Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hadn’t considered the ammo shortage would persist into 2021 like it has and now it has me reconsidering a purchase I was about to make. I found a good deal on a tikka tx3 Hunter in .30-06 from a private party but there is almost nowhere to purchase .30-06 ammo either locally or online. Everywhere is out of stock or back ordered. And the retailers don’t know when stock will be available again.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the state of guns and ammo availability? Seems silly to buy a gun that I cannot shoot, or don’t know when I’ll be able to shoot. Kind of bummed because I am pretty excited about the gun.

Sent from d_mobile

·
Registered
18,221 Posts
Buy it if you want it.
I'd have been scrambling for ammo as soon as I liked the rifle.
I'd come up with some.

Here's a try.
30-06 Springfield Ammunition For Sale | Vance Outdoors

Guns and ammo are gonna suck for a while. Heck they have been.
Manufacturing sets up for a run and when done move on to the next one.
Demand pulls inventory from built stock. Nothing new there.

I have cases for one caliber ammo I'd like another rifle for. But prices are insane vs years ago when I bought last. As is the goose chase for quality arms anywhere near reasonable.
Lucky for me , I'm fairly well set.
I should be hitting smaller shops as I go by to check for some certain stuff. But am not desperate yet either.

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Premium Member
5,659 Posts
The same as yours - nothing around, anywhere. My local Wal-Mart has had two boxes of .222 Remington for about a month and that's it except for a scattering of .410/28 ga. shells. There is no rationale expectation for this to get any better in the foreseeable future and I suspect it will get only worse because , anti-2nd. Amendment advocates are getting more and more ginned up for their anti-gun agenda following the 2016 election. If you reload you might be a little better off but not much mostly because of primers. I know this isn't a political forum but recent elections and the resultant calls for more and more gun control are a major but not the only part of it. Those of you who are wailing about not being able to find any ammo for a rifle, shotgun or handgun you have or want to buy but voted democrat ...you're reaping what you've sown. I assume you didn't want this to turn into a political debate but politics are playing a huge role in it.

9mm Hi-Power

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
If you want that gun ...buy it now. You dont know whats coming up the pipeline with the Dems in control. Youll find ammo for it at some point. New guns should be bought soon. Couple on my list soon.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Well I hadn’t considered the ammo shortage would persist into 2021 like it has and now it has me reconsidering a purchase I was about to make. I found a good deal on a tikka tx3 Hunter in .30-06 from a private party but there is almost nowhere to purchase .30-06 ammo either locally or online. Everywhere is out of stock or back ordered. And the retailers don’t know when stock will be available again.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the state of guns and ammo availability? Seems silly to buy a gun that I cannot shoot, or don’t know when I’ll be able to shoot. Kind of bummed because I am pretty excited about the gun.

Sent from d_mobile
As a rifle looney, my other rifle looney friends and I have always spent too much on rifles and not enough on ammo, although plenty on both.

Does the rifle do something you want to do that can't be done just as well by some other rifle that you already have like shooting a deer at ~200 yards? The good deal on the tikka is only a good deal if you have a use for it. I have four .30-'06 rifles including two hunting rifles, so I couldn't find a need for another short of free. YMMV.

.30-'06 would be one of the first hunting rounds I expect to see available again, so don't let the chambering deter you.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a rifle looney, my other rifle looney friends and I have always spent too much on rifles and not enough on ammo, although plenty on both.

Does the rifle do something you want to do that can't be done just as well by some other rifle that you already have like shooting a deer at ~200 yards? The good deal on the tikka is only a good deal if you have a use for it. I have four .30-'06 rifles including two hunting rifles, so I couldn't find a need for another short of free. YMMV.

.30-'06 would be one of the first hunting rounds I expect to see available again, so don't let the chambering deter you.
It would be the first .30 cal I would own and would become a bit of a 'do all' medium-big game rifle for whitetail upto elk. I am wanting to go on some western trips to chase some different species and had settled on something in 30 cal. After many hours of scouring forums and websites for anecdote, opinion, and worse I settled on .30-06.

·
Super Moderator
35,031 Posts
It would be the first .30 cal I would own and would become a bit of a 'do all' medium-big game rifle for whitetail upto elk. I am wanting to go on some western trips to chase some different species and had settled on something in 30 cal. After many hours of scouring forums and websites for anecdote, opinion, and worse I settled on .30-06.
You chose a nice rifle.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Going with a popular round such as the 06, will more than likely see an increase in production faster than some less popular caliber options. Manufacturers I would think, would want to ramp up production for a caliber most sought after, than manufacturing a round that has marginal or specific sales market where they might end up sitting on them for a while. JMHO.

Buy-it, ammo will be available.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Going with a popular round such as the 06, will more than likely see an increase in production faster than some less popular caliber options. Manufacturers I would think, would want to ramp up production for a caliber most sought after, than manufacturing a round that has marginal or specific sales market where they might end up sitting on them for a while. JMHO.

Buy-it, ammo will be available.
I'm not going to be holding my hand over any orifice waiting for 7x57, 303 Savage, 300 Savage, 303 British, 32 Winchester Special, 8x57, 350 Remington Magnum, nor 444 Marlin to show up again. Or even a good supply of reloading components.

Reactions: Lever4ever

·
Registered
35,200 Posts
It is easy to understand your concern. I’ve been on a mission to buy bucket list rifles. In the late summer I picked up a 30TC only because Hornady tooled up and made ammo for it earlier this year. I was able to find rounds for it online plus at Jays in Gaylord. I tested 3 different factor loads then was able to buy a case of the most accurate rounds. Hand loaders can not duplicate the speed of factory ammo since the Super Performance powder is not available.

Buy the rifle when you can. 30-06 is easy to load if you can’t find ammo to your liking. Component should be easy to track down if that’s what it comes down to. Sooner or later gun shows will pop up all over the place once vaccinations become more common.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
All praise Jays in Gaylord. Even from here up near Marquette, it is one of the places to go if you really need it.

Reactions: yooperkenny

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have enough 22lr's and 22mag rounds to last a lifetime but I'll be damned if I can find any 357 or 44mags anywhere. Looks like the 22's are going to get a work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm not going to be holding my hand over any orifice waiting for 7x57, 303 Savage, 300 Savage, 303 British, 32 Winchester Special, 8x57, 350 Remington Magnum, nor 444 Marlin to show up again. Or even a good supply of reloading components.
Try .358 Winchester, 2 rounds left, gonna be sitting for awhile.

·
Registered
423 Posts

Sent from d_mobile
I've got 30/06 that I could sell it depends what type you want. I was buying 30/06 in the past when I could but now I reload my own ammo I was buying factory just to get the damn casings but luckily last year Starline started making brass and now I'm set.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Try .358 Winchester, 2 rounds left, gonna be sitting for awhile.
I put an order in to get a Henry Long Ranger 6.5 creedmoor. When i was at the gun shop they had a nice used CZ 550 full stock in 6.5x55 it was so tempting to buy it at the time as I have same rifle in 30/06 and they are old world style close to the Mauser 98 but I have reloading stock for the creedmoor so I ordered the Henry instead. May take a year just to get the Henry.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts