Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to take a trip to either Grayling MI or DeTour Village in the UP before Jan 1.

In both location I have over 50 acres to hunt with the dogs.
I was wondering what location would be better for Grouse. Both location have alot pines and state land is near.

I didn't want anyones secret spots so don't yell at me. :yikes::D:SHOCKED:

This would be the last trip to either location for the season and I want to find Grouse so let me know what location is better.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Bring your snowshoes. 50 acres isn't much land for grouse. Not trying to discourage you but, there is a ton of snow and you may be the only grouse hunter out up there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
If your fitness is good you will have a great time! Most places north of ahhh; well in the area you describe with pine and aspen are awesome to hunt now! Yea the deep snow is a workout but you will have the woods to yourself! Its great. The deep snow and slower moving humans keep your dog closer and covering the cover inch by inch too.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
50 acres isn't much, but there's lots of public land in both areas. You might just need to do some driving and exploring. I prefer UP MI to LP for grouse, but I can't say that I have hunted either of those specific locations. There's a lot of snow right now. I hunted for 5 hours on Sunday in the LP and I'm still sore (it's Weds). As a point of reference, I'm 28 and run marathons...

Take a look at the interactive snow depth charts:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html

Make sure you change the "physical element" field to "snow depth" (the default is "snow/water equivalent"), click "redraw map", then zoom in on your areas. I've found their snow depth estimates to be quite accurate.

Good luck with your trip and be sure to keep us posted with the results!

KW

·
Registered
391 Posts
KW, Thanks for the link. I this could be a very useful tool for many of us I imagine.
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts