Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
It would be the first .30 cal I would own and would become a bit of a 'do all' medium-big game rifle for whitetail upto elk. I am wanting to go on some western trips to chase some different species and had settled on something in 30 cal. After many hours of scouring forums and websites for anecdote, opinion, and worse I settled on .30-06.
That's a really nice rifle. I would grab it if it's what you want.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...-great-ammo-shortage-of-2020-when-will-it-end

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
Well I hadn’t considered the ammo shortage would persist into 2021 like it has and now it has me reconsidering a purchase I was about to make. I found a good deal on a tikka tx3 Hunter in .30-06 from a private party but there is almost nowhere to purchase .30-06 ammo either locally or online. Everywhere is out of stock or back ordered. And the retailers don’t know when stock will be available again.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the state of guns and ammo availability? Seems silly to buy a gun that I cannot shoot, or don’t know when I’ll be able to shoot. Kind of bummed because I am pretty excited about the gun.

Sent from d_mobile
Found a variety of 30-06 ammo for you. No excuses now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Ammunition/search?Keywords=30-06+ammo&Sort=13

Reactions: d_rek

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm thinking ammo and reloading supplies will slowly become available again this summer. Just expect to pay through the ass for them. I doubt prices will ever go back down where they were. I started buying reloading equipment when I couldn't find any 450 bushmaster ammo after I bought a gun last month. But it doesn't do me any good when I can't find any primers to reload with so that plan is on hold till I can find some primers. oh you can buy them on gunbroker.com for a insane price. Screw that.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I put an order in to get a Henry Long Ranger 6.5 creedmoor. When i was at the gun shop they had a nice used CZ 550 full stock in 6.5x55 it was so tempting to buy it at the time as I have same rifle in 30/06 and they are old world style close to the Mauser 98 but I have reloading stock for the creedmoor so I ordered the Henry instead. May take a year just to get the Henry.
That CZ would be hard to pass up.

Reactions: Justin and d_rek

·
Registered
146 Posts
The same as yours - nothing around, anywhere. My local Wal-Mart has had two boxes of .222 Remington for about a month and that's it except for a scattering of .410/28 ga. shells. There is no rationale expectation for this to get any better in the foreseeable future and I suspect it will get only worse because , anti-2nd. Amendment advocates are getting more and more ginned up for their anti-gun agenda following the 2016 election. If you reload you might be a little better off but not much mostly because of primers. I know this isn't a political forum but recent elections and the resultant calls for more and more gun control are a major but not the only part of it. Those of you who are wailing about not being able to find any ammo for a rifle, shotgun or handgun you have or want to buy but voted democrat ...you're reaping what you've sown. I assume you didn't want this to turn into a political debate but politics are playing a huge role in it.

9mm Hi-Power
As many members have noted, we have and likely will experience this shortage every 4 years. If you choose to place the blame solely on politics you are entitled to that opinion. However, this is not the political forum. You may want to watch a few YouTube videos from the CEO's of ammo manufacturers for a better understanding.

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
I'm thinking ammo and reloading supplies will slowly become available again this summer. Just expect to pay through the ass for them. I doubt prices will ever go back down where they were. I started buying reloading equipment when I couldn't find any 450 bushmaster ammo after I bought a gun last month. But it doesn't do me any good when I can't find any primers to reload with so that plan is on hold till I can find some primers. oh you can buy them on gunbroker.com for a insane price. Screw that.
I’m not saying it will be available in your price range but they do pop up on auction sites.
https://bid.sslfirearms.com/lots#YX...vbl09YWxsJmxvdFttaWxlX3JhZGl1c109MjUmcGFnZT0x

I got lucky and picked up a 1,000 Remington 7-1/2 primers from a mom and pop combination liquor store/sporting section in the summer. I was surprised to find them but they were new stock, I was happy to pay $40 plus tax since it saved me gas money from driving all over the NLP. Now if Sierra would get Barnes up and running I’d be happy to over pay for some .451” bullets.

Randy’s had a 1,500# pallet of Hornady products delivered about a week prior to Christmas. Maybe they still have stock left.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I got lucky and picked up a 1,000 Remington 7-1/2 primers from a mom and pop combination liquor store/sporting section in the summer.
I wouldn't plan on getting any more of those in the future. I received an email from Remington forwarded from a supplier that they will no longer be selling reloading components under their brand.. This stinks as the 7 1/2's were my favorite small rifle primers..

Reactions: Luv2hunteup

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is the ammo thing simply supply and demand, hoarding or what. I seen one video, I think from federal. They said they are making and shipping ammo, but I don’t see it showing up on store shelves or available on line.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Given my experiences and recollections of what happened during the last Democratic administration win, I think your probably looking at 2 years minimum, before you see any "consistency" in ammo supply at most retailers. Even then, prices will remain high, until the supply catches up to and surpasses demand.

Given the typically "anti-firearms", stance of the party currently in power, and the likelihood of a steady parade of legislation aimed at "controlling" firearms, I feel its quite plausible to think that the current situation in regards to both supply and prices may be the "new normal", for longer than many might think.

Hopefully I'm wrong......

Sent from my SM-A505U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
5,663 Posts
Given my experiences and recollections of what happened during the last Democratic administration win, I think your probably looking at 2 years minimum, before you see any "consistency" in ammo supply at most retailers. Even then, prices will remain high, until the supply catches up to and surpasses demand.

Given the typically "anti-firearms", stance of the party currently in power, and the likelihood of a steady parade of legislation aimed at "controlling" firearms, I feel its quite plausible to think that the current situation in regards to both supply and prices may be the "new normal", for longer than many might think.

Hopefully I'm wrong......

Sent from my SM-A505U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
:yeahthat:

9mm Hi-Power

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well you all convinced me to snap up the rifle. I figure between the price and current availability I’m getting a deal, and I’ll worry about ammo as it becomes available.

Sent from d_mobile

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
I wouldn't plan on getting any more of those in the future. I received an email from Remington forwarded from a supplier that they will no longer be selling reloading components under their brand.. This stinks as the 7 1/2's were my favorite small rifle primers..
Once burned once learned. Those that do not learn from history are bound to repeat it.

7BDAEC2B-7837-4BD6-8C95-E80FDD401845.jpeg

Buy things when they are available not just you need them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well you all convinced me to snap up the rifle. I figure between the price and current availability I’m getting a deal, and I’ll worry about ammo as it becomes available.

Sent from d_mobile
I have Winchester Extreme Points some Winchester Ballistic Silver tips some Vortx coppers and a few others I would have to look I am now a reloader so I will be getting rid of the factory stuff. The only ones I will keep is my Norma factory ammo. I want the Norma premium quality shell cases so no sell of any Norma ammo as the Oryx bullet is incredible on deer besides the quality of the casing.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have Winchester Extreme Points some Winchester Ballistic Silver tips some Vortx coppers and a few others I would have to look I am now a reloader so I will be getting rid of the factory stuff. The only ones I will keep is my Norma factory ammo. I want the Norma premium quality shell cases so no sell of any Norma ammo as the Oryx bullet is incredible on deer besides the quality of the casing.
Ok I’ll keep that in mind. I’ll send you a PM.

Sent from d_mobile

·
Registered
35,250 Posts
Reactions: d_rek

·
Registered
426 Posts
Not for sale for at even twice the price. This will get me by. The Federal AR match are all that’s left from a case.
Prices will be resetting higher when supplies come back. This time last year 1000 primers would cost you between $27 to $40 for a 1000. I expect it will be $40 to $60 after everything calms own until the next shock takes prices even higher. I have the Federal Match same as you that I bought a 1000 of last year at the time I think the were $40 online and I had bought 5000 Federal 215M primers.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts