Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did the grouse season go in the UP this season? This is the first year I have missed going to the Newberry area in several years. My hunting partner had a serious heart attack and was not able to travel. He is getting better but still has a long way to go. Hope everyone had a great time and I will be back next season.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
I found it to be ho hum. Not horrible but numbers were lower than last year.
Summarizes my thoughts pretty well. I was up there three times this year. Oddly enough, things seemed to pick up as the season progressed, but still not to past years numbers.

I've been hunting this same general area since 2011. First three years were pretty steady, with 2014 being the down year.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
The yoop was good to me this fall, I had some pretty good days and a couple not so good.

Hope you partner gets well enough to make the trip next fall. It is a special place and should not be missed.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I found the grouse numbers just slightly less than 2013 but woodcock were quite a bit down.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Anybody see any wolfs ?

I see 6-10 a year, didn't see any this year while grouse hunting. We did spook one in December that I could see ran off. Probably heard me huffing and puffing in the snow😊

·
Registered
325 Posts
I haven't been in a couple years now, hoping/thinking of going back this season. Miss it. Wolf situation is my sole reason for not going. I know risk is low, but I'm not sure I could forgive myself. Coward!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I didn't hunt u.p last year but did hunt northern lower Michigan numbers were down first week in oct. but was told by others things picked up later on. I don't understand that I hunt a lot of aut. olives and birds were just not using them any one know why.. I thought maybe they wear not ripe.. I don't know

·
Registered
584 Posts
I flushed birds every trip. I think I flushed more birds than previous years but my covers have steadily been producing more birds and I have not gone back to lack luster spots. I'm still very early in my upland career so I haven't really strung together any consistency as far as flush rates and productivity yet.

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the posts. I had a good year at home this year. The season lasts until the end of Feb but I do not hunt the last month due to the snow in the higher elevations. I do love to spend my 10 days in the UP every Oct. Again thanks

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Have seen wolves pretty much at least once a year the last 5 years or so.

Mike
Mike, did you go to "our" area? Haven't been back since I sold the camp. I miss the bird hunting. How was it last year?

Our top cover the last 2 years we went to the UP was right across the river from your camp we visited. Across the river, bear right up the rutted hill and then go around in there........2 Brothers Cover. Saw moose there, no wolves.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey Bobby, I knew your place was for sale didn't realize you sold it. Figured we missed you because we had to change weeks the last couple years. We continue to go to the same area. Each year we see moose sign but haven't seen one yet. We've seen a wolf close to the river, another by our 2nd camp location just south of the river and a couple closer to where Ben hunts. Over there one was chasing a doe down the road. Last year a couple road hunters watched one come out of the woods minutes before us take a "dump" in the road and continued on. The road hunters heard the beepers and told us when we exited. Bird numbers remain good but birds were jumpy. We moved a fair share but had to get further off the beaten path. More road hunters and less bird dog/hunters than previous years.

Mike

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Hey Bobby, I knew your place was for sale didn't realize you sold it. Figured we missed you because we had to change weeks the last couple years. We continue to go to the same area. Each year we see moose sign but haven't seen one yet. We've seen a wolf close to the river, another by our 2nd camp location just south of the river and a couple closer to where Ben hunts. Over there one was chasing a doe down the road. Last year a couple road hunters watched one come out of the woods minutes before us take a "dump" in the road and continued on. The road hunters heard the beepers and told us when we exited. Bird numbers remain good but birds were jumpy. We moved a fair share but had to get further off the beaten path. More road hunters and less bird dog/hunters than previous years.

Mike
I was there the 2nd week this year. I saw less birds than last year. The ones I did see were really jumpy. Not as many shots. Moved north and there was someone at each one of my spots all week long. we have to be close to the bottom.

In MI does property need to be posted to keep hunters out?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts