Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to grouse hunting. I'm more of a duck hunter but do enjoy grouse hunting they taste much better then ducks and geese. my question is what kind of habitat or terrian should I be looking for say in the area of NW lower Michigan for the December season providing there is not much snow. Any advice?

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Gene Hill described grouse hunting as a round of sporting clays inside a broom closet.
If your hat doesn't get knocked of your head at least twice each half hour you are not in dense enough cover.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
In the Decembar season, look for palces you would hide if Sasquatch were chasing you, and make sure they are located near winter food sources. A little stream or crick makes it nice too.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Indiana:D
oh well you would need to have seen some of the post over the last couple years. the birds seem to like aspen trees that are about fist sized trunks near some other cedar or pine or scrub oak. not to say they wont be any where but the chances go up in these areas

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
If you going to be near Baldwin the ranger station has maps of their aspen cuttings and grouse management areas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts