Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the opener of grouse season is only about five weeks away so BIGSP and I decided to take a "Grouse Cover Road Trip" in search of new places to hunt this year. Literally a "Man vs. Nature" :yikes: Road Trip.

Ground rules - no dogs, no reminiscing of last year's triumphs, no stopping at country taverns for a few cold "travelers". No not us and not today. We would only seek out covers as fresh and pure and untried as an 'unwrapped' bride.

So off we headed with maps marked with spots recommended by the DNR , fresh batteries in the GPS and a full tank of discount gas.

First couple of areas were like this - nice along the edges of the two tracks but quickly deteriorating into mature deciduous forests up the hillsides :

Time for an early morning break along a country road:

Along this road was a ton of Black Huckleberry bushes with immature berries, great grouse food but unfortunately on private land:

So after exhausting the DNR suggested spots we struck off on our own and found an absolute jewel. 100s and 100s of acres of aspen that have been cut in succession:

An earlier cutting in the same area:

Here I am showing BIGSP what an aspen sapling looks like:

BIGSP - "Well you think you're so smart? I'm the king of the hill and I've got the SUV keys and it's a long, long walk home."

Not to be intimidated I set off cross-country in a snit but soon BIGSP came down the trail to pick up his "Uncle Mikey " :

It always seems that whenever one finds a spot or area on a map that looks like it might be good cover or you go to a spot suggested by a DNR official etc. that these spots usually turn out to be so-so at best. But while traveling to and fro one invariably stumbles across a real find - like we did today.

Great day, great weather, we saw a two nice bucks - 6 and 8 point - together on the road in front of us in one spot and a couple of new places to try some bird huntin' come October.

Hoppe's no.10

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It is nice to live in Michigan.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
great post, great way to spend the day...

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
You've got me geeked for some scouting! I'm hoping for a little next Saturday (hunting dog stake at Gladwin on Sunday) but HOHW I need to get more serious about it before the season starts...

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I either got to get scouting or give up hunting. Except for the U.P., my covers are long over grown.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks for making this post. You inspired me to get out of the house yesterday and make a trip up north. I'm off work Monday, so I believe I'll stay up here for a couple of days.

I found a ton of birds in my old hunting spots yesterday. LOTS of woodcock. I counted over 20 in less than 2 hours. Also found a few broods of grouse as well.

The weather is perfect for a scouting trip. The only drawback is the mosquitoes. Dive bombing little bastards. :rant: Thank God for Deet.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Nice pictorial!!! Thanks for sharing.

I hope to get out to look at some covers in the next week or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts