Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow stick bowyers, I have an opportunity to work in NE Mich for the next three months and would like to find Fred Bear's old hunting camp Grouse Haven. I haven't had the time or luck to get the location although I've heard it is in the Rose City area. I didn't get the opportunity to meet the man as I didn't start bowhunting until '88' but would love to see some of his old hunting grounds. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am just guessing here, but I would check the state park just east of Rose City...7 lakes state park I think...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, I can understand if people are tight lipped about the location. I just wanted to put a visual to some of the stories I have read in his field notes and biographies.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Get up to grayling and go to the grayling restoraunt. He ate breakfast there every morning. He had a place on the river around there and the old factory whats left of it is still there. The old fred bear museum is still there but i think its a teen hangout now. If Ya want to know where grouse haven was ask Ted Nugent He was there.

·
Registered
538 Posts
In Rose City there is a little grocery store by artesian well just south of the bowling alley on M-33 it used to be jerrys general it was the place where fred bought his last michigan hunting license

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Check out the "Lone Pine" restaurant also in Grayling just north of town on 27 before the airport, it`s been awhile since I have been there but they had alot of old mounts and artifacts from Fred. Pete Kocefas from "Sledheadusa.com" in Frederic is an expert on all things "Bear" and was a close friend of Charlie Kroll, has a bunch of Fred Bear info on his site. Yeah not much left of the museum in Grayling. Good luck, let us know what you find. Mike

·
Registered
659 Posts
Pete has one of the better collections that I've had My eyes on.

Reactions: Hoytman5

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Grousehaven is located a couple of miles Southeast of Rose City, adjacent to Rifle River State recreation area. They were part of the same parcel prior to the State purchasing Rifle River in the mid 1940's. Grousehaven was around 3,000 acres in size. Fred Bear never owned Grousehaven, it would have been way beyond his means. It was owned by Bill Boyer, who was a retired General Motors executive and Bear Archery would lease it for a month during the fall every year for their hunting camp. Not sure if it is still intact or whether it's been broken up and sold off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The old Bear Musuem at Hansen Hills in Grayling was torn down this past spring.If you want to see a lot of old Bear memorabila go to the Bear's Den Pizzeria downtown Grayling, they have a nice collection .DICK

·
Registered
20,914 Posts
I had not heard that they tore down the old museum/ski lodge I wonder what they did with the bear statues? I will second the lone pine rest. He was a regular there and my dad had lunch there with fred many times, They have a small though very authentic collection that was given by Fred when he still lived in grayling. I have heard of the sledheads collection, never seen it.

Freds home is right next door (south side) to the remaining part of the factory, it is a dentist office/home of Dr. Barry Fenn. I was there last year looking at a job. He was telling us some storys about Bear fans who still come there including one family who came to spread a loved ones ashes (he let them) I got the impression that he was fairly receptive to visits, if approached respectfully. Charles Krolls home was next door (south) of Freds.

Another place that meant a lot to Fred is Bears Bend on the Manistee river west of grayling on m72. Its been a long time since I have been there but after you cross the river there is a party store on the left. It is a couple miles south on the road beside the store on the left side of the road. if you catch one of the old timers at the lone pine or one of the other spots they might have better directions. This belonged to Fred but he shared with the public and I believe he gifted it to the state after he left grayling. When he was younger he spent a great deal of time camped out there fly fishing, instead of at his home.

Fred and Henrietta Bear were some of the nicest people I have ever known. I wish I had been older and wiser when Fred and my father were spending time together I should have listened more closely to his hunting stories. I was 12 when he moved to Florida. about 14 the last time he stopped to visit my father. Good luck in your quest !

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for the tips and locations in the Grayling area. It's the perfect time of year to pay tribute to a great fellow that did alot for the true sportsman of the woods. I'll be in the Rose City area tomorrow.......extended lunch break!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Grousehaven was the name of the state park before it was donated to the state. The biggest Lake in the park is Grousehaven and is where the rifle river starts. The foundation for the lodge is still there with a cool observation tower that overlooks the lake. The park also has a number of very nice cabins (five I think) for rent if you can find an opening.

Brett

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks to all for the tips and locations in the Grayling area. It's the perfect time of year to pay tribute to a great fellow that did alot for the true sportsman of the woods. I'll be in the Rose City area tomorrow.......extended lunch break!!

Dang bro, if you have to work, at least you can spend the first part of bow season, experiencing some of the great bow hunting history of Michigan. Not jealous you gotta work, but jealous you get a very cool lunch break!

Happy Hunting!

John

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I used to hunt some adjoining property to Grousehaven.Take Rose City Rd.East to Schmitt Rd,turn right and the care takers trailer sat on the left almost to the curve that turns South.There was a sign over the drive way at one time that proclaimed the property as Grousehaven.One of the guys I hunt with sister used to be caretaker there...It's too bad that the property has been divided up and sold.Not sure how much of the original property is still intact..We used to see Fred in Glen's once and a while.A lot of history there for sure.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Skull.....I was out that way on Fri. and there are no signs in the area... I knew I was close but time was limited that day. The directions will help alot. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts