Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to take my father in law out grouse hunting in the northern lower. I haven’t hunted grouse since I was a kid in the UP with my grand father. I’m thinking the first weekend of November. It’s the first chance I’ll have to get away from work for a while. Is that going to be too late in the year?
My father in-law had a pretty bad health scare last year and I really just want to get him outdoors with a shotgun in his hand but it would be really cool if we could get on a bird or two.
Not looking for anyone’s spots or anything just wondering if the birds are still productive this time of year. Any other tips for a newbie wold be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try the state and federal land west of Oscoda. I was up there three weeks ago and only had a few flushes but I feel it was too early for that area as the trees still had all their leaves. Too much food and cover causes birds to spread and not hanging in the normal honey holes where there is food and water making them much harder to find.

Normally I average a flush every 2 or 3 hours of hunting that area. Not great but I can get up there and back quickly - unlike U.P. hunting which should be better.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
If anything, more productive when the leaves are down. I find more grouse in their traditional areas in November too. Look for aspen stands and you should do fine. If no dog, walk a zig zag pattern and be ready. I see a lot more grouse near two tracks that time of year as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice. It would be really cool to see the old man knock one down.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Avery lake area in montmorency county (Avery Hills I believe)...stay in the area of Avery lake road west of 487 and east of Lakeview Dr...if you get too far north or south it gets pretty hilly and might be tough for your FIL...we didn't have a dog so we'd walk casual and stop a lot...every time u stop look out ahead...if we walked they walked...when we stopped and they couldn't hear us they would flush right in front of us...saw lots of birds doing this...just couldn't shoot straight...that's why I took up duck hunting...decoying birds where easier to shoot...lol

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hunting the last two years in Huron national forest with a dog it's relatively rare I don't flush a grouse. Hitting them or even getting a a good look at them is a different story. For some reason I'm flushing more woodcock than grouse this year. They're easier to hit. There's also state land up there which might be as good or better. I can give you more particulars if you want but I'm certain my areas aren't special.

Btw, new to the forum and look forward to discussing birds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts