Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew! Wasn't sure if I'd ever get these. Please excuse the poor quality of pics but think they show up good enough to tell the difference.

Grey Phase

Red Phase

Intermediate Phase

Grey Phase with Chocolate Band.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Cool pics Dave...

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Nice pics. . .the more I think about it, maybe I should have saved this one for a mount. . .oh well, guess I have to find a bigger and better one.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Cool pitures. I have a couple of projects in mind for some talis once i shoot em

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Interesting: I was unaware of the intermediate phases...:gaga:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Awesome pics! Looks like you got enough to make a large fan for your
significant other to use while she's fanning you and feeding you grapes....

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
This was my first attempt to make the famous Andy Ammann grouse tail display that I never could afford at the R.G.S. auctions. It did look better before my new pup had her way with it. Anyway I was told the top fan (12) is a choclate and it's from Minn. The next clock wise is a red the bottom is a gray and the last(c.w.) is a brown and these all have chocolate tips. when you size these picture you loose some of the defination.

These tails are all different shades of gray but have all black tips

This tails are all different shades of reds but have all blacktips

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
WD,

Do you do the fans like a turkey fan and then just hook them together.

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
Pretty much then in the middle you put cardboard (this also covers the staples to hold the fans) so what ever feathers you use in the middle (the one in mine are woodcock tails). The real Andy Ammann plaques would then have other type feathers inside of the woodcock like chucker, peacock, pheasant, huns the list was endless. I even seen one some with grouse chest feathers and grouse down(I though was rabbit fur). I don't have access to exotic birds and mine are very crude compaired to those made by my hero (Andy). This plaques are still being made (by a friend of Andy's) and are given out to the D.N.R. Chief that retire. I try to find a picture of the one I made for BearCreek. That one I didn't use center feathers (didn't have any) so I just used a bigger picture of his dog that pasted away opening day of grouse season. You can see in the second picture the one that is streched to almost 90% doesn't work as well as those not fully spread. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Reds with the choco tail are by far the prettiest in my opinion. I'm going to mount one if I shoot it. Then I'll decide if it goes to the taxidermist or not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts