Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys as i promised I would post pictures of my Gsps more usful side

Last year I go really sick of pulling the kids on the sled so I hook 1 of the dogs to it well now I am at a 3 dog team and I think they could pull me

Here is pictures of the 2 dog setup I will take some pictures of the 3 dog rig today when the kids drag me out of here

scott

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crosswind said:
Laroe ,you have finally found your nitch in dog training.You will go far,LOL

Well beleave it or not these dogs LOVE pulling this sled Jester will back up to it if its sitting out Cheif wont back up to it but he still loves it

They will look at each other and pull harder if they see the other one is pulling harder then him Kinda funny

scott

·
Registered
352 Posts
My niece and her husband are big into dogsledding,they say that there several people in there group that use hunting dogs,they do it to help keep them in shape,They cant compete speed wise with the huskies,but if you ever watched them you can see those dogs are having a blast.And three dogs is more than enough to pull you,Just dont let go.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think you're ok on that side of the fence, the other side might provide some entertainment for the neighbors!!!! I'm pretty sure the dogs know whoa, but gee and haw might present some problems....Scott B.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
upnut said:
I think you're ok on that side of the fence, the other side might provide some entertainment for the neighbors!!!! I'm pretty sure the dogs know whoa, but gee and haw might present some problems....Scott B.

I walked them around today around the sub division up and down the roads

people where laughing and having a good time with it

then I had all the kids around wanting rides I ended up giving about 10 kids trips I clocked it with my truck later came up to just over 2 miles

scott

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That's a cool pic, good idea. I read once that Bob Whele took his pointers and won a sled dog competition in New York against some top huskies and malamutes. He did this just to show how athletic bird dogs are.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gregm said:
That's a cool pic, good idea. I read once that Bob Whele took his pointers and won a sled dog competition in New York against some top huskies and malamutes. He did this just to show how athletic bird dogs are.

dang that would be neat I would like to read that

I would be ok until a grouse flushed along the trail or somthing then BANG I would be on a road trip

scott

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
timbergsp said:
I would be ok until a grouse flushed along the trail or somthing then BANG I would be on a road trip
That's kind of what I was thinking, that could get crazy, especially if it was a double and each dog decided to chase a different bird.

I can't remember exactly where I read that at. It was in one of my many magzainzes I get about bird dogs. If you google it, the story pops up. Apparently it was a 30 mile race and everyone laughed their butts off when he pulled out these skinny short haired dogs that were shivering like mad. But when the gun when off and he yelled "BIRDS" the dogs got this crazed look in their eyes and took off. Not only did he win, but he shattered the record, or so the story goes.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I Googled this topic and wound-up on a sled dog forum on which the pointing sled dog question was discussed.

http://www.sleddogcentral.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5592

It appears that some "mushers" really like the pointing breeds--in fact, I got the impression they're fairly common in competition. However, it looks like a lot of them prefer (yuk!:bloos: to me anyway) pointing breed/sled dog hybrids.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
FindTheBird said:
I However, it looks like a lot of them prefer (yuk!:bloos: to me anyway) pointing breed/sled dog hybrids.
From my understanding, most sled dogs are MUTTS! You do get the occasional breeder that sticks within the breed but most are breeding on ability and could care less on the pedigree!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
dyemen said:
From my understanding, most sled dogs are MUTTS!
Didn't know that: makes sense because bird dogs have some obvious physical traits that many non-hunters/non-field trialers may find ideal. My guess is that they'd also do very well in agility, frisbee contests ect.
I just have a very hard time picturing a pointer/husky mix!

·
Registered
358 Posts
timbergsp said:
OK guys as i promised I would post pictures of my Gsps more usful side

Last year I go really sick of pulling the kids on the sled so I hook 1 of the dogs to it well now I am at a 3 dog team and I think they could pull me

Here is pictures of the 2 dog setup I will take some pictures of the 3 dog rig today when the kids drag me out of here

scott

FYI TimberGSP, If the weather gets soupy and you can't see to well my GSP "has a very shiny nose, and if you ever saw it, you would even say it glows"....but you'll have to let her play in all the doggy games... :16suspect

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ballgame19 said:
FYI TimberGSP, If the weather gets soupy and you can't see to well my GSP "has a very shiny nose, and if you ever saw it, you would even say it glows"....but you'll have to let her play in all the doggy games... :16suspect

LOL well if he can pull a sled put me on it I will be just fine

scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts