1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Sounds good if you hunt the Eastern U.P.
I wonder who collected that data? I didn't think the MDNR had any money budgeted to run the drumming survey.

I think the Michigan peak will be in '10 or '11. We'll have to see a decline in Minnesota before the peak arrives here in Michigan.
Maybe fodder for another thread or poll but I wonder how many guys on this board had better numbers (grouse flush rate per hour) in '06 than they did in '07?
Personally I feel that 2007 was a correction year.
2006 was so much better than 2005 the cycle had to correct as it was rising too sharply, this has been seen before in decades past.
Fun stuff to discuss in August. :D

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Our camp had a much better flush rate in 07 than in 06 and we are in the NLP.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
'07 kicked '06's butt in my area by nearly 2.4 flushes/hour on the grouse. I did take a bath on woodcock in '07 though and actual flush per hour numbers were almost identical.:confused: I hope you are right Scott, but my early scouting is not so promising on big grouse numbers. I just ran the dogs hard Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and flushed two grouse in some pretty good cover. No family groups.:(

·
Banned
792 Posts
'05 was the bottom of the cycle and the worst season I've had in 38 years. Flush rates will increase every year until '09- '10 then starts the decline.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Sounds good if you hunt the Eastern U.P.
I wonder who collected that data? I didn't think the MDNR had any money budgeted to run the drumming survey.
As far as I know they didn't....I'm wondering where they pulled that data from. Could possibly be some student research or another organization. Looks like the E. UP had grouse and woodcock data...:confused:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Went out scouting this morning for about two hours. Cooper flushed two fat grouse about 40 ft. from me and then another went up when I was giving him a drink. Got too hot to do any more walking after that so I took him swimming in the nearest trout stream. Didn't find any woodcock. This was in an area where I saw someone banding them back in May.
Last week we went to some local state game areas that have some marginal cover but lots of food and didn't find any birds (wasn't surprised though). Hope this turns out to be a good fall, just need it to start out cooler than last year.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I am not encouraged by what I have seen or heard. I have been in the Easter U.P. and N L.P. and haven't seen many or had any of the locals tell me that they have seen many.

They all did say that they had heavy cool rains the first 3 weeks of June. Not good for baby grouse.

I thought last year was horrible and the year before was much better. I believe that 04 was the low point for me in the cycle.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Ironically, I had two flushes (grouse) at a zone 3 SGA this weekend.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
04 was the worst season I can remember, 05 I thought was about like 07, 05 may have been a bit better even then last year for me. 06 was much much better then any year since say 01. But in O6 we had near perfect fall weather, it rained a lot, we had an early hatch that spring, and we had fruit in the woods. But then again, I mean we are talking 10 flushes a season in a good year and 4 in a bad year, so its not like South Dakota Pheasant hunting.

·
Banned
792 Posts
'05 was the bottom of the cycle and the worst season I've had in 38 years. Flush rates will increase every year until '09- '10 then starts the decline.
I looked at my records this morning and you are right Fred it was '04 that was my worst for grouse flushes. '05 was nothing to write home about. I doubt I'm going to see the flush rates at the top of the current cycle that I had in '98-'00. In '06 had the highest number of flushes on woodcock that I've had in several years though.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
This is interesting, I just received my Grouse Tales newsletter and Ken is reporting Michigan drumming survey data from 2008.
Up 21% statewide from 2006 as no data was run in 2007 due to budget constraints. The lower northern (Zone 2) shows a slight decrease but the Upper (Zone 1) shows a HUGE increase going from 11.2 to 17.32 drums per route in 2008.

Sounds like spending gas money getting to the Yoop will be worth it this Fall.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My camp is in Iron County (UP) and I have flushed a number of covey's of grouse this summer on our property. The last time I saw this many young birds was the last peak cycle a number of years back. In June we flushed a Woodcock that had 3 little ones from where she flushed.
BY us in the Western UP this should be a very good year for birds.

Buckman

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is interesting, I just received my Grouse Tales newsletter and Ken is reporting Michigan drumming survey data from 2008.
Up 21% statewide from 2006 as no data was run in 2007 due to budget constraints. The lower northern (Zone 2) shows a slight decrease but the Upper (Zone 1) shows a HUGE increase going from 11.2 to 17.32 drums per route in 2008.

Sounds like spending gas money getting to the Yoop will be worth it this Fall.
Don't worry I'm not gonna tell you I told you so. :D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
for me 04 and 05 about the same with 05 a little better 06 and 07 horrible for me around here and on Drummond Island but breaking in new pups both years. Last week spent three days on the island saw some good groups not many woodies though.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Don't worry I'm not gonna tell you I told you so. :D:D:D:D
What's interesting is not the increase in numbers, we all know we are trending upward in the cycle right now, but rather where did tha data come from?
I was under the impression that the DNR stopped running the survey routes but apparently that was only for one year(2007) and the drumming survey was once again done this Spring, expect the numbers to be posted within a couple weeks is what I'm told.

·
Registered
531 Posts
No WAY! (re: the survey)...Weird.

Scott, what is a "correction year"? The more I hear twisted logic like that, the more I lean towards Fritz's theory of breeding season vs. cycle.

Oh, and...
I think the Michigan peak will be in '10 or '11. We'll have to see a decline in Minnesota before the peak arrives here in Michigan.
That is MY crackpot theory, thank-you very much...but you are welcome to it.

Ok, my experience in the last decade or so:
BEST
'99, '00, '06

WORST
'94 (I only mention it because it was THAT bad)
'04
'07

GOOD...Every year not mentioned.

Cycle? Who knows...I do contend, however that the Upper feels a push before the lower. That has been my experience through 3 "cycles", hunting both penninsulas.

Having scouted in the Upper and Lower extensively this summer, I would have to say that the Lower will surge in '09. I am thinking that '08 looks like '98 in the Lower. Slightly above average...Food and cover are plentiful.

Speaking of that, one thing that may keep flush rates down is the amount of food and cover, ALL OVER the woods. Won't be as easy to pattern birds this year, believe you me. Prepare for long, perhaps aimless walks.

I LOVE this kind of talk!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts