the Tikka T3 in 30:06 d_rek. I borrowed my wife's a couple years ago and worked up a good Bison load for it. Tried it out at home first on a nice whitetail and then went out west and tagged a 2,000# Buffalo with it. Both one-shot kills with the hand loaded 200 grain Nosler Partition bullet. If you get yourself set up to reload and then stock up on components you won't need to worry about ammo shortages...and you can load for any game in North America.

IMG_3382.jpg

Zeroed it for 200 and then got a 225 yard shot on my Bull.

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think you will like the Tikka T3 in 30:06 d_rek. I borrowed my wife's a couple years ago and worked up a good Bison load for it. Tried it out at home first on a nice whitetail and then went out west and tagged a 2,000# Buffalo with it. Both one-shot kills with the hand loaded 200 grain Nosler Partition bullet. If you get yourself set up to reload and then stock up on components you won't need to worry about ammo shortages...and you can load for any game in North America.

View attachment 629053

View attachment 629055

View attachment 629057

View attachment 629059

View attachment 629067
damn that is a lot of prime meat there.

·
Super Moderator
35,161 Posts

View attachment 629053

View attachment 629055

View attachment 629057

View attachment 629059

View attachment 629067
The pic with the Buffalo in the field reminds me of that GI joe with the squirrel lol. Dang thing is huge!

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
As long as demand stays high shortages will persist. Once the gun shows start making the rounds people will find reloading components and ammo. Prices will still be high.

I noticed yesterday that Walsh’s in Caseville has elected to send their more popular items to online auctions. They don’t name the price and let them market decide what 450 Bushmaster is worth to consumers. I can’t say that I blame them.

Reactions: d_rek

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
This forum is also making me think seriously about getting into the reloading (eventually). I always told myself I wouldn't have time for it, wouldn't want to do it, didn't want the hassle of storing, maintaining, and operating extra equipment... but it sure would be nice to not have to worry about supply and demand in swing years so much! Maybe later this year or the next i'll consider getting a full reloading setup and start to stock up on supplies as they (hopefully) become more available. I did notice reloading gear outside of bullet components - presses, dies, etc. - also seems to be in short supply.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I really dont think things are going to go back to normal ever again. Normal being that you can just drop into your local gun store and pick up whatever caliber you want and however many boxes you want for a fair price. There are talks of taxing ammunition beyond anything reasonable as a gun control measure. The next 4 years will be a constant attack on firearms and gun ownership which is going to keep people panic buying and new gun owners not knowing what fair pricing is and buying what they can when they can. Or gun owners being out of the loop. This shortage and panic started back in March and a lot of people dont shoot enough to know about it until they go to buy the 2nd box of ammo for the year for their deer gun. 8 years of Obama panic and not being able to stop into walmart and buy 22lr was enough for me to spend the 4 years of trump and rock bottom prices my firearms and ammunition investment time. I fear if you dont have it now, or dont have a big budget then you wont be having it ever. I hope I am wrong. I purchased enough for me to shoot for years and for my children to inherit a good amount of ammunition in the thousands of rounds of several calibers and in some cases tens of thousands of rounds waiting to be loaded on the press. If you have and can afford it try to help new shooters out. I gave away a brick of 22 to a guy at the range with his son that only had one box. Hopefully he and his kid can shoot for a bit longer now. If you reload, take the time to show somebody how and if they can provide components let them use your equipment. Thats been the most common thing for me lately is showing friends who bought components a long time ago how to reload and let them use my equipment with me. Good luck everybody.

·
Super Moderator
35,161 Posts
Was at the big C today and they didn't have powder or primers but they seemed to have a fair amount of brass and bullets. Didn't check the range of calibers but I did see 284 for sure.

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
I've got 30/06 that I could sell it depends what type you want. I was buying 30/06 in the past when I could but now I reload my own ammo I was buying factory just to get the damn casings but luckily last year Starline started making brass and now I'm set.
Check your "conversation folder" baycountyhunter.
don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cjoform is right on! Can you folks not remember that we could not even buy .22 rimfire the whole time Obamnot was in office? Could not buy a case of shotgun shells if you were going out west?

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
Cjoform is right on! Can you folks not remember that we could not even buy .22 rimfire the whole time Obamnot was in office? Could not buy a case of shotgun shells if you were going out west?
Nope, they were just harder to find and more expensive. The Bush years were scary when you couldn’t buy primers.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I know 2020 was unprecedented in terms of gun sales, but it seems that there is a pattern of supply and demand related to politics and presidential elections that manufacturers should be well accustomed to at this point. So what gives? Why are we experiencing such drastic shortages again? Perfect storm of COVID-related disruptions? Poor planning on manufacturers behalf? Something else?

Reactions: Chessieman

·
Registered
18,244 Posts
I know 2020 was unprecedented in terms of gun sales, but it seems that there is a pattern of supply and demand related to politics and presidential elections that manufacturers should be well accustomed to at this point. So what gives? Why are we experiencing such drastic shortages again? Perfect storm of COVID-related disruptions? Poor planning on manufacturers behalf? Something else?
Supply and demand. Supply is finite.

The one manufacturer someone posted up detailed increased hours/production.
Which is possible due to having secured components in advance.

Ramping up production for possible short term increased volumes of sales , costs.
Starting with acquiring components...
Important mention was made of labor. It is and art and a science. And any deviation from assured quality is not desired. With "new folks" building upping the odds of variance.

Schedules for firearm and ammo builders is booked well ahead.
Demand assures distribution is well received.
Equipment repair or replacement keeps production chugging.
Expanding capacity by more factory space and new equipment is going to hinge on investors ,or owner risk tolerance.
My guess is playing with a pat hand while sales are already improved is satisfactory enough.

We've swung through this before as you mentioned.
When demand eased last time , if you or I had invested millions in increased capacity , would we have recovered enough?
Todays retail clime detests inventory sitting around. No money in that. Plus the space taken up.
A gunshop now closed was ordering during the prior "shortage".
Ammo trickled in in a manner suggesting warehouses were trying to spread stuff out ,vs simply filling any order complete. Of course they couldn't ship what they didn't have either.
But lots of ammo was and is being manufactured. (!)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Three years ago suppliers were left holding reloading components that customers wouldn't buy, because of Republicans holding all three branches. Building new plants based on current shortages is speculative at best.

Reactions: d_rek

·
Registered
426 Posts
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ls-girlfriend-front-daughter-commits-suicide/

This is the problem it is not only California releasing criminals but New York was doing the same. They want to take away guns from law abiding citizens while letting criminals roam the streets to kill.
https://www-nbcnewyork-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/rape-victim-dies-9-days-after-ambush-attack-on-manhattan-sidewalk/2448782/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16106239067078&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/rape-victim-dies-9-days-after-ambush-attack-on-manhattan-sidewalk/2448782/

The news won't say that this man was released a week earlier because of NY less stringent laws. Some districts went to no bail in the summer so rioters would destroy property, if caught they were released next day and right back to assaulting people and destroying property. But if you pointed your gun at these animals they would go after you. It seems leaders want anarchy from criminals so they can increase restrictions on the law abiding citizens.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts