Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Are you a group thinker?

• Yes

• No

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Good lord man.... I'd have more luck trying to understand the teachers in the Peanuts cartoons than I would trying to get a handle on what you've written there. Yeesh.

So, tell me what you don't understand, I'll help you with the words and/or phrasing you don't understand.

·
Super Moderator
35,316 Posts
Good lord man.... I'd have more luck trying to understand the teachers in the Peanuts cartoons than I would trying to get a handle on what you've written there. Yeesh.
Lmao I think you're becoming one of my favorite posters. Don't worry, I won't put you on "follow" though lol

·
Registered
839 Posts
Identify and out, the sugar daddies and the group think will settle to a full roar. Or less, when the purse strings get tied.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
You may not realize the fact that there can different ideas before the final product it presented to the customer, perhaps if that is what you meant, you should have said that.
Really?

How does that work on an income tax return during an audit? Do you explain to the auditor that you used group think rather than some code section to determine a deduction?

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,436 Posts
Group think exists. The fact we all participate, is not an argument it's irrelevant. You don't want all fly fishermen panel, making fish regulation, nor an all bait fishing panel. Same with an all republican panel, or democrat. Group think exists for many reasons, and it usually is not to the benefit of what it is involved in. Comes in many forms, and reasoning for it's existence. "Acceptance" is probably the biggest reason for group think.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Replying to the OP - I am not a group thinker.
I have absolutely no interest in what any particular group thinks.
On occasion, I will change my mind on a subject after listening to or reading an opinion by a person whose philosophy I respect.

·
Premium Member
28,194 Posts
You may not realize the fact that there can different ideas before the final product it presented to the customer, perhaps if that is what you meant, you should have said that.
I believe he does accounting... so super rigidly defined and regulated with basically zero room for "different ideas".

·
Registered
509 Posts
I see this referenced a lot around here and am curious to know who is a group thinker?

group·think
/ˈɡro͞opˌTHiNGk/
noun
noun: group-think
  1. the practice of thinking or making decisions as a group in a way that discourages creativity or individual responsibility.
    "there's always a danger of groupthink when two leaders are so alike"
I’m an individual thinker as long as the group won’t pound me and some suet into pemmican.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
It was "Good Lord", it was "Good Grief".
Wasn't necessarily shooting for an all Peanuts themed post... Oh well. Just didn't understand what he was saying. It seems like Brewster gets a little grumpy with my posts sometimes. Just trying to come up with different products for him to take a look at. It doesn't seem he likes any of them though.

·
Super Moderator
35,316 Posts
Wasn't necessarily shooting for an all Peanuts themed post... Oh well. Just didn't understand what he was saying. It seems like Brewster gets a little grumpy with my posts sometimes. Just trying to come up with different products for him to take a look at. It doesn't seem he likes any of them though.
Well whatever the aim point, I think its funny to solicit self reflection that instantly strikes a nerve (because its 1. Straight to the point and 2. True).

·
Premium Member
10,618 Posts
I know, your post just made me laugh and all I could think of was Charlie Brown muttering Good Grief.

·
Registered
18,284 Posts
Must not do tax accounting.:evilsmile
Accountants are very affected by group think.
Tax code and the I.R.S. are no individual.
Nor is a courtroom when grievous errors are deliberate!

Friend of a friend (yes I met him and did an unrelated transaction) did time after being naughty in others tax preparations.
Then after getting sprung and being warned not to....Did it again...

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Must not do tax accounting.:evilsmile

Friend of a friend (yes I met him and did an unrelated transaction) did time after being naughty in others tax preparations.
You guys haven't been keeping up. It has been a number of years ago when our Uncle started putting more and more controls on accountants/tax preparers. It hit rock bottom when they decided to give us the new title of "External Stakeholder" with what I guess was the quasi-goal of maximizing taxes collected.

For most of us old timers though, GAAS, GAAP, and the IRC were the three main books of the Bean Counter's Bible. Many other sources for regulations, but the bottom line was and to me still is, that while you can't know it all, you do need to recognize the question and then know where to find the answer. I can count on one hand the number of times where I came across something that wasn't already covered in the regulations. In those cases you used something as close to common sense as possible, and then made a full and complete explanation of why you did what you did, and attach it to the return.

·
Premium Member
10,618 Posts

People take liberties on taxes all the time. Risk of audit is low, unless you submit something totally egregious. My in-laws used a CPA that was crediting them over 20k in charitable donation deductions annually. When she retired, they asked me to do their taxes. I took one look at a previous year's return and told them not to expect me to do that. Who knows how else she cheated. They didn't get caught, but their refunds sure decreased with me doing their returns.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
People take liberties on taxes all the time. Risk of audit is low, unless you submit something totally egregious. My in-laws used a CPA that was crediting them over 20k in charitable donation deductions annually. When she retired, they asked me to do their taxes. I took one look at a previous year's return and told them not to expect me to do that. Who knows how else she cheated. They didn't get caught, but their refunds sure decreased with me doing their returns.
Care to guess why children had to start having SSAN's for income tax purposes?

It started at age 5, and millions fell off the rolls the first year. It went to age 2, and more somehow vanished. That isn't just the taxman doing that, the taxpayers knew the game and how to play it. Regulations finally required a paid preparer to make a photocopy of each new child's SSAN Card and keep it on file.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts