Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to the world of grouse hunting and I was wondering if someone could provide me some tips or advice on habitat, etc. Or, if there are recommended resources on the net that you are aware of would be terrific. A few things that I am particularly interested in knowing are:
- Is there a better time of the day to be out? morning, midday, etc?
- Should I stick with trails/paths in the woods as I have come up on them in the past while running and hiking. Or are there better spots? I was out with my dogs walking the woods Sunday and we found ourselves trudging through long grass and I wasn't sure if I would want to avoid that or not? I remember driving to camp as a kid and the bush road was where I always saw them.

Thanks for your help!

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
You would be better off doing some google research then to ask the yahoos on this board about where to find grouse. These guys would likely tell you to check young aspen stands.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've had my best luck after 9 am. 'till lunch and then from 2pm. to about a half hour before dark. At my age I only hunt trails and 2 tracks. Dogs are for brush busting.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I found a pretty good spot for some grouse. It's pretty small and I can probably cover the whole thing in 1/2 hour or so. How long before I should go back through there again? Is going back the next day too soon?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I found a pretty good spot for some grouse. It's pretty small and I can probably cover the whole thing in 1/2 hour or so. How long before I should go back through there again? Is going back the next day too soon?
Probably but, I can guarantee that other people have probably gone through that same cover after or before you. If it's only 1/2 cover, I would look for some more similiar to that one.

I probably don't live too far from you and I can tell you there isn't a ton of great grouse hunting around here. It's better than Detroit but, you really need to drive at least 2 hours to get into any real good cover. Pretty much all my spots in West Michigan are 1/2 hour hunts as well. There are a few big ones but not tons.

Aspen cuts on this side of the state are few and far between. Look fro swampy areas but, not too swampy. You want brush but, not grassy stuff. If there's a lot of grass in your cover there probably won't be a ton of birds. Look for ferns and a heavy canopy. Dogwood berries, autumn olive are also good bets. The nice thing about those types of covers is they don't die out like Aspen cuts do.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Depends on how many birds you took. If cover is few and far between, you're not going to "chase" the birds out of there. However, if it's that small, you might think about taking one or two grouse and calling it quits for the season. As mentioned by others, you're probably not the only one hunting it. Woodies are different, and if you're hitting flight birds I wouldn't worry about over hunting it. Just my thoughts...

KW

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Probably but, I can guarantee that other people have probably gone through that same cover after or before you. If it's only 1/2 cover, I would look for some more similiar to that one.

I probably don't live too far from you and I can tell you there isn't a ton of great grouse hunting around here. It's better than Detroit but, you really need to drive at least 2 hours to get into any real good cover. Pretty much all my spots in West Michigan are 1/2 hour hunts as well. There are a few big ones but not tons.

Aspen cuts on this side of the state are few and far between. Look fro swampy areas but, not too swampy. You want brush but, not grassy stuff. If there's a lot of grass in your cover there probably won't be a ton of birds. Look for ferns and a heavy canopy. Dogwood berries, autumn olive are also good bets. The nice thing about those types of covers is they don't die out like Aspen cuts do.

Good luck.
The spot is not near home it is up north. There is a LOT of area in the same general area that looks similar if not identical but I just don't see the grouse near as much as this one "honey hole".

I'm not sure whether there will be a lot other hunters. I am heading up tonight to give it a go tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Luckily grouse are a little lazy... like me...

I hunt by my stomach... After a good breakfast (will not name the place :D) I hunt until I'm hungry... then cheese balls and a pbr (will not name the place :D)... then I hunt until I get hungry again... the I head back for either more cheese balls and pbr... or a burger and a killians (will not name either place)

All to be repeated the next day... with a headache

·
Registered
245 Posts

I hunt by my stomach... After a good breakfast (will not name the place :D) I hunt until I'm hungry... then cheese balls and a pbr (will not name the place :D)... then I hunt until I get hungry again... the I head back for either more cheese balls and pbr... or a burger and a killians (will not name either place)

you can never turn down cheese balls. Nor the cheese sticks. Just hope they don't use Famunda cheese. Hopefully we can visit that breakfast place real soon.

·
Registered
9,632 Posts

Mmmmmmm....All great places! :D

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The spot is not near home it is up north. There is a LOT of area in the same general area that looks similar if not identical but I just don't see the grouse near as much as this one "honey hole".

I'm not sure whether there will be a lot other hunters. I am heading up tonight to give it a go tomorrow.
that is one of the main keys to grouse hunting- learning the covers. i've got areas that almost always produce and other very good looking areas that dont seem to hold a bird.

you can get some tips, but in the end, only experience will teach you which are the best covers and to some extent when. grouse will move around during the course of the season feeding on the choice food. if you arent afraid to walk or afraid of getting lost, you will find them. good luck

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

I know where you eat. From the reports I have been getting in this area nobody seems to be moving many grouse. Anything different from your sources?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I know where you eat. From the reports I have been getting in this area nobody seems to be moving many grouse. Anything different from your sources?
If I can drag him out of the city and into the woods...maybe he can let you know! :lol:

Cheese balls and $1 PBR that sounds like a great sig line...hey wait... :D

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
If I can drag him out of the city and into the woods...maybe he can let you know! :lol:

Cheese balls and $1 PBR that sounds like a great sig line...hey wait... :D

I know where you eat too.:D Couple of buddies up in that area have not seen many grouse. I am going to try and get up there in 2 weeks if your in the area maybe we can get a PBR or 2.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I know where you eat too.:D Couple of buddies up in that area have not seen many grouse. I am going to try and get up there in 2 weeks if your in the area maybe we can get a PBR or 2.
This weekend I will be on the west side. I was hoping we may be in the PBR:)lol:) area next weekend...but someone has a wedding to attend, right Scott! :rolleyes:
Maybe two weeks will work out...

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Thought you guys would find this interested. a Pat killed today had been feeding on blueberries. Bet that bird is going to taste good.

Berries are way behind this year so there are still lots in the woods. Keep that in mind when you head north in the next week or so.

I might go out tomorrow AM for a few hours with the pup and see if I can put a bird or two up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts