Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
what about dragging the Grumman with outboard on the downward side of dike? Seems like even trimmed all the up you would catch the dike when the boat re entered the water.....I know you said before carrying the outboard was how it was done forever....just wasnt sure if you meant mainly your 14’36” Jon’s ?
We don’t have an issue with this. Trim up and it won’t drag.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
what about dragging the Grumman with outboard on the downward side of dike? Seems like even trimmed all the up you would catch the dike when the boat re entered the water.....I know you said before carrying the outboard was how it was done forever....just wasnt sure if you meant mainly your 14’36” Jon’s ?
lotta boats with outboards. no issue.

i run a 9.9 on my grumman. i can plane out, be at my field in about 5-10 minutes, push pole down the corn row and setup. with one of those small mud motors i'd probably get 3mph out of it and be there 30 minutes later. yeah i won't have to push pole into the field but...i can live with it. plus the rig is light still. if i broke winch i can take apart rig and pull it all over by hand if needed. not doing that with mud motor.

·
Registered
534 Posts
lotta boats with outboards. no issue.

i run a 9.9 on my grumman. i can plane out, be at my field in about 5-10 minutes, push pole down the corn row and setup. with one of those small mud motors i'd probably get 3mph out of it and be there 30 minutes later. yeah i won't have to push pole into the field but...i can live with it. plus the rig is light still. if i broke winch i can take apart rig and pull it all over by hand if needed. not doing that with mud motor.
agreed. A quick paddle down the corn row is no big deal for us. All the channels are perfect for an outboard. Like you said the beauty of the grumman, is that if the winch or the motor breaks down, we can still get out without help. (Paddle out and hand pull the dike - both very easy with a light set up like a grumman and 2 hunters)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ash- when you say “paddle” are you using canoe paddles or oars? Would be hard to row a corn row? I would think a push pole would be easiest down a corn row.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ash- when you say “paddle” are you using canoe paddles or oars? Would be hard to row a corn row? I would think a push pole would be easiest down a corn row.
I said "corn row" I meant paddling just outside of the corn in the decoy opening. Push pole is easier if you are by yourself. I usually hunt with another person, so paddling both in front and in back works perfect for us. The only time the boat is in the corn is to hide it, and we usually tuck it at the end of the zone or where there is already busted down corn. It would be too narrow of a space to paddle down a row.

edit: yes using the paddles not the oars. I did the oars once by myself and it was painful. My shoulders were on fire. Not for me.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Just checked the price for lewis winch, $940 and seems like chain saw motor is not included. Hopefully, $50 winch from Harbor Freight last a few seasons. It burns out as soon as it is stops from turning by some blockage. I think I can use my ATW winch, should be more robust.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Just checked the price for lewis winch, $940 and seems like chain saw motor is not included. Hopefully, $50 winch from Harbor Freight last a few seasons. It burns out as soon as it is stops from turning by some blockage. I think I can use my ATW winch, should be more robust.
should be fun experience. you should go that route.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
How about going old school and just bringing a block and tackle? Starts every time. Doesn't need gas, oil, battery. I have one in a mesh bag that I have brought to Shiawassee but I also have two sons age 21 and 25.

Ken

·
Registered
355 Posts
Took Dan's advice and went the Grumman route back in 2011. Started with an Evinrude 4hp but wanted a little more power and now have a Mariner 9.9 hp. Not the fastest rig but will get you where you want to go safely. Absolutely love my Grumman had the modifications done to it over the last few years by Butch to make it Shiawassee friendly. I carry rollers in my rig as back up in case winch goes down to push over dikes. In my opinion it's still a hell of a job to manually pull up those Shiawassee dikes, rollers help. Instead of a push pole I like oars had to use them couple years ago when pull cord snapped on my 4 hp. Two hunters and 1 dog no problem, you can do two and two but I learned that the 2nd hunter and dog can't exceed much over 200 lbs. Here's a few pics of my Grumman.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Took Dan's advice and went the Grumman route back in 2011. Started with an Evinrude 4hp but wanted a little more power and now have a Mariner 9.9 hp. Not the fastest rig but will get you where you want to go safely. Absolutely love my Grumman had the modifications done to it over the last few years by Butch to make it Shiawassee friendly. I carry rollers in my rig as back up in case winch goes down to push over dikes. In my opinion it's still a hell of a job to manually pull up those Shiawassee dikes, rollers help. Instead of a push pole I like oars had to use them couple years ago when pull cord snapped on my 4 hp. Two hunters and 1 dog no problem, you can do two and two but I learned that the 2nd hunter and dog can't exceed much over 200 lbs. Here's a few pics of my Grumman.
THIS is the exact boat I want. Very nice!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
THIS is the exact boat I want. Very nice!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
to me, thats the ultimate michigan wetland wonders rig. can go anywhere....even 3 mile hikes out at shiawassee....and do the small run to a field at fish point. nice rig.

·
Registered
355 Posts
to me, thats the ultimate michigan wetland wonders rig. can go anywhere....even 3 mile hikes out at shiawassee....and do the small run to a field at fish point. nice rig.
She got a new paint job this year too.

Only draw back with the outboard that I've found is when hunting marsh areas. You can get bogged down in the thick vegetation even when trimmed up. Maybe now that I have the larger motor that might help idk yet as I haven't taken the 9.9 hp into a marsh area yet. What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I recognize your rig and dog. Saw you out in the same field as us once. Was a good day. We have almost exactly the same setup. Minus the light bar. Ours is below the bow.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I recognize your rig and dog. Saw you out in the same field as us once. Was a good day. We have almost exactly the same setup. Minus the light bar. Ours is below the bow.
Yes I remember running into you two years ago. Lights use to be on the bar have since moved them down under the winch mount. Winch got in the way of the beam and caused a terrible glare. I still have the red/green running light on the bar.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great boat! Ran one for years. Quite a bit heavier than your standard aluminum canoe but very stable and sturdy!Bumped into a water control valve at Shiawassee in the dark and fog and never dented it!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts